no undergraduate GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

no undergraduate GPA?

Postby novumcollegium » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:57 am

My undergraduate institution, while providing a fantastic education, does not assign numerical grades, but rather has its students take courses on a pass/fail basis. For every course you take, you receive a detailed written evaluation of your performance. I do have good grades on record from graduate school (almost finished with my MA- thesis goes to committee this week!) at a major university in Europe.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the lack of an undergraduate GPA in the application process?

Re: no undergraduate GPA?

Postby opus127 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:06 am

Hi, I can guess from your username that you're from the same college that my brother graduated from a few years ago. I know a few of his classmates did just fine on law school applications despite the lack of a GPA. The one I talked to about it told me most schools asked her to submit a few representative evaluations, but she said one school asked her to submit ALL evaluations from all her classes. My impression is that the LSAT is more important than usual if you don't have a GPA, and it may take longer than usual for schools to give you a decision, but that not having a GPA won't necessarily hold you back.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”