Full or Part-time law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gcp52

Full or Part-time law school

Postby gcp52 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi everyone!!

I am getting ready to apply to law school (as I am sure many of you are as well). I am married and I have two children. Would it be better to do law school full-time or part-time?

What would you do?

savesthedayajb

Re: Full or Part-time law school

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:14 pm

gcp52 wrote:Hi everyone!!

I am getting ready to apply to law school (as I am sure many of you are as well). I am married and I have two children. Would it be better to do law school full-time or part-time?

What would you do?

More info needed. How old are children? Does wife work? Do you have enough money to pay for fulltime? etc

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:15 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:01 pm

Going to school part time, working, and maintaining quality relationships with your spouse and children is a difficult juggling act. I did it for my UG and I'm sure it will be even more difficult for law school.

Taking one of those balls out of the air by going full time will help tremendously (the extra few hours each semester are nothing compared to working full time plus extra travel time to commute).

It all depends on if you can afford to not work and go full time. If you can, I would recommend it. Personally, I can't... so I'll be doing the juggling act again - but if it were an option, I would be going full time.

drew

Postby drew » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:02 pm

Probably pivots on the quality of the job you would be leaving. If it is something well-paid in which you would use your prospective JD, part-time is probably advisable in this economy. If its anything else, full-time is probably the best route to focus on law school and be competitive at OCI.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”