Honesty is appreciated. 3.5/155. do i apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
seriously

Honesty is appreciated. 3.5/155. do i apply?

Postby seriously » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:28 am

**Guys, retaking in NOT an option! I took the damn thing three times. and this is why i want to shoot myself**

Re-taking is not an option. I took prep courses, studied ferociously, and this is the best result. I did score 5+ lower than my average practice tests, but obviously I don't possess a natural talent for standardized testing.

Which schools would be realistic for me? I'm not considered URM, but English is my second language.
I know I can write diversity/supplemental essays, but how many schools can I convince to give me a seat for Fall 2010?
I look at lsn and most schools I want to go to, the lowest they accept is 160-162.

For example, if I got into Pepperdine, I would cry and jump at the same time from happiness.

A few steps from wanting to shoot self here.
Last edited by seriously on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

rw2264

Re: Honesty is appreciated. 3.5/155. do i apply?

Postby rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:31 am

retaking is absolutely an option. i suggest signing up for the June LSAT now, taking a two month break until march, and then studying with new materials. look over all of your PTs and the official test and make sure you know why you got every answer wrong.

lawoftheland

Postby lawoftheland » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:34 am

ntzsch wrote:
seriously wrote:Re-taking is not an option. I took prep courses, studied ferociously, and this is the best result. I did score 5+ lower than my average practice tests, but obviously I don't possess a natural talent for standardized testing.

Which schools would be realistic for me? I'm not considered URM, but English is my second language.
I know I can write diversity/supplemental essays, but how many schools can I convince to give me a seat for Fall 2010?
I look at lsn and most schools I want to go to, the lowest they accept is 160-162.

For example, if I got into Pepperdine, I would cry and jump at the same time from happiness.

A few steps from wanting to shoot self here.

You're acting irrationally/emotionally here.... that may also be the reason you scored 5+ lower than your average PT. Calm down, prepare more, retake.

mallard

Postby mallard » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 am

No. What are your other options?

Cara

Postby Cara » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:37 am

You shouldn't apply and retaking is always an option.

lawoftheland

Postby lawoftheland » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:39 am

By the way OP.... are you bringing work experience to the table or straight out of undergrad?

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:45 am

seriously wrote:I did score 5+ lower than my average practice tests, but obviously I don't possess a natural talent for standardized testing.

Like others have pointed out the above sentence is a contradiction. You obviously are capable of scoring at least a 160. I would certainly retake if I were you. Hell I might even retake if I were me.

Oh I just read you edit... is the rule that you can't retake more then three times total or just not more than three times within 12 months? With numbers the way they are, my advice would be to forget about law school.
Last edited by Ragged on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

seriously

Postby seriously » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:45 am

mallard wrote:No. What are your other options?

Fuck. I applied to Southwestern. Just to get the ball rolling. They do have a 2yr. SCALE program and I do know some graduates from the school who were able to land decent jobs.

My other options: 1) get a job and fold the law school chapter of my life 2)get a job and pursue MBA

I don't like my other options at all.

seriously

Postby seriously » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:47 am

lawoftheland wrote:By the way OP.... are you bringing work experience to the table or straight out of undergrad?

I don't have solid work experience. Internships which I put on the resume and part time work that I didn't put on resume. I've been out of undergrad for 1 year.

seriously

Postby seriously » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:48 am

Ragged wrote:
seriously wrote:I did score 5+ lower than my average practice tests, but obviously I don't possess a natural talent for standardized testing.

Like others have pointed out the above sentence is a contradiction. You obviously are capable of scoring at least a 160. I would certainly retake if I were you. Hell I might even retake if I were me.

I took the test three times! Each time before the test I was scoring 162-165. Each time I felt damn good about the test, but my result is my result.

seriously

Postby seriously » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:56 am

ntzsch wrote:
seriously wrote:
Ragged wrote:

I took the test three times! Each time before the test I was scoring 162-165. Each time I felt damn good about the test, but my result is my result.

get a dean to sign a letter saying he or she would like to see you have 4th shot at the LSAT. this is not a hard thing to do from tls accounts.

then, redo all the lsats from 2004-2009. then get your 162+ and cry and jump at the same time as you will be a damn near auto-admit at some T100's, including Pepperdine, which you mentioned.

