withdrawing from law school and reapplying

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
D_Night

withdrawing from law school and reapplying

Postby D_Night » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:24 pm

This is sort of an interesting question that I'm guessing has never been addressed anywhere.

For very good personal reasons I won't go into, I need to withdraw from law school after having completed the first semester. It's not due to performance, although I doubt I did exceedingly well (let's say median).

Now, I still want to retain the option of possibly going to law school at some point in the future (although I realize this is difficult). I have not received grades yet, although again I doubt they would be especially high or low. For the purposes of reapplying in a few years, would it be better to withdraw before or after any grades are recorded on my transcript? On one hand, it may look strange to withdraw after finals and before grading; on the other, there will be no record (positive or negative) about my performance. Ideas?

General Tso

Re: withdrawing from law school and reapplying

Postby General Tso » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:26 pm

D_Night wrote:This is sort of an interesting question that I'm guessing has never been addressed anywhere.

For very good personal reasons I won't go into, I need to withdraw from law school after having completed the first semester. It's not due to performance, although I doubt I did exceedingly well (let's say median).

Now, I still want to retain the option of possibly going to law school at some point in the future (although I realize this is difficult). I have not received grades yet, although again I doubt they would be especially high or low. For the purposes of reapplying in a few years, would it be better to withdraw before or after any grades are recorded on my transcript? On one hand, it may look strange to withdraw after finals and before grading; on the other, there will be no record (positive or negative) about my performance. Ideas?

Are you sure you can even withdraw without getting any grades? At my school you have to withdraw by the day before the finals period starts. If you withdraw after that you get all Administrative F's

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”