Maryland's High Yield?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ruleser

Re: Maryland's High Yield?

Postby ruleser » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:05 pm

b.j. wrote:
ruleser wrote:I would say there are so many other schools serving the same market that only locals apply to maryland - for example, as an OOS, I never thoughy about it. I got waivers from and applied to w and l, last time w and m, gulc, gw, american, gmu, and uva. That pretty much covers it for someone not from the area - with all of those, plus t14 competing for the market, 1) I never even hear of/think about md, 2) couldn't see moving across the country to go to a school that is beneath all of these rankings wise, with a better liklihood of working in md than dc maybe.

So getting mainly locals applying, those who don't get into one of the above schools or who wants to work in md is prob pretty likely to accept. Fwiw, I don't really recall much tls talk about applying to the school or the school in general, unlike all of the others mentioned.

GMU, American, and Maryland are all located within a few spots of each other. In fact, Maryland is one spot ahead of American in the latest US News rankings. I can see how the others might be superior choices because they are more competitive, especially UVA, but why would American and GMU be such better choices than Maryland?

Because they are DC schools rather than MD schools (GMU is just a couple miles) Fair or not, U Maryland never hit my radar, I saw this headline and thought it was a T3, or at least T2. Honestly, there are so darned many schools in that little area of DC/VA, that there just isn't room to also throw in MD. Either that or they need to do like WandM/WandL/GMU and send out some serious fee waivers. The others top MD because they are DC.

b.j.

Re: Maryland's High Yield?

Postby b.j. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:24 pm

ruleser wrote:
b.j. wrote:
ruleser wrote:I would say there are so many other schools serving the same market that only locals apply to maryland - for example, as an OOS, I never thoughy about it. I got waivers from and applied to w and l, last time w and m, gulc, gw, american, gmu, and uva. That pretty much covers it for someone not from the area - with all of those, plus t14 competing for the market, 1) I never even hear of/think about md, 2) couldn't see moving across the country to go to a school that is beneath all of these rankings wise, with a better liklihood of working in md than dc maybe.

So getting mainly locals applying, those who don't get into one of the above schools or who wants to work in md is prob pretty likely to accept. Fwiw, I don't really recall much tls talk about applying to the school or the school in general, unlike all of the others mentioned.

GMU, American, and Maryland are all located within a few spots of each other. In fact, Maryland is one spot ahead of American in the latest US News rankings. I can see how the others might be superior choices because they are more competitive, especially UVA, but why would American and GMU be such better choices than Maryland?

Because they are DC schools rather than MD schools (GMU is just a couple miles) Fair or not, U Maryland never hit my radar, I saw this headline and thought it was a T3, or at least T2. Honestly, there are so darned many schools in that little area of DC/VA, that there just isn't room to also throw in MD. Either that or they need to do like WandM/WandL/GMU and send out some serious fee waivers. The others top MD because they are DC.

That's what I figured you'd say.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”