PLease help me for an URM question!!!!! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xiening

New

PLease help me for an URM question!!!!!

Post by xiening » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:54 am

Hi, this is maybe a stupid question, but it will be help a lot if anyone provide any insights. I'm applying this year and I am a immigrant from an Asian Nation around 6-7 years ago. I pick up my English since then (which means I came from knew nothing) and now I'm pursuing my legal career.
I used the Law school predictor to get a view about my chances to the school, but I did see a significant different result if I check URM box, so under my situation, which I did mentioned as my addendum and PS, am i consider a URM or just as a conventional wisdom that Asian does not count.
*I know it is a soft, but i just don't know if is qualified as an URM.
*my LSAT is 168 and under GPA 3.6-3.7 but LSAT GPA is dropping to 3.5 (Cuz my first semester academic probation) :(
Any thought is appreciated! and I hope you guys all best luck for this year's application circle.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: PLease help me for an URM question!!!!!

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:01 am

URM = Under-Represented Minority. Asians are not "under-represented" in academic enrollment, so they are not considered URMs.

thewolfandpeter

New

Post by thewolfandpeter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:02 am

No, you are not a URM.

...and its quite impressive that you scored a 168 on the lsat when u clearly do not have a solid grasp of the english language....how the hell did u manage to pull that off?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:05 am

ntzsch wrote:this guy must be smart as shit, really!
He's Asian.

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:07 am

xiening wrote:Hi, this is maybe a stupid question, but it will be help a lot if anyone provide any insights. I'm applying this year and I am a immigrant from an Asian Nation around 6-7 years ago. I pick up my English since then (which means I came from knew nothing) and now I'm pursuing my legal career.
I used the Law school predictor to get a view about my chances to the school, but I did see a significant different result if I check URM box, so under my situation, which I did mentioned as my addendum and PS, am i consider a URM or just as a conventional wisdom that Asian does not count.
*I know it is a soft, but i just don't know if is qualified as an URM.
*my LSAT is 168 and under GPA 3.6-3.7 but LSAT GPA is dropping to 3.5 (Cuz my first semester academic probation) :(
Any thought is appreciated! and I hope you guys all best luck for this year's application circle.
Eh, I may be the blind leading the blind here. I've heard that Asian is not covered under the URM, because while it is a minority, it is not an underrepresented one. Underrepresented ones include Black, Native American, Mexican-Americans,and Puerto Ricans. Also I think the fact that you immigrated might not be covered under the URM umbrella anyway. But with those numbers (and depending on what school you want obviously), I'm not sure you'd need the boost anyway.

You can take what I say with a pinch of salt though, because someone else here might have a better answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thewolfandpeter

New

Post by thewolfandpeter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:07 am

vanwinkle wrote:
He's Asian.

....but he can barely speak english....wtf? no way he/she could understand all the reading comp passages speaking english like that

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:16 am

thewolfandpeter wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
He's Asian.

....but he can barely speak english....wtf? no way he/she could understand all the reading comp passages speaking english like that
Actually I don't think his English is that bad, it's mainly grammatical errors (which are common for ESL people because learning new grammatical structure can be a lot more difficult than simply learning new vocabulary) and he's able to form complete and intelligible sentences. Given all that he's probably got a good enough grasp of English to read it well and pick the right answer choice (reading is usually easier than speaking/writing).

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:25 am

thewolfandpeter wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
He's Asian.

LSAT not objectively difficult.

xiening

New

Post by xiening » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:26 am

Thanks for all the information! I really appreciated!!!!!!
That gentlemen got a point. RC was my weakness section from the beginning, and I summit another message on the other broad ( i believe is the LSAT prep forum) to explain what I did to improve it. I was lucky enough that Games did not get me a lot of troubles during the process of studying. at last, I also believe LR just take practice to master it.
Granted, I spent more time than many people in order to gain this score. (around 12 hours per day in 4 1/2 months, including weekends and holidays).
Again, I really really thankful for all the info, and I wish you guys the best luck!!!!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:30 am

xiening wrote:Thanks for all the information! I really appreciated!!!!!!
That gentlemen got a point. RC was my weakness section from the beginning, and I summit another message on the other broad ( i believe is the LSAT prep forum) to explain what I did to improve it. I was lucky enough that Games did not get me a lot of troubles during the process of studying. at last, I also believe LR just take practice to master it.
Granted, I spent more time than many people in order to gain this score. (around 12 hours per day in 4 1/2 months, including weekends and holidays).
Again, I really really thankful for all the info, and I wish you guys the best luck!!!!!!!
This is why Asians do better in law school.

thewolfandpeter

New

Post by thewolfandpeter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:58 am

Holy shit....thats truly truly truly insane

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:51 am

you are my hero.

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:43 am

WHAT? Where did you find 12 hours in a day?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:58 am

devilishangelrjp wrote:
WHAT? Where did you find 12 hours in a day?
Are days shorter in Asia?

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:09 am

lwr will be fun

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”