Will two typos keep me out?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
M_F_F_L

Will two typos keep me out?

Postby M_F_F_L » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:10 pm

So I applied to Baylor last week. I try to adjust my personal statement for each school. A few days after I sent my application, I caught two typos (leaving out the infinitive "to"). The two people I had read my statement also missed the typos. I hear horror stories about how statements that contain typos end up in the trash. I guess the question is: Are two typos a deal breaker? My numbers are 3.86/161/URM.

vespertiliovir

Re: Will two typos keep me out?

Postby vespertiliovir » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:21 pm

Not with that nice, juicy URM status.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:26 pm

ntzsch wrote:no!

tinman

Postby tinman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:33 pm

M_F_F_L wrote:So I applied to Baylor last week. I try to adjust my personal statement for each school. A few days after I sent my application, I caught two typos (leaving out the infinitive "to"). The two people I had read my statement also missed the typos. I hear horror stories about how statements that contain typos end up in the trash. I guess the question is: Are two typos a deal breaker? My numbers are 3.86/161/URM.

Is this a flame?

No, it should not not keep you out. I had a duplication error on my resume that I sent to a few schools that was pretty glaring. It didn't keep me out of anywhere.

The reason I asked about whether this was a flame is that with your stats, even without URM boast, you are pretty much guaranteed admission to Baylor.

Not that Baylor is a bad school, but with your stats, you can likely get into a MUCH higher ranked school. What is your URM type? What type of undergrad (state, top university, liberal arts ...)?

tinman

Postby tinman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:40 pm

I just saw from your posts that you are Mexican American. You should get into Baylor with money, and you have a great shot at a T20 school. Don't sell yourself short!

Here is some unsolicited advice: make sure your PS is in good shape from now on. In fact, I would recommend having a professor or someone who you really respect (perhaps a recommender) read your recommendation. I didn't do this for law school, but I did do this for a scholarship during undergraduate. It made a huge difference, and it really taught me how to write good PSs. Especially, if your two readers of our PS are friends or family (and given that they missed your typos), I think you need a couple other readers before applying to the T20. Good luck.

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Two typos! Not just one, but two? Have you considered another line of work? Because you're sure as heck not getting into law school with that level of slovenly application preparation :roll: .

Seriously, you'll be fine. They probably won't even notice. I made a much bigger mistake in one of my applications. Details will be forthcoming after admissions decisions. Should be interesting to see what comes of it.

M_F_F_L

Postby M_F_F_L » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:46 pm

Thanks a lot tinman. That's encouraging. I'm also applying to Texas, but making sure my personal statement is typo free this. What do you think my chances are there?

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:03 pm

M_F_F_L wrote:I'm also applying to Texas. What do you think my chances are there?

You've got a shot, less of a sure thing though.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:13 pm

Apart from the fact that I honestly wonder if you are even serious at all, two typos will not harm you, especially not with your numbers.

M_F_F_L

Postby M_F_F_L » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:37 pm

I was serious, but based on the other post, my worry is completely unwarranted. Thanks!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:43 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:56 pm

No, minor typos will not keep you out. Now, telling UT that you really want to go to Baylor, that's a sure ding/WL.

tinman

Postby tinman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:43 pm

M_F_F_L wrote:Thanks a lot tinman. That's encouraging. I'm also applying to Texas, but making sure my personal statement is typo free this. What do you think my chances are there?

UT will be harder, for sure. But you definitely have a shot. Are you set on Texas? Look at the rankings: http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

USNEWS is not everything, but UT is ranking 15 and Baylor is ranked 65! There are tons of schools in between, but unfortunately only University of Houston in TX.

I think the best way to assess you chances is to look at the graphs for LSN (check out both 2008-2009 and 2009-2010). When you see a lot of green dots around you stats (as you will for Baylor), you are pretty much in. For your numbers at UT it seems like most admits are URM but African American (more of a boast than Mexican American).

UT: http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
Baylor: http://baylor.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

But there are a ton of schools between 15 and 65 that you could certainly get into. Many with money!

I predict you will get money from Baylor. And if you are set on going somewhere in TX, I would still apply to other schools ranked above Baylor to use are leverage in case they don't give you money (because some schools will for sure with your stats).

Send me your statement via PM in you need someone to give it a quick read for typos. I'm procrastinating instead of studying for finals, so it will be a nice break.

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:25 am

To correct Tinman, there's also SMU. You're almost a guaranteed admit there as well, and they provide great access to the Dallas market -- if you're at all interested.

Just some food for thought.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”