Where else should i apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rw2264

Where else should i apply?

Postby rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:34 pm

i'm torn. i've already submitted apps to the following:
Fordham
Cardozo (waiver, 99% positive i won't go)
GWU
GULC
Hastings (want.)
UCLA (long shot, i know)

i'm thinking of applying to one or two more schools, but i can't decide between the following:

i have a 3.4/170. i'm going into public interest. i also want to live/work in nyc/dc/sf/would go to LA for UCLA. any thoughts on where i should spend my last $90?

Jockin Jay-Z

Re: Where else should i apply?

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:39 pm

With a 170, you'll probably got a shitton of money from Cardozo. Why would you rather go to Hastings at sticker than Cardozo for free or close to free if you want to practice in NYC as much as SF?

Cornell or BU might be schools to look at for your final app.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Are there suppose to be name of schools after "the following:" in your post?

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:40 pm

oh whoops i edited and didn't take that part out. i can't decide between:

USC
Cornell
BU
Columbia (went there and they might take me back on a long shot)

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:With a 170, you'll probably got a shitton of money from Cardozo. Why would you rather go to Hastings at sticker than Cardozo for free or close to free if you want to practice in NYC as much as SF?

Cornell or BU might be schools to look at for your final app.

in-state tuition plus $ from hastings (they give $9-10,000/year merit aid to people with my numbers according to LSN) makes it more appealing than cardozo, which is much lower ranked and has NYU, Columbia, Fordham and every other east coast tier 1 to compete with in NYC. SF is smaller, most serious competition is probably only coming from berkeley/ucla/davis and some other out of state grads, and it has good public interest clinics/volunteer opportunities. hastings is really well respected throughout california, cardozo is kind of a no-name school.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Columbia will not admit a 3.4/170, even one of their own, unless URM. (In fact, I think Columbia has a rep for not admitting their own when given the choice.) Waste of your $90.

BU gives you the flexibility of Boston or New York at graduation. I would recommend them. Cornell and USC would also be good investments, although Cornell stands a good chance of rejecting you.

Also, ntzsch is correct: fee waivers. BU and USC would both give you fee waivers. Cornell might. Worth a shot, and then you could apply to two or three.
Last edited by BenJ on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:02 am

Just wanted to mention, about Cornell fee waivers, they said "no merit, just need-based". That could be because my LSAT is their 25th, but they asked for a letter detailing my financial situation, so if you want to apply to Cornell for free, that's what they'll likely tell you. BU also gives out waivers if you ask. At least they did me without much cajoling.

Also, I'd agree with those poo-pooing Hastings - with the tuition hikes in CA this year and going forward, you're still looking at 100k debt just from tuition even with that 9-10k. Great school in a great spot, but if you want to do public interest, go with a full ride. I can't say that without hypocrisy, since I'm sending apps to about 5 schools where no one would give me even half, but it's still probably smarter to go for a full ride. GW might give you a full ride or even full plus first year housing, and it'll give you DC.

In closing, out of your choices, I'd say - get app fee waivers from USC and BU, pay for Cornell with the last $ and don't waste your money on Columbia because of the GPA.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:08 am

asked USC for a merit based waiver, was denied, then i sent my financial aid information from my last semester of college and they said they'll get back to me within a week. i think i'll just wait because i don't want to go there that badly.

also emailed cornell, got an automated response, and when i called they told me they [strike]don't give merit-based fee waivers[/strike] only give merit-based fee waivers through CRS (and when i said CRS the woman sounded confused. sad face)... then i sent them my financial aid information and they sent me the same automated response as before. i also don't want to be in ithaca for 3 years.

maybe i'll just apply to BU...

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:12 am

kwhitegocubs wrote:Just wanted to mention, about Cornell fee waivers, they said "no merit, just need-based". That could be because my LSAT is their 25th, but they asked for a letter detailing my financial situation, so if you want to apply to Cornell for free, that's what they'll likely tell you. BU also gives out waivers if you ask. At least they did me without much cajoling.

Also, I'd agree with those poo-pooing Hastings - with the tuition hikes in CA this year and going forward, you're still looking at 100k debt just from tuition even with that 9-10k. Great school in a great spot, but if you want to do public interest, go with a full ride. I can't say that without hypocrisy, since I'm sending apps to about 5 schools where no one would give me even half, but it's still probably smarter to go for a full ride. GW might give you a full ride or even full plus first year housing, and it'll give you DC.

In closing, out of your choices, I'd say - get app fee waivers from USC and BU, pay for Cornell with the last $ and don't waste your money on Columbia because of the GPA.

hastings also has a decent LRAP program, and i'm poor as hell and may get more money from them in need-based aid, which they are earmarking more funds for next year. obviously if all the costs are equal i'll have to make some choices.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 am

kwhitegocubs wrote:Just wanted to mention, about Cornell fee waivers, they said "no merit, just need-based". That could be because my LSAT is their 25th, but they asked for a letter detailing my financial situation, so if you want to apply to Cornell for free, that's what they'll likely tell you. BU also gives out waivers if you ask. At least they did me without much cajoling.

the most in grant aid i will feasibly receive from UC Hastings (merit and need combined) is 18k/year, making tuition around 20k/year. and then living expenses, so let's say it's 35k/year total. that's about 100k of debt... i could live with that.

do you really think i have a chance at GW full-ride? LSN doesn't give me any hope for that, and their financial aid website says you have to take out the maximum allowable stafford loans if you are receiving need-based aid from them (which will cover almost half of the tuition). so that's 20k/year, not including living expenses. so it will cost me the same.

this thread is making me want to withdraw my app from cardozo. i don't want to go there! i just wanted to see what would happen when i clicked submit.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:51 am

i'm contemplating just saving my money because i can't really see myself going to either.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:56 am

rw2264 wrote:

the most in grant aid i will feasibly receive from UC Hastings (merit and need combined) is 18k/year, making tuition around 20k/year. and then living expenses, so let's say it's 35k/year total. that's about 100k of debt... i could live with that.

do you really think i have a chance at GW full-ride? LSN doesn't give me any hope for that, and their financial aid website says you have to take out the maximum allowable stafford loans if you are receiving need-based aid from them (which will cover almost half of the tuition). so that's 20k/year, not including living expenses. so it will cost me the same.

this thread is making me want to withdraw my app from cardozo. i don't want to go there! i just wanted to see what would happen when i clicked submit.

Crap, I was lazy on saying that about GW, but it appears they value GPA for schollies above LSAT even at your level. Who knows, though? ...... :(

Hey, the Cardozo is 12 bucks, right? I don't know if you still live in NYC (Columbia grad), but if you don't, it'd be worth it for free travel to their ASW, in which you could do whatever. Plus, they would give you a full ride....and, well if you don't want to go there, that's that.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:07 am

kwhitegocubs wrote:
rw2264 wrote:

Crap, I was lazy on saying that about GW, but it appears they value GPA for schollies above LSAT even at your level. Who knows, though? ...... :(

Hey, the Cardozo is 12 bucks, right? I don't know if you still live in NYC (Columbia grad), but if you don't, it'd be worth it for free travel to their ASW, in which you could do whatever. Plus, they would give you a full ride....and, well if you don't want to go there, that's that.

i'm still in new york, i just don't think i could handle going to a school that would be so obviously overshadowed by the competition in every way. i feel like hastings has a niche, and i don't feel that way about cardozo.

100k is a lot of debt, but i have no debt from undergrad and i plan on taking full advantage of LRAP (and never having kids) so i think i might be able to handle it. i'll have to talk to someone at finaid i suppose...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”