Should I bother applying this cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
soupisgood

Should I bother applying this cycle?

Postby soupisgood » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:13 pm

167/173/3.38, so I guess I'm a splitter. Upward grade trend for the most part; I was pre-med my first two years of undergrad, and that wasn't too pretty.

Studying for the September and December tests (along with the following 3 weeks of not being able to properly focus on schoolwork while waiting for scores) didn't help my GPA; thanks to last semester, my cumulative GPA actually went down to a 3.36, though I haven't sent in an updated transcript to LSAC yet.

I had been planning on sending in all my apps by next week, and my school list was CLS, NYU, Berkeley, Chicago, Penn, Duke, Cornell, GULC, UCLA, and USC. At this point in the cycle, I'm pretty sure that the only "in" schools would be USC, Cornell, and GULC, while everything else would be a "WL/reject" situation, thanks to my splitter status + the general lateness in the cycle.

If I don't go to law school next year, because I'm an international student and have to keep my student visa, I would probably take some craptastic community college courses (that obviously won't budge my GPA), while applying super early in the next cycle and EDing somewhere. Maybe I can find an internship as well, but with my nonexistent WE, I don't know how that would turn out. However, assuming that I can pull off decent grades in my final semester in undergrad, my GPA would probably move up to a 3.4.

Thoughts? I've heard that many schools don't seriously consider applicants that they've rejected in the past, so I don't know if it would be worth it to apply this cycle just for kicks... especially when I don't qualify for the LSAC fee waiver and have to pay for apps myself.

Re: Should I bother applying this cycle?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:22 pm

soupisgood wrote:167/173/3.38, so I guess I'm a splitter. Upward grade trend for the most part; I was pre-med my first two years of undergrad, and that wasn't too pretty.

Studying for the September and December tests (along with the following 3 weeks of not being able to properly focus on schoolwork while waiting for scores) didn't help my GPA; thanks to last semester, my cumulative GPA actually went down to a 3.36, though I haven't sent in an updated transcript to LSAC yet.

I had been planning on sending in all my apps by next week, and my school list was CLS, NYU, Berkeley, Chicago, Penn, Duke, Cornell, GULC, UCLA, and USC. At this point in the cycle, I'm pretty sure that the only "in" schools would be USC, Cornell, and GULC, while everything else would be a "WL/reject" situation, thanks to my splitter status + the general lateness in the cycle.

If I don't go to law school next year, because I'm an international student and have to keep my student visa, I would probably take some craptastic community college courses (that obviously won't budge my GPA), while applying super early in the next cycle and EDing somewhere. Maybe I can find an internship as well, but with my nonexistent WE, I don't know how that would turn out. However, assuming that I can pull off decent grades in my final semester in undergrad, my GPA would probably move up to a 3.4.

Thoughts? I've heard that many schools don't seriously consider applicants that they've rejected in the past, so I don't know if it would be worth it to apply this cycle just for kicks... especially when I don't qualify for the LSAC fee waiver and have to pay for apps myself.

I hadn't heard about the reapplicants not getting a serious second look. I kind of doubt its true.

I'd apply to NYU and Penn this cycle just to see if you can't get in. Make sure you write the optional Penn essays, and come up with a good excuse for your first lsat for NYU (I think you were sick 8) ).

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
soupisgood wrote:167/173/3.38, so I guess I'm a splitter. Upward grade trend for the most part; I was pre-med my first two years of undergrad, and that wasn't too pretty.

I hadn't heard about the reapplicants not getting a serious second look. I kind of doubt its true.

I'd apply to NYU and Penn this cycle just to see if you can't get in. Make sure you write the optional Penn essays, and come up with a good excuse for your first lsat for NYU (I think you were sick 8) ).

I hadn't considered that before. Out of curiosity, why Penn and NYU, out of the bunch?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:50 pm

soupisgood wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I hadn't considered that before. Out of curiosity, why Penn and NYU, out of the bunch?

You probably aren't getting into Columbia and Chicago with a 3.38 even if you apply Sept 1, and NYU and Penn are better than the rest.

Is your application ready to go? If so apply today won't hurt your application that badly, and I'd apply to all. If you are waiting on LOR and your personal statement you may just want to wait til next year.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
soupisgood wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

You probably aren't getting into Columbia and Chicago with a 3.38 even if you apply Sept 1, and NYU and Penn are better than the rest.

Is your application ready to go? If so apply today won't hurt your application that badly, and I'd apply to all. If you are waiting on LOR and your personal statement you may just want to wait til next year.

My PS could use a little more work, so yeah I wouldn't be complete until next week, at the earliest. So next year it is.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:07 pm

i'm not sure you'd get into GULC with those numbers--they average LSAT scores making you a 170/3.38 which is a [strike]weak[/strike] consider on lawschoolpredictor.com. so apply next cycle.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:14 pm

I read your first post again and it seems like waiting would be a big hassle since you are international. If you can get it down my next week, I'd send them out.

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:30 pm

OP, I am in the same boat as you. International student taking a year off but needing to maintain my F1 visa status (even though I have lived in US since 2001 and went to HS and college here....long story). There are ways other than doing the community college route (and thus having to disclose this information to law schools and them being like "wtf are you doing taking CC college classes"). PM me for information.

edit: other ways to have your I20 sponsored.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”