UVA eliminates/extends ED deadline Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IAFG

Platinum

Re: UVA eliminates/extends ED deadline

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:41 pm

ksgator wrote:
IAFG wrote:it occurs to me that the majority of applicants will not even hear about this.
That's what's so wonderful about this. You better start shopping for your pink gear!

--ImageRemoved--
i love you x1000 KS. <3<3<3

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:42 pm

maximus34998 wrote:
IAFG wrote:it occurs to me that the majority of applicants will not even hear about this.
TITCR.

I think this is geared to those of us who are afraid that we scored ourselves right onto the WL at UVA. I am 173, 3.65 and am seriously contemplating doing this. I've applied to H, CCN, Duke, Mich, and NU, but UVA is probably my top choice. And I know they are well-known for WL'ing people who have #s for CCN. This is a brilliant move by Dean Trujillo to try to potentially lock down 15-20 applicants with high LSATs or GPAs, especially if the medians are really close to moving up. 15-20 students could be all it takes to move the median. And where are those 15-20 applicants? Probably sitting and reading this thread right now, freaking out. The typical (non-TLS) applicant may never have a clue.
lol @ the idea of Trujillo targeting our neurotic TLSing asses. not saying he isn't, just that the idea is funny.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:53 pm

JCougar wrote:The only schools in the T-14 that have a reputation for accepting them are UVA and Northwestern (but at NU only if you have work experience). Outside of that, you're an automatic reject at almost all of them unless you have around a 174+ and really good softs.
GULC gives out some splitter love. The UVA ED thing is kind of tough to compare. The quick response and admissions boost from ED has encouraged so many splitters to apply ED this cycle. I believe splitters have a decent shot at Penn if they apply ED. Due to UVA giving a decision so quickly, more people are going to go that route and we can't really compare the two unless we see a surge in splitter ED apps to Penn.
Last edited by Stringer Bell on Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:53 pm

whoknows12

New

Post by whoknows12 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Jaws did you just happen to read this or get some email or something?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:05 pm

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:06 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
whoknows12 wrote:Jaws did you just happen to read this or get some email or something?
I think im_blue gets credit for first discovering (last night) this change on the UVA website.
how the fuck do you keep track of shit like this?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:11 pm

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:13 pm

IAFG, when did you go complete at UVA? I'm instate as well, similar GPA but with a 171, have had several status updates and seen instate applicants with lower numbers than me get accepted even though they went complete later than I did.

I'll probably fax the form tomorrow.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I was reading the UVA website weeks ago and saw that it listed the ED deadline as March, but disregarded it since the form on the LSAC website still listed a Dec. 15 deadline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:14 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
whoknows12 wrote:Jaws did you just happen to read this or get some email or something?
I think im_blue gets credit for first discovering (last night) this change on the UVA website.
I second that. This must be the most visited thread of the day. Good catch. LoR pic= lmao

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:16 pm

hopefulincal wrote:I'm continuing this discussion only because I think it's an interesting business case. Obviously depending on the sample you present, you could argue one way or the other. I'd like to think about how this process actually happens:

September comes around, and applications start rolling in. For the sake of the argument let's drop the whole holistic view thing. The school starts getting apps, and decisions need to be made. Every school knows their previous medians and would like to increase those numbers. Thus, you pretty much auto-admit those with both numbers higher than your medians (sure you worry about yield, but let's put that aside for the moment). You also pretty much admit those with one number higher and the other number at median. Yes you can throw money at any of the above students to get them to enroll, but so are the other schools with similar medians. So, pretty soon you have an admitted pool, and you would know what your current medians are from the pool. You now monitor the medians for this pool closely. As you decide whether or not to admit each incoming application, you know how that applicant is going to affect your pool medians, and you weigh the gains and losses for each admit.

Meanwhile, your similarly ranked competitors are doing the same thing (which is why you have similar medians in the past). Now along comes an applicant that every school considers a splitter. Do you admit him/her? You look at how this applicant affects your medians. Most likely if admitting this applicant will help your numbers, it will likely help your competitors' numbers as well, so both of you will end up admitting him/her.

Yes, in the perfect world if you had all the applications laid out in front of you, you could figure out how to maximize your medians from the entire pool, but it doesn't work that way. Especially given the faster turnaround times for ED, you can't just sit and wait to see what your pool would look like. So you couldn't possibly go into the season with a splitter strategy because with every new admit you're risking your other number. If the distribution for both numbers are in fact very different and admitting one pool of splitters would easily raise the medians, you don't think your competitors would have figured that out also?

These rankings mean life and death to the Admissions Office, and if there is a low hanging fruit like admitting splitters, many schools would have done it already.
Wow. I don't see why you need to overthink everything to death. Schools would prefer to enroll the best candidates. When they've enrolled all the grade-A candidates they could hope to enroll, they then look at those with baggage (splitters). UVA's decision MIGHT end up sucking up all the candidates with baggage. That's it.

Splitters are like hot chicks/guys with emotional issues. You'd rather bang someone without the emotional issues, but people inevitably get desperate.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:20 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Yes, he discovered it and posted it in another thread. I simply created another with the same info.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:21 pm

You do realize the majority of applicants are just now starting to submit their applications right? So if they happen to consult the website when submitting (Which most probably will) they will see this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:22 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
You do realize the majority of applicants are just now starting to submit their applications right? So if they happen to consult the website when submitting (Which most probably will) they will see this.

