Asking for waivers - help

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Asking for waivers - help

Postby Flanker1067 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Hey all,

I am thinking about asking the schools I wish to apply to for waivers. Anyone have an example of the email they sent that worked. I am confused as to whether I should ask for a merit-based waiver or just a general, "hey I would love to apply but I am not working etc....")

Thanks for the help.

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Asking for waivers - help

Postby cardinalandgold » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:03 pm

All I did was tell them why I was interested in applying to their school, gave them my LSAC#, GPA, and LSAT score, and asked if they would be willing to give me a merit based fee waiver. For some schools it worked, for others it didn't. Worth it to try, as even one positive response can save you $$$.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Asking for waivers - help

Postby cubswin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:03 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:Hey all,

I am thinking about asking the schools I wish to apply to for waivers. Anyone have an example of the email they sent that worked. I am confused as to whether I should ask for a merit-based waiver or just a general, "hey I would love to apply but I am not working etc....")

Thanks for the help.



That sounds like a need-based request. I kept all mine short and to the point:

WashU Law:

Hi, I am really interested in WashU and wonder if I qualify for a merit-based fee waiver. My LSAT is a 180 and my GPA is a 4.33. My LSAC # is 1234567.

Thanks,
Applicant


Worked for me, anyway.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Asking for waivers - help

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:04 pm

cubswin wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:Hey all,

I am thinking about asking the schools I wish to apply to for waivers. Anyone have an example of the email they sent that worked. I am confused as to whether I should ask for a merit-based waiver or just a general, "hey I would love to apply but I am not working etc....")

Thanks for the help.



That sounds like a need-based request. I kept all mine short and to the point:

WashU Law:

Hi, I am really interested in WashU and wonder if I qualify for a merit-based fee waiver. My LSAT is a 180 and my GPA is a 4.33. My LSAC # is 1234567.

Thanks,
Applicant


Worked for me, anyway.


Mine was a little bit more eloquent, but had essentially the same content.

User avatar
23fulltimecowboys
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Asking for waivers - help

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:05 pm

there is a thread on this from a couple months back if you dig. basically just say you heard they give out merit-based fee waivers and you were wondering if you qualify. then give your gpa, lsat and lsac #

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Asking for waivers - help

Postby Flanker1067 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Its actually a bit of a need based and merit based. Thanks for the help though. Is there any classy way to include that I am a URM in my email.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Asking for waivers - help

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi.

Want fee waiver. 180/4.33/URM. L32165476
Made 4K last yr.

KThx,
Flanker

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Asking for waivers - help

Postby Flanker1067 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Hi.

Want fee waiver. 180/4.33/URM. L32165476
Made 4K last yr.

KThx



Ok sweet, I'll do that verbatim.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LAW1995, lymenheimer, PossumFiesta and 8 guests