Quick critique: GPA Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JCougar

Quick critique: GPA Addendum

Postby JCougar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:41 pm

My undergraduate transcript does not reflect my ability, nor does it reflect the motivation I retain toward school today. It does reflect my poor handling of a difficult situation in the past, and my overall lack of academic focus at the time. It is marred specifically by my Spring semester of the 2001-2002 academic year. At this time in my life, I was living on my own and experiencing severe financial difficulties. Compounded with the fact that I lacked a specific career and educational goal, I had made the decision not to continue with my undergraduate education at that point. My decision came too late in the semester to withdraw, and consequently, I received 12 credits of failing grades. I reversed my decision the following summer, and returned to school in the Fall of 2002, achieving nearly a 4.0 for that semester.

I do think that if I had been more responsible and mature at the time, I could have better handled this situation and my undergraduate coursework overall. I deeply regret that I was not. Through my two subsequent years of graduate school followed by three years of work experience at two Fortune 500 corporations, I have become far more driven and focused on my career goals. I do accept responsibility for my past academic performance, and believe my current motivation and focus to be a vindication of, rather than a reflection of, my past.

Don't really have a good excuse, but I figured I better explain this anyways. If it weren't for this one semester, my LSAC GPA would be 3.23 instead of 2.95.

Have at it!

Borhas

Re: Quick critique: GPA Addendum

Postby Borhas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:50 pm

I don't think it'll help that much, but perhaps you should explicitly include a sentence saying how you have achieved clarity in education and career goals, and how that was the reason for your improvement and your application to LS.

otherwise sounds ok

good luck

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:55 pm

Borhas wrote:I don't think it'll help that much, but perhaps you should explicitly include a sentence saying how you have achieved clarity in education and career goals, and how that was the reason for your improvement and your application to LS.

otherwise sounds ok

good luck

I don't really expect it to help much. I'm only applying where my LSAT is above median, anyways. I just figured it would be better to send some explanation of that 0.0 semester. I don't know how else to spin it though.

I'll take your advice, though. TY.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:59 pm

JCougar wrote:
Borhas wrote:I don't think it'll help that much, but perhaps you should explicitly include a sentence saying how you have achieved clarity in education and career goals, and how that was the reason for your improvement and your application to LS.

otherwise sounds ok

good luck

I don't really expect it to help much. I'm only applying where my LSAT is above median, anyways. I just figured it would be better to send some explanation of that 0.0 semester. I don't know how else to spin it though.

I'll take your advice, though. TY.

the help comment was about my suggestion not the overall addendum, sorry if I wasn't clear

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Borhas wrote:the help comment was about my suggestion not the overall addendum, sorry if I wasn't clear

I read it a second time and realized that this is possibly what you meant.

I was working about 30 hours a week during undergrad (which I mention in my PS), plus I have some distance from this GPA.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:36 am

Also, my major GPA was about a 3.5. Is it worth even pointing this out, or does that sound desperate?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”