Does apply for both full and part time decrease chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sauer Grapes

Does apply for both full and part time decrease chances?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:18 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sauer Grapes

Re: Does apply for both full and part time decrease chances?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:42 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Specifically, will applying to Georgetown full time and part time decrease the chances I'll get in part time. I've got the numbers for full time, but think I'd prefer part time if attending Georgetown. Still, I'd like to keep my options open but I definitely don't want to be admitted full time and not part time.

I believe that I've read that preference is given to students that only apply to the part-time program. I think this is done to prevent people from trying to "backdoor" the t14. That said, if you have the numbers you probably can be admitted to both. (It might be worth asking the question if you can change your enrollment to part time if you've been admitted full time, this might not be that difficult if you have a compelling reason to request the change considering that it is easier (numbers wise) to be admitted part time)

TheJudge

Postby TheJudge » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:06 pm

jerjon2 wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:Specifically, will applying to Georgetown full time and part time decrease the chances I'll get in part time. I've got the numbers for full time, but think I'd prefer part time if attending Georgetown. Still, I'd like to keep my options open but I definitely don't want to be admitted full time and not part time.

I believe that I've read that preference is given to students that only apply to the part-time program. I think this is done to prevent people from trying to "backdoor" the t14. That said, if you have the numbers you probably can be admitted to both. (It might be worth asking the question if you can change your enrollment to part time if you've been admitted full time, this might not be that difficult if you have a compelling reason to request the change considering that it is easier (numbers wise) to be admitted part time)

So why does Gerogetown then giv you the option to apply to both if that means that your chances are pretty low to get into PT?

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:18 pm

TheJudge wrote:
jerjon2 wrote:

So why does Gerogetown then giv you the option to apply to both if that means that your chances are pretty low to get into PT?

I'm not saying that would make your chances low, I'm saying that I read once that when you apply PT versus FT/PT they give preference to the people applying only PT because they would rather give the slots to people who have a substantive reason for applying part time rather than people who would are applying to both because they would take anything they can get. (I don't remember if it was official or someone's opinion, I tried to find it again but I've been unsuccessful) I think this would be more true for a borderline candidate though and if OP has solid numbers for FT then it shouldn't be nearly as much of a problem.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:22 am

My numbers were strong for the PT program: My LSAT was >> 75th and GPA at median. I also have an advanced professional degree from a top private. I applied "both PT/FT", but was outright and quickly rejected.

If I could do it again, I would only have applied to PT and written a specific essay about why I would have been happy with the PT program.

TheJudge

Postby TheJudge » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:57 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:My numbers were strong for the PT program: My LSAT was >> 75th and GPA at median. I also have an advanced professional degree from a top private. I applied "both PT/FT", but was outright and quickly rejected.

If I could do it again, I would only have applied to PT and written a specific essay about why I would have been happy with the PT program.

That's weird. It seems to me that you are not necessarily required to have a good reason to apply PT. At least that's what I read into this:

TLS: Does Georgetown give preference to those applicants applying to the Part-time program who plan to work full-time during law school over those who do not?

Probably the same. There may be a slight edge for someone who is so motivated that they want to take the best advantage of the time they're here by getting involved with real world work at the same time as going to school. We think that this adds something to the class. In terms of admission though, I don't think it makes that much of a difference, we basically weigh them the same.

What other good reasons are there other than work that would require or make sense for you to apply PT?

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:03 am

TheJudge wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:My numbers were strong for the PT program: My LSAT was >> 75th and GPA at median. I also have an advanced professional degree from a top private. I applied "both PT/FT", but was outright and quickly rejected.

That's weird. It seems to me that you are not necessarily required to have a good reason to apply PT. At least that's what I read into this:

TLS: Does Georgetown give preference to those applicants applying to the Part-time program who plan to work full-time during law school over those who do not?

Probably the same. There may be a slight edge for someone who is so motivated that they want to take the best advantage of the time they're here by getting involved with real world work at the same time as going to school. We think that this adds something to the class. In terms of admission though, I don't think it makes that much of a difference, we basically weigh them the same.

What other good reasons are there other than work that would require or make sense for you to apply PT?

trying to get into the t14 via the back door, obvi! thought about doing this. think i might just apply F/T since there is no way i'm paying for three years regular tuition + one year 75% regular tuition. not worth it to me.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:29 pm

major bump.

so...frick. i just clicked "both" and submitted thinking that I would be increasing my chances of getting in by keeping myself in the running for both programs (for more seats)....did I actually just do myself a disservice or should I just email them tmmrow asking to be switched to full-time only? or telling them I would strongly prefer full-time to part-time??

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”