It has said March on the website for awhile, at least since mid-December.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:22 pm

maximus34998 wrote:
TITCR.

I think this is geared to those of us who are afraid that we scored ourselves right onto the WL at UVA. I am 173, 3.65 and am seriously contemplating doing this. I've applied to H, CCN, Duke, Mich, and NU, but UVA is probably my top choice. And I know they are well-known for WL'ing people who have #s for CCN. This is a brilliant move by Dean Trujillo to try to potentially lock down 15-20 applicants with high LSATs or GPAs, especially if the medians are really close to moving up. 15-20 students could be all it takes to move the median. And where are those 15-20 applicants? Probably sitting and reading this thread right now, freaking out. The typical (non-TLS) applicant may never have a clue.
I felt the same way about UVA and was a 173/3.51 and applied ED. Two months I have no regrets.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Last summer several 175s with GPAs from low 3s downward were WL at NU until June. Just FYI.
Good information for sure, but are you thinking I should go ahead and ED at UVA (since I'll likely be waitlisted at NU) or that I should hang on since those ~3.0 splitters came OFF the waitlist?

EDing to UVA is probably your only shot at getting into UVA for you. I'd do it if I were you, and I'd go to NU over UVA. Extreme splitter cycles are really fucking risky. You've got to increase your chances of getting into a T14 any way possible.
I'm saying that though I think you're likely in, you might make a stop on the waitlist for a while. And obviously there are no guarantees about coming off it. It's possible that they dramatically changed their strategy this year and admitted too many splitters ED, forcing them to focus on reverse splitters when WL season rolls around.

I think Desert Fox is probably right. UVA is a better shot with ED, even if only microscopically. If they WL you then nothing with NU has changed. If you're ready to pay UVA sticker, I'd think about doing it.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:39 pm

tkgrrett wrote:What are we calling splitters?? would a 175, 3.55 be considered a splitter?? I mean, its below gpa 25th at most schools and above LSAT 75th.. that is what we mean by splitter, right?
That's not a splitter. That's just called "in everywhere but HYS."

Unless URM, in which case it's called "in everywhere."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:42 pm

NayBoer wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:What are we calling splitters?? would a 175, 3.55 be considered a splitter?? I mean, its below gpa 25th at most schools and above LSAT 75th.. that is what we mean by splitter, right?

Lol, I think TLS severely overstates the URM boost.. Im slightly above those numbers and know that I am no lock at HYS
Last edited by rundoxierun on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:43 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Last summer several 175s with GPAs from low 3s downward were WL at NU until June. Just FYI.
Good information for sure, but are you thinking I should go ahead and ED at UVA (since I'll likely be waitlisted at NU) or that I should hang on since those ~3.0 splitters came OFF the waitlist?

EDing to UVA is probably your only shot at getting into UVA for you. I'd do it if I were you, and I'd go to NU over UVA. Extreme splitter cycles are really fucking risky. You've got to increase your chances of getting into a T14 any way possible.
I'm saying that though I think you're likely in, you might make a stop on the waitlist for a while. And obviously there are no guarantees about coming off it. It's possible that they dramatically changed their strategy this year and admitted too many splitters ED, forcing them to focus on reverse splitters when WL season rolls around.

I think Desert Fox is probably right. UVA is a better shot with ED, even if only microscopically. If they WL you then nothing with NU has changed. If you're ready to pay UVA sticker, I'd think about doing it.
If you get waitlisted at UVA you're pretty much guaranteed to not come off of it. I don't think they've accepted off the waitlist in about 3 cycles (it seems like they always overenroll)

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

Lol, I think TLS severely overstates the URM boost..
Lol no, YOU ARE WRONG about the URM boost.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:45 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

Lol, I think TLS severely overstates the URM boost..
Lol no, YOU ARE WRONG about the URM boost.
I hope so.. I will likely be the test case for a little above those stats next cycle..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:48 pm

tkgrrett wrote: I hope so.. I will likely be the test case for a little above those stats next cycle..
You will be in at Harvard and I would think you have a good shot at Stanford and Yale. What kind of URM are you?

thepunisher24

Bronze

Post by thepunisher24 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:50 pm

GeePee wrote:If you get waitlisted at UVA you're pretty much guaranteed to not come off of it. I don't think they've accepted off the waitlist in about 3 cycles (it seems like they always overenroll)
This.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:50 pm

AA male.. but enough threadjacking didnt mean to make this a personal thread.. do people realize that Georgetown has already did the same thing with their ED, March 1 deadline... so maybe this is just the new trend

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:56 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
tkgrrett wrote: I hope so.. I will likely be the test case for a little above those stats next cycle..
You will be in at Harvard and I would think you have a good shot at Stanford and Yale. What kind of URM are you?
He'll get into Stanford too. The only school that would even consider rejecting him with his stats is Yale. He has about a 50/50 shot at Yale too. Tk if you don't believe in the AA boost go to blacklawschool discussion and/or talk to me via pm and other URMs on this board.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”