UGH, TYPOS! PANICKING! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschool88

New

UGH, TYPOS! PANICKING!

Post by lawschool88 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:51 pm

So as I was reworking my personal statement to fit a word length, I noticed there are not one, not two, but FIVE typos in the original personal statement that I have sent out to like 18 schools! I proofread the thing a ton, but somehow my brain managed to miss the typos! Specifically, I left out a "to" in one sentence, and an "of" in another sentence.

WHAT DO I DO!? I am devastated.
Last edited by lawschool88 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albusdumbledore

Silver

Re: UGH, TYPOS! PANICKING!

Post by albusdumbledore » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:53 pm

You shouldn't have re-read it after you sent it. That was your third mistake.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Nothing. You're fine. They could care less.

Someone applying to WUSTL called it the University of Washington and they were accepted.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:55 pm

Unwanted anal sex incoming.

lawschool88

New

Post by lawschool88 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:05 pm

OKAY SO NOW AFTER REREADING IT FOR THE BILLIONTH TIME I HAVE NOTICED ANOTHER 3 TYPOS. THAT MAKES FIVE TOTAL!

All of them are just leaving small words out, as if my brain just fills in the words as I read it and proofread it! WHAT DO I DO!?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:11 pm

lawschool88 wrote:OKAY SO NOW AFTER REREADING IT FOR THE BILLIONTH TIME I HAVE NOTICED ANOTHER 3 TYPOS. THAT MAKES FIVE TOTAL!

All of them are just leaving small words out, as if my brain just fills in the words as I read it and proofread it! WHAT DO I DO!?
BTW this is why other people should proofread for you.

But I got into Minn, Iowa and Indiana with the most retarded personal statement of all time (Ok not as bad as prelawdelt). It had worse errors than missing words. It established I absolutely did not understand how to use commas, or how to effectively write a narrative. I got money at all three.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:16 pm

With that many errors, I would quickly have some friends who are good editors look over your work. Then resubmit the essay to those schools that received the faulty version. A couple of typos is probably okay, but not five (or however many you had).

Edit: Resubmitting a typo-less version is even more important for those schools where you are not above median.
Last edited by WhiskeyGuy on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:16 pm

I wrote a horrible personal statement over about 45 minutes on a weekend and got into UVA ED.

Srsly, my personal statement included threats against the President, semen-stained pastel imprints of my penis, and chicken poo smear on the backside of the last page and I still got in.

NO ONE CARES about personal statements. Your numbers (GPA + LSAT) determine 99% of law school admissions.
Last edited by CE2JD on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:16 pm

lawschool88 wrote:OKAY SO NOW AFTER REREADING IT FOR THE BILLIONTH TIME I HAVE NOTICED ANOTHER 3 TYPOS. THAT MAKES FIVE TOTAL!

You can try to send in a revised PS and explain that you erred in sending in a premature copy.

On another note, typos can - and do - matter in the admissions process. I read an interview with the Dean of a prestigious law school. His take on typos was this: "How am I to look at this applicant? If they submitted an application with typos, why should I trust them to handle a million dollar contract?"

Having read that statement, I obsessively hunted for typos in my application...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:

You can try to send in a revised PS and explain that you erred in sending in a premature copy.

On another note, typos can - and do - matter in the admissions process. I read an interview with the Dean of a prestigious law school. His take on typos was this: "How am I to look at this applicant? If they submitted an application with typos, why should I trust them to handle a million dollar contract?"

Having read that statement, I obsessively hunted for typos in my application...
What they say, and what they actually do are fairly different. I'd guess they are reading things so fast they don't catch 80% of the typos people have.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:27 pm

They will not penalize you if you send in an "updated copy" by email or snail mail. They also probably will not care; people have done worse things and gotten in to good schools. The personal statement means very little. (I recommend no semen or chicken excrement, however.)

vandalvideo

Bronze

Post by vandalvideo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:30 pm

I don't think typos really matter all that much on the application unless you're in their 25th percentile. I made a bunch of typos in my application to a kinda-reach school and still got in just fine. Harvard might care.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:32 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:You shouldn't have re-read it after you sent it. That was your third mistake.
Haha I finally got up the courage to proof mine after sending all of them in. Not as bad as I suspected (I was ready for misplaced paragraphs and gibberish) but I did find one sentence that could have used another word (an "of" I think). I sounded a bit ESL for that one sentence. Haha it's been haunting my dreams ever since....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:41 pm

I had six people proof mine. Sent it out, felt great about it. Showed it to a friend struggling with his and he finds "pursing" in place of "pursuing." FML. Hopefully since seven of us missed it, adcomms will as well. LOL. Don't let it stress you out, can't change it now.

Whatisthis

Bronze

Post by Whatisthis » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:48 pm

I made around three typos in my criminal history addenda (probably not a good place to demonstrate one's carelessness) and I misspelled academic in the heading of my 'accademic' interruption addendum. FWIW, I got accepted at my reach school.

If you sent your statement recently, I would send them a revised copy. If not, don't sweat it.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Essays matter less than most people here want to believe. Sure schools love well written essays, but everyone makes typos, some horrible. Don't dwell on it unless this HY you are applying too. Everyone else just cares about your numbers.

Furthermore, the type of writing you do in law is nothing like what you learned in college/hs, So prior style/skill is less relevant.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:57 pm

I had a typo in my diversity statement and freaked out as well. But, if it's not egregious then don't worry. We're all human. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:08 pm

i had some nasty typos in mine (like i didn't capitalize "I"). i got accepted at the schools i expected with about the amount of $$$ i expected.

lemonpie

New

Post by lemonpie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:43 pm

I was just panicking over a missing comma in the last sentence of PS sent to my top choice. :shock:
I guess I shouldn't expect to get rejected over a missing comma?

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:46 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:Unwanted anal sex incoming.
This.

lawschool88

New

Post by lawschool88 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:22 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:Unwanted anal sex incoming.
This.
Ugh, this is what I feared most.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jackgrf

New

Post by jackgrf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:57 am

i wouldn't send a revised ps, because then it makes the adcomms more weary of errors in the first version. i'd just wait it out.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:08 am

i used understandable and understand in the same sentence of my DS and almost had a heart attack when i noticed after submitting it to two schools. but then again i'm auto admit or yp reject for one and nearly certain for the other according to LSN... so its not a big deal. but its still nerve wracking. stop reading!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”