When do Dec. LSAT takers hear back re: admission?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
taw856

When do Dec. LSAT takers hear back re: admission?

Postby taw856 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:30 am

This has probably been covered in previous years, but I couldn't find it via a quick search, so if someone has a link to a prior thread, that's cool too...

...wanted to ask when people who were first-time LSAT takers in December tend to hear back from schools regarding admission? I realize it'll also vary by school and by when Dec. LSAT takers got the rest of their application materials in, but all other things being equal, is there a ballpark timeline?

Thanks!

napolnic

Re: When do Dec. LSAT takers hear back re: admission?

Postby napolnic » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:31 am

You could always scour LSN for December test takers of last year. YMMV but in my experience, rather quickly. You can see my dates on my LSN profile (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/napolnic/jd).

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:13 pm

You may have had a great cycle (in terms of time) because you had a 171.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:17 pm

it's taking ages.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:18 pm

napolnic wrote:You could always scour LSN for December test takers of last year. YMMV but in my experience, rather quickly. You can see my dates on my LSN profile (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/napolnic/jd).

this gives me hope..thank you

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:23 pm

look how long it took Georgetown, though =/

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 pm

sibley wrote:look how long it took Georgetown, though =/

I was mainly referring to such a late app with similar numbers getting such positive results. I don't care how long they take so long as the response is in the positive :wink:

lemonpie

Postby lemonpie » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:39 pm

DCD wrote:
napolnic wrote:You could always scour LSN for December test takers of last year. YMMV but in my experience, rather quickly. You can see my dates on my LSN profile (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/napolnic/jd).

+1

Do you think applying late affected the amount of scholarship you got from UVA and Duke?

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Logically speaking, applying RD in November and January shouldn't make a difference in scholarship money. Why do schools give scholarship money? To boost/maintain their medians for USNWR. A February admit boosts/maintains medians no more or less than a similar December admit. And law schools, at least the ones we're talking about, aren't poor. It's not like they're some little parochial high school in the middle of nowhere that has a severely limited scholarship fund.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:59 pm

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:Logically speaking, applying RD in November and January shouldn't make a difference in scholarship money. Why do schools give scholarship money? To boost/maintain their medians for USNWR. A February admit boosts/maintains medians no more or less than a similar December admit. And law schools, at least the ones we're talking about, aren't poor. It's not like they're some little parochial high school in the middle of nowhere that has a severely limited scholarship fund.

Presumably, towards the end of the cycle, the "scholarship budget" will be smaller.. meaning the remaining applicants are fighting for a piece of a smaller pie in January vs. October/November.

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:03 pm

lemonpie wrote:
DCD wrote:

+1

Do you think applying late affected the amount of scholarship you got from UVA and Duke?

I don't think so. I remember looking through LSN last year and numbers similar to mine got similar amounts. Also, as far as Georgetown, that mainly took longer because they wanted to have an interview which had to be set up and completed before they accepted me.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:09 pm

would you consider yourself a unique applicant in any way? ECs, other softs, awards, fortune 500 company, etc?

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:12 pm

DCD wrote:would you consider yourself a unique applicant in any way? ECs, other softs, awards, fortune 500 company, etc?

Not really, I had one year of WE, but I'm pretty sure my numbers are what got me in.

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:30 pm

DCD wrote:
Jockin Jay-Z wrote:Logically speaking, applying RD in November and January shouldn't make a difference in scholarship money. Why do schools give scholarship money? To boost/maintain their medians for USNWR. A February admit boosts/maintains medians no more or less than a similar December admit. And law schools, at least the ones we're talking about, aren't poor. It's not like they're some little parochial high school in the middle of nowhere that has a severely limited scholarship fund.

Presumably, towards the end of the cycle, the "scholarship budget" will be smaller.. meaning the remaining applicants are fighting for a piece of a smaller pie in January vs. October/November.

I mean, you could be right, but this wouldn't make much sense. First, if most law schools dispersed a huge part of their budget in Oct./Nov., wouldn't a few competing law schools wait to disperse until February or March where they had a better idea of who was applying and be able to leverage that into a comparative advantage? Presumably, people would wait until they were able to compare offers from all the schools they were accepted to. Further, again, I don't think law schools are on budgets that tight. And admissions offices use historical information to predict yield fairly accurately--one would think they could use similar techniques to plan for the most efficient distribution of scholarship dollars (so they could still give out $$ in November/December, and have money left over to give to "late" qualified applicants.)

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:46 pm

DCD wrote:
sibley wrote:look how long it took Georgetown, though =/

I was mainly referring to such a late app with similar numbers getting such positive results. I don't care how long they take so long as the response is in the positive :wink:

I wasn't looking at it that way. Good point. I guess I can try to be patient if there's the potential for lots of positive results...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”