This is a reality that I will not be facing. FML. I need to go to school in the Fall 2010. I can't take the LSAT again. Btw. I did get a dean to sign a letter for 4th shot, i'm not requesting for 5th shot. Psychotic.

seriously

Postby seriously » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:01 am

ntzsch wrote:o, well if you took it 4times, why did you say you took it 3times.

Not important.

Where do you want to work?

The 1st test was a cancel, so I disregarded it.

Los Angeles. Thanks for trying to help me and responding btw.

Bohemka

Postby Bohemka » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:10 am

155 3.5 still gives you a better than 50% shot at some of the low top 100s (USF, Gonzaga, Hofstra, etc.) according to LSP. If taking a year off is definitely not an option then I don't see any reason you shouldn't apply. Especially if you are sure this is what you want to do. Don't give up hope yet, you haven't even applied yet.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:19 am

Honestly no. If it is your dream to be a lawyer (for the work, not the money) then you will apply anyway, so attend the cheapest school you get into. If you are in it for a lucrative job, start looking into other fields.

lawoftheland

Postby lawoftheland » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:20 am

seriously wrote:

Not important.

Apply to as many part-time programs as possible within your reach. (there ARE several)
The consensus around these parts is that they're easier to get into. The ABA data suggests this as well.

seriously

Postby seriously » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:20 am

let me get your opinions on the idea of transferring after 1L.

enlighten me pls.

mallard

Postby mallard » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:22 am

seriously wrote:let me get your opinions on the idea of transferring after 1L.

enlighten me pls.

You can't count on being able to do this.

seriously

Postby seriously » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:22 am

lawoftheland wrote:
seriously wrote:

Not important.

Apply to as many part-time programs as possible within your reach. (there ARE several)
The consensus around these parts is that they're easier to get into. The ABA data suggests this as well.

Some schools have option to check both part time and full time boxes. Which I did for surrounding LA schools.

Didn't apply yet to Pepperdine though.

lawoftheland

Postby lawoftheland » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:24 am

seriously wrote:
lawoftheland wrote:
seriously wrote:

Not important.

Some schools have option to check both part time and full time boxes. Which I did for surrounding LA schools.

Didn't apply yet to Pepperdine though.

Why don't you give San Diego a shot.... I have a good feeling about you there.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:24 am

seriously wrote:let me get your opinions on the idea of transferring after 1L.

enlighten me pls.

One advice I heard on this: never go to law school with plans to later transfer. If you happen to be at top 5% at the end of 1L good for you, but do not count on in even at a TTT. I'm just a 0L though, but these are my 2cents.

seriously

Postby seriously » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:24 am

Ragged wrote:

With numbers the way they are, my advice would be to forget about law school.

Maybe this is what I need to hear more?

seriously

Postby seriously » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:26 am

lawoftheland wrote:

I applied! I hope your good feeling is a right one. Is it possible for me to send supplementals/addendums after my app is submitted?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:29 am

seriously wrote:
lawoftheland wrote:

I applied! I hope your good feeling is a right one. Is it possible for me to send supplementals/addendums after my app is submitted?

part time i hope....SCU might be an okay option for you if money is no object

lawoftheland

Postby lawoftheland » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:30 am

seriously wrote:
lawoftheland wrote:

Absolutely! Be "smartly obnoxious" if you have to.... do whatever it takes. Leave an impression, go to open house events, etc, etc. We didn't discuss this... but how is your personal statement? I hope good!

Veovis

Postby Veovis » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:32 am

seriously wrote:
Ragged wrote:

With numbers the way they are, my advice would be to forget about law school.

Maybe this is what I need to hear more?

It depends on what you want to do after LS. If the plan is shortsighted (i.e. biglaw-or-broke, or unclear plans for the future), then you're gonna want to wait and get a better LSAT to have broader options. There are those, however, that know what job they're aiming for and know the LS rank they need for it. I think you're in the former category, however, so I would advise you to re-take or get out. If you're in the latter, then hit the 100s (50% or better in LSP). I checked the PT LSP, doesn't look that great.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”