Best "Softs" to Acquire for following admission cycle

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jrawls1

Best "Softs" to Acquire for following admission cycle

Postby jrawls1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:10 am

I am out of undergrad - graduated June, 09. I have till October to develop/acquire better "softs." If you could add more experience/activities (volunter, work, etc.) to strengthen your application, what would you do? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Neelio

Re: Best "Softs" to Acquire for following admission cycle

Postby Neelio » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 am

legal internships, volunteer work (preferrably targeted at the law specialization you see yourself going for in the future).

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Something that in some way fits with what you've done in the past or what you wan to do in the future. Randomly spending a year working in an animal shelter is pretty meaningless. If you have long had a demonstrated commitment to animals and want to go into animal rights law, then founding a club at your school to do puppy breeding for seeing-eye dogs could be very interesting.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Save someone's life
Overcome cancer
Invent something useful
Start a non-profit
Become a Rhodes Scholar

hth

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:40 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Save someone's life
Overcome cancer
Invent something useful
Start a non-profit
Become a Rhodes Scholar

hth

How much do you think founding a non-profit really matters?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:42 pm

nM
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Become a circus clowns. People fear angering the clowns. Autoadmit!

champagnepopbottles

Postby champagnepopbottles » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Buy a library at whichever law school you want to go to.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:47 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:52 pm

In terms of both admissions, and then getting a job for your 1L summer, one of the best things you can do is try to intern/work at a law firm. A lot of people do it, so it is not an extraordinary soft. However, in your personal statement, you can say, "I have worked at a law firm, and having seen the work that goes on there, I know for certain that I want to pursue a law degree." Then you can go into a brief discussion of the things that stood out to you, things you liked, things you didn't like, and what you hope to get out of being an attorney. Being able to go in this direction stands opposite to people who have not done this, or who effectively say things like, "One of my parents is an attorney, so I want to be one."

When it comes to getting a job 1L summer, having had some work experience at a firm shows prospective employers that you have worked in a similar atmosphere before, and that you have an idea of what goes on there; you are not a total n00b. Even better, if you do well, your former boss may be willing to be a reference for you. I would imagine that getting a reference from a practicing attorney is the best kind. This is because an attorney who has seen you on the job is going to know what attorneys are looking for, and can speak to those things directly from experience with you. This is in opposition to having a law professor (who is an attorney) extrapolating your classroom performance onto their recollection of what attorneys are looking for.

Oh, and if you can get a paying position, you can save some scrilla.

Hope this helps and/or is food for thought.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Become as fluent in a foreign language as you possibly can, specifically Spanish.

Honestly, there's not many softs that are going to help much, but foreign languages actual have practical value.

MF248

Postby MF248 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Go work for an urban debate league somewhere.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:30 pm

+1 for the advice of get cancer and then beat it

Jackie O

Postby Jackie O » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:31 pm

awesomepossum wrote:Become a circus clowns. People fear angering the clowns. Autoadmit!

+1

Consider tattooing on make-up to ensure the fear factor

drew

Postby drew » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:02 pm

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:30 pm

wouldn't that be a "hard" factor?

wamp wamp waaaaaaaaaaamp

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Overcome cancer
Invent something useful
Start a non-profit
Become a Rhodes Scholar

hth

You forgot about founding a city.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:
Overcome cancer
Invent something useful
Start a non-profit
Become a Rhodes Scholar

hth

God damn you for beating me to that.
You could also become a Marshall Scholar. Beyond that, become a URM, or enlist in the military, get through training, go to war, and sustain some sort of wound that will allow you a medical discharge. That might do it for some T2s.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:18 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:
Overcome cancer
Invent something useful
Start a non-profit
Become a Rhodes Scholar

hth

God damn you for beating me to that.
You could also become a Marshall Scholar. Beyond that, become a URM, or enlist in the military, get through training, go to war, and sustain some sort of wound that will allow you a medical discharge. That might do it for some T2s.

How would you go about "becoming" a URM?? would it be possible to do in 9 months??

I also nominate achieving an Olympic gold medal.. I think any sport would be okay.

jelizabeth88

Postby jelizabeth88 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Don't worry about your resume. What everyone else has been saying is likely correct, they aren't going to sway the admissions committee that much. So instead do things that you wanted to in college or won't be able to in law school. You could teach abroad, do Americorps/SCA... or just get a job at Starbucks (or whatever) save up a little cash and have a good time. You could volunteer on the side if you wanted to give your resume a boost. If you can find a job ITE that you enjoy, all the better.

Example: I graduated in May and worked with natural resource management for the National Park Service. I don't want to be a park ranger, ever. But I really like being outside, to an extent enjoy the work, and know that I will not be able to be as active once I am a student again.

Enjoy yourself. You likely won't have a time in your life like this again until you retire!

drew

Postby drew » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:39 pm

jelizabeth88 wrote:Don't worry about your resume. What everyone else has been saying is likely correct, they aren't going to sway the admissions committee that much. So instead do things that you wanted to in college or won't be able to in law school. You could teach abroad, do Americorps/SCA... or just get a job at Starbucks (or whatever) save up a little cash and have a good time. You could volunteer on the side if you wanted to give your resume a boost. If you can find a job ITE that you enjoy, all the better.

Example: I graduated in May and worked with natural resource management for the National Park Service. I don't want to be a park ranger, ever. But I really like being outside, to an extent enjoy the work, and know that I will not be able to be as active once I am a student again.

Enjoy yourself. You likely won't have a time in your life like this again until you retire!

Bad advice. I know at least one 0L who is orchestrating a coup in a small Eastern-European country. That is your competition.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”