LSAT/GPA dissonance Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tomballard

New

LSAT/GPA dissonance

Post by tomballard » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:30 pm

My LSAT is a 170 & my GPA is a 3.35 at a rather lack-luster Midwest school. I'm wondering if my "on par" schools should be in the top 11-20, where my LSAT is generally above the median & my GPA is in the lower quartile, or in the top 21-30 where my LSAT stands out more & GPA is not so unusually low. I have a near-complete lack of organized extra-curriculars but some decent student work experience. I'll be writing an addendum to explain why I dropped out after a disastrous freshman year. If you discount my freshman year grades, my GPA is around 3.7, but I got a couple of Cs in my senior year, so the upward trend has some blemishes.

drew

Bronze

Re: LSAT/GPA dissonance

Post by drew » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:55 pm

Are you making TLS your personal diary or is there a question hidden in there?

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:58 pm

I wouldn't use the term "on par", but I would consider schools that your LSAT is above the 75th percentile in, and hope that your GPA either doesn't hurt much or falls under the 25 percentile.

Why?

If it isn't far off, it won't lower the school's GPA quartile range.

If your below the 25th percentile, you want a school that will really want your LSAT. I'd strongly consider schools in the 15-30 range, but still shoot for 10-15. You might be surprised at some scholarship options at some great schools in the 25+ range.

Best wishes.

tomballard

New

Post by tomballard » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 pm

aguyingeorgia wrote:I wouldn't use the term "on par", but I would consider schools that your LSAT is above the 75th percentile in, and hope that your GPA either doesn't hurt much or falls under the 25 percentile.

Why?

If it isn't far off, it won't lower the school's GPA quartile range.

If your below the 25th percentile, you want a school that will really want your LSAT. I'd strongly consider schools in the 15-30 range, but still shoot for 10-15. You might be surprised at some scholarship options at some great schools in the 25+ range.

Best wishes.
That is extremely helpful. Thanks!

drew

Bronze

Post by drew » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:04 pm

3.3x 170 is competitive at MVPCNDG. ITE, you should choose between the schools in that group that accept you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

seriously

New

Post by seriously » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:58 am

drew wrote:Are you making TLS your personal diary or is there a question hidden in there?
LOL

jackgrf

New

Post by jackgrf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:31 am

can you retake? if you bump it a couple points you might get merit. i wouldn't pay sticker anywhere except hys ite.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”