Where else should I apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jbarl1

Where else should I apply?

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:26 pm

160/3.85
Good softs, RA for 3 years, study abroad, strong recommendations and PS.

Applied:
Boston University
Boston College
Villanova University
Northeastern University

Considering Applying:
The Ohio State University
Penn State

Where else should I consider applying? I would like to keep it limited to about 8-10 hour driving distance from Ithaca, NY.

Dignan

Re: Where else should I apply?

Postby Dignan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:30 pm

jbarl1 wrote:160/3.85
Good softs, RA for 3 years, study abroad, strong recommendations and PS.

Applied:
Boston University
Boston College
Villanova University
Northeastern University

Considering Applying:
The Ohio State University
Penn State

Where else should I consider applying? I would like to keep it limited to about 8-10 hour driving distance from Ithaca, NY.

Cardozo
Brooklyn
American (you can get from Ithaca to DC in 8 hours, right?)

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Within your distance range, Fordham, Cardozo, UConn, American

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:25 pm

bump

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Forget American, you really could have a shot at GW. Check out their graph from last year.

waiting4law

Postby waiting4law » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:31 pm

Applying now would be a waste of a very solid GPA. If you can boost your LSAT by 10 points, you have a solid shot at the bottom half of the T-14. Restudy and retake. The opportunities available to you with 168-170/3.85 are light years beyond 160/3.85.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:33 pm

waiting4law wrote:Applying now would be a waste of a very solid GPA. If you can boost your LSAT by 10 points, you have a solid shot at the bottom half of the T-14. Restudy and retake. The opportunities available to you with 168-170/3.85 are light years beyond 160/3.85.

I can't take a year off and 160 was my 2nd score. I can't afford a prep class so I am applying now.

waiting4law

Postby waiting4law » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:43 pm

I went from 150 (diagnostic) to 169 (real thing) without prep, in five months of self-study. Once I hit 160 on diagnostics, it only took an additional month or so to regularly break 170, and I was prepping in the mid-170s until I choked on the real thing. So don't underestimate your ability to break the LSAT ceiling with diligent study.

Very few people "can't" take a year off because of special circumstances. I'm 36, and I had more to lose by waiting than all but 2-3 people on this entire board. Yet I waited an extra year to be able to go to Cornell, knowing that there is a massive difference between Cornell and, say, Syracuse. If you rush into a second-tier school when all that is between you and T14 might be a few months of solid LSAT study, you may regret it later. Moreover, since you are in Ithaca and might want to remain here, what could be better than going to Cornell.

Your choice, of course, but these are points to consider.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 pm

waiting4law wrote:I went from 150 (diagnostic) to 169 (real thing) without prep, in five months of self-study. Once I hit 160 on diagnostics, it only took an additional month or so to regularly break 170, and I was prepping in the mid-170s until I choked on the real thing. So don't underestimate your ability to break the LSAT ceiling with diligent study.

Very few people "can't" take a year off because of special circumstances. I'm 36, and I had more to lose by waiting than all but 2-3 people on this entire board. Yet I waited an extra year to be able to go to Cornell, knowing that there is a massive difference between Cornell and, say, Syracuse. If you rush into a second-tier school when all that is between you and T14 might be a few months of solid LSAT study, you may regret it later. Moreover, since you are in Ithaca and might want to remain here, what could be better than going to Cornell.

Your choice, of course, but these are points to consider.

I certainly don't want to stay in Ithaca. I just limited my area so traveling to the school would be reasonable. I was scoring 165-170 on all my prep tests before my first test (158) and my second (160). I started studying last January and took the test in June and September. I don't think I can do much better on the real thing; I don't score well on standardized tests. I really have no interest in taking a year off between my undergrad and law school. I am fine with the schools I am applying to, I just wanted to know if I had overlooked any.
Thanks for the advice though!

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:01 pm

I'd just scroll through lawschoolpredictor and note the schools where you aren't 'deny' to see if they are in a state that's close enough to consider. The state column and the decision column are pretty close, so it's handy for this purpose. Just watch out - it might incorrectly overestimate your chances (e.g. 'weak consider' at Northwestern is wrong).

FYI, you can retake on the cheap with the LG bible and a book or two of the 10-PT books. Much better than courses or tutors.

Out of curiosity, why can't you take a year off?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:06 pm

NayBoer wrote:I'd just scroll through lawschoolpredictor and note the schools where you aren't 'deny' to see if they are in a state that's close enough to consider. The state column and the decision column are pretty close, so it's handy for this purpose. Just watch out - it might incorrectly overestimate your chances (e.g. 'weak consider' at Northwestern is wrong).

FYI, you can retake on the cheap with the LG bible and a book or two of the 10-PT books. Much better than courses or tutors.

Out of curiosity, why can't you take a year off?

Certain family aspects make it a very bad idea. It is technically an option but not one that I want to have to resort to.

And thanks for the advice :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”