GPA ranges above 4.0

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HeartBlade

GPA ranges above 4.0

Postby HeartBlade » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi, im new to this forum and am currently a junior in UG who is a prospective law school applicant.

Ive been to lsac and looked at graphs of the ranges of top law schools (most notably Yale and Harvard) and found GPA ranges from 1 to 4.4. However, in my school, the highest you can score on a GPA is 4 with an A+/A. I currently have a 3.6 so I realize that I wont be able to break the 4 barrier or even be able to reach 4 but I was wondering how students are able to do so. Are there honors classes or advanced placement classes in other schools that change the weight of GPA scores? To my knowledge, my school has no such classes and when I asked the pre-law adviser about it, he had no idea about obtaining GPAs above 4.0 so I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

GeePee

Re: GPA ranges above 4.0

Postby GeePee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:23 pm

HeartBlade wrote:Hi, im new to this forum and am currently a junior in UG who is a prospective law school applicant.

Ive been to lsac and looked at graphs of the ranges of top law schools (most notably Yale and Harvard) and found GPA ranges from 1 to 4.4. However, in my school, the highest you can score on a GPA is 4 with an A+/A. I currently have a 3.6 so I realize that I wont be able to break the 4 barrier or even be able to reach 4 but I was wondering how students are able to do so. Are there honors classes or advanced placement classes in other schools that change the weight of GPA scores? To my knowledge, my school has no such classes and when I asked the pre-law adviser about it, he had no idea about obtaining GPAs above 4.0 so I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me?

Thanks in advance.

Does your school actually grant A+? If it does, and it appears on your transcript, LSAC may convert them to grades of 4.33 instead of 4. If this is happens, consider yourself very lucky.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 pm

GeePee wrote:
HeartBlade wrote:Hi, im new to this forum and am currently a junior in UG who is a prospective law school applicant.

Thanks in advance.

Does your school actually grant A+? If it does, and it appears on your transcript, LSAC may convert them to grades of 4.33 instead of 4. If this is happens, consider yourself very lucky.

So people whose schools give A+ have an automatic advantage over people whose schools only have A? That seems totally unfair. A 3.9 on a scale of 4.33 is not the same thing as a 3.9 on a scale of 4. Doesn't LSAC's formula control for that?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:53 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
GeePee wrote:

Thanks in advance.

So people whose schools give A+ have an automatic advantage over people whose schools only have A? That seems totally unfair. A 3.9 on a scale of 4.33 is not the same thing as a 3.9 on a scale of 4. Doesn't LSAC's formula control for that?

Nope, sorry. I feel your pain (My GPA would be something like 4.08 if my school actually put the A+ grades that I earned on my transcript)

HeartBlade

Postby HeartBlade » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Im not sure about the existence of A+ in my school. Doing so requires getting a 98.3 cutoff score which is almost impossible considering many classes I take rely on essays and other interpretive assignments that make getting a "perfect score" hard to achieve.

So I guess technically there is a A+ grade in my school although I have never heard of anyone getting an A+ (although to be fair not many people brag about their grades).

Thanks for the responses.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”