Did I shoot myself in the foot? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
robertsmanta

New

Did I shoot myself in the foot?

Post by robertsmanta » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:29 am

I sent in my applications to my top four choices one week ago. Last night, I was reviewing my addenda prior to submitting another application, and I realized that I had submitted a version of one addendum with an editing error. It's fairly obvious (a missing noun surrounded by two prepositions). I've heard that grammar mistakes are fatal errors for top twenty schools? My application is decent, but not the strongest. Did I just burn my bridges with these four schools?

IHaveDietMoxie

Bronze

Re: Did I shoot myself in the foot?

Post by IHaveDietMoxie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:40 am

I would shoot off an email with the corrected file attached, requesting them to replace it. Say you accidentally included the draft instead of the final, or something.

happyhoo

New

Post by happyhoo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:13 am

robertsmanta wrote:I sent in my applications to my top four choices one week ago. Last night, I was reviewing my addenda prior to submitting another application, and I realized that I had submitted a version of one addendum with an editing error. It's fairly obvious (a missing noun surrounded by two prepositions). I've heard that grammar mistakes are fatal errors for top twenty schools? My application is decent, but not the strongest. Did I just burn my bridges with these four schools?
I wouldn't worry about it. I did the same thing and it didn't hurt me at a top 10 school. I feel like you would draw more attention to it by submitting a new version.

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:18 am

One grammar mistake is human. A bunch mean you either don't care or are illiterate. Law schools are often willing to give you money so you choose to go to their schools--you're a marketable commodity if you have the grades/scores. If they would ordinarily accept you, but without scholarships, do you think they're willing to give up the $120,000 in tuition they'll get because of a missing noun?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:21 am

boom. there goes the foot.

gobucks8284

New

Post by gobucks8284 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:39 am

I did this last year, and it both surprised me and scared the shit out of me, as I'm not one for grammar errors. I applied to four T14s, was waitlisted at two, rejected at one and accepted at one, despite numbers that were below medians for all.

Don't get too bothered. As the other poster said, I think that multiple mistakes show carelessness, but one doesn't look awful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”