trying to convince my uncle the market IS that bad

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ps494

Re: trying to convince my uncle the market IS that bad

Postby ps494 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Does anyone else find it hilarious when people that know ZERO about the legal profession insist on pushing advice on someone who has researched the hell out of it?

angioletto

Postby angioletto » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:24 pm

ps494 wrote:Does anyone else find it [strike]hilarious[/strike] annoying when people that know ZERO about the legal profession insist on pushing advice on someone who has researched the hell out of it?

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:25 pm

angioletto wrote:
ps494 wrote:Does anyone else find it [strike]hilarious[/strike] annoying when people that know ZERO about the legal profession insist on pushing advice on someone who has researched the hell out of it?

Yes.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Law school would seem to be a poor economic decision for you either way. Retake LSAT.

soda mayor

Postby soda mayor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Veyron wrote:Law school would seem to be a poor economic decision for you either way. Retake LSAT.

I disagree. Coming out of cardozo with a debt around 30k (I already live in NYC) is certainly manageable even if I don't get that Biglaw job or find immediate employment.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:06 pm

Yet don't people typically go to law school to... idk... get a job?

soda mayor

Postby soda mayor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:09 pm

Veyron wrote:Yet don't people typically go to law school to... idk... get a job?

Obviously I have every intention of working hard and finding a job but should I find myself in such a position, I can manage a 30k debt more easily than 150k.

I think many people on this board underestimate the burden of such a high student loan.
Last edited by soda mayor on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

interestedbyestander

Postby interestedbyestander » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:11 pm

soda mayor wrote:
Veyron wrote:Yet don't people typically go to law school to... idk... get a job?

Obviously I have every intention of working hard and finding a job but should I find myself in such a position, I can manage a 30k debt more easily than 150k.

And who says law students can't do math? :lol:

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:16 pm

The point is that you are unlikely to find a job out of either school (at least one where you will be paid a higher salary than with an UG degree alone).

edit: If you have personal connections that you believe will secure you a decent job, please disregard everything Ive said.

soda mayor

Postby soda mayor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Veyron wrote:The point is that you are unlikely to find a job out of either school (at least one where you will be paid a higher salary than with an UG degree alone).

edit: If you have personal connections that you believe will secure you a decent job, please disregard everything Ive said.

I think you're right and the decision ultimately comes down to whether or not one is risk-averse or not. Of course prospects out of Fordham are going to be better, but will they be better enough to warrant risking 96k? It seems that everyone on this board is faced with this decision in some form or another with the general concensus being go to the highest ranked school. I just don't know...

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:31 pm

I know that the economy is poor right now, but I am certain that, unless OP has great references in a high-paying field, he will be able to get a better job with a JD than just with a bachelor's. I know I wouldn't be making 50K right out of UG, and I am almost certain that I will be with a T1 JD.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:34 pm

-
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:41 pm

'dozo doesn't have horrible GPA requirements. i got offered 26k/yr, 100% renewable if top 40%, 75% renewable if top 50%, and 50% renewable if top 65%. So you'd have to be way below median to lose all of it. Also, if at any time you cross back into the top 40%/top 50%/top 65% after having scholarships pulled/reduced, your scholarship is renewed the semester following at the appropriate rate. In other words, if you're top 41% one semester and top 40% the next semester, your scholarship goes back to 100% of the original offer.

That being said, you need to make a decision based on your goals. If you want biglaw, 96k may be a worthwhile investment at fordham because your odds (while low) are significantly improved. You might fare well in government or PI dropping the extra $$ as well since your loans will be forgiven after awhile and you won't have to pay the difference anyway.

Congrats on two great offers. You'll be OK at either school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”