Masters in Law and Applying for JD Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
billmon

New

Masters in Law and Applying for JD

Post by billmon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:25 pm

Im in my second semester at Sydney University getting my masters in international law. I dont have a JD and am applying right, the only problem is that I am still waiting for my grades to be posted. Is this going to look bad for my application? Should I put an explanation for my late application in the addendum? Will having the masters have a drastic impact on my application?
Thanks

BenJ

Silver

Re: Masters in Law and Applying for JD

Post by BenJ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:30 pm

I assume you're applying to US schools? This forum is primarily devoted to law school in the US; there might be a few Australians on here who know something about Australian admissions, but not many.

Assuming you're talking about the US, send in your transcripts to LSAC ASAP; it doesn't matter whether you don't have your grades for the most recent semester yet. If they want the most recent grades, the schools will ask for them later, or you can send new grades to help get yourself in off a waitlist. (Very few schools ever do ask for new grades.)

That said, it is very, very late to be sending in your transcripts. I imagine transcripts could take over a week just to arrive at LSAC headquarters in PA from Australia, and LSAC tends to take around two weeks to process them and another week to send them out to schools to which you apply.

billmon

New

Post by billmon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:36 pm

Yes this is for US law schools. Is it possible to have the transcripts sent by fax? This could expedite the process, but I am worried that I only have 2 of 4 grades returned right now. Any thoughts on adding something about this in my addendum?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:39 pm

billmon wrote:Yes this is for US law schools. Is it possible to have the transcripts sent by fax? This could expedite the process, but I am worried that I only have 2 of 4 grades returned right now. Any thoughts on adding something about this in my addendum?
Unfortunately, LSAC does not accept transcripts sent by fax. (You can and should get your recommenders to fax their letters.) But the grades should be fine. You could put a sentence in mentioning that not all grades had been released at the time your transcript was submitted, and that an updated transcript could be supplied by request, but it's not a big deal.

rocaveli

New

Post by rocaveli » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:04 pm

you can pay through the nose for FedEx though, which is what I did.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”