GPA question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kfeng

GPA question

Postby kfeng » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:05 am

I'm from Canada, and I know for some Canadian law schools they only look at the GPA of the last 2 or 3 years of your undergraduate career. Does this apply to at least some US schools? Also, how is the GPA calculated, since my university uses a % system? What do they mean by they will look for trends in the GPA, since my GPA has improved from 60s to 80s over two years in university. Will this be counted positively? Or will they ask me to explain the false start? Thanks guys!

BenJ

Re: GPA question

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:14 am

As far as I am aware, all US law schools will look at your entire GPA (although they may never see your 4th year/senior GPA if you're admitted early enough). This is because they all get a standardized GPA through LSAC rather than each receiving your undergrad transcripts directly. (GPA is standardized to account for unusual credit-hour schema, variations in reporting A+s as 4.0s or 4.3s, etc.)

GPA in the US is calculated on a 0.0-4.33 scale (sometimes 0.0-4.0 if A+s are ignored; LSAC counts A+s), with an A being a 4.0, a B being a 3.0, a C a 2.0, a D a 1.0 and an F a 0.0. Interim scores are done by thirds, so an A+ is a 4.33, an A- is a 3.67, a B+ is a 3.33, etc. Presumably, LSAC will transform your percentage-based GPA into letter grades and then translate that into a 4.0-scale GPA. Someone who has applied from Canada in the past could help you with what the conversion looks like; I have no idea.

If you can explain the false start, it will be to your benefit to do so, although no one will ask you directly (but I would advise submitting an addendum explaining it alongside your applications). The explanation should be a good one--death in the family, major illness/injury, etc.--not something like homesickness or not being used to the rigors of college or partying too much; if the reason you did poorly is a weak one, do not attempt to explain it.
Last edited by BenJ on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:15 am

kfeng wrote:I'm from Canada, and I know for some Canadian law schools they only look at the GPA of the last 2 or 3 years of your undergraduate career. Does this apply to at least some US schools? Also, how is the GPA calculated, since my university uses a % system? What do they mean by they will look for trends in the GPA, since my GPA has improved from 60s to 80s over two years in university. Will this be counted positively? Or will they ask me to explain the false start? Thanks guys!

no, US schools look at all your yrs, not just the last few

LSAC recalculates your school GPA and they have a system...numerically, #'s will become -C/C/C+ or whatever range it is at. i dont know if canada grades on a weirder curve, but if your school doesnt and gives US % curves, then your 80 will be a B- (2.67), 89 will be B+ (3.33) , etc. even your 98 will be A+ (4.33)

yes your trend from 60s-80s will be looked upon favorably..but it wont help you much

unless your first yr looked like pure shit, they wont ask/care

kfeng

Postby kfeng » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:22 pm

thanks guys for your help! :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”