How far can connections go in the application process? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chicoalto0649

Silver

How far can connections go in the application process?

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:23 am

So I am applying to a well known law school (it will remain nameless) and I am a bit of a long shot there. I have a very strong connection to someone who knows a number of "select influential alums/donors" and he is willing to make a call in "strong support" of my application...I am also planning to visit the school this month. So can anyone weigh in as to how far this kind of connection can take me or is anyone else in a similar situation.

As a secondary matter, would you feel bad about utilizing these connections in order to gain admission?

EDIT: Clarification provided on page 3
Last edited by chicoalto0649 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearalegal

Silver

Re: How far can connections go in the application process?

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:25 am

There is absolutely no way to tell to what extent using your connections will have on your application.

Yes, I would feel bad. I'd feel less bad if people wanted to help me out for a "real," reason as opposed to me just being lucky to know someone through mommy or daddy or whatever.

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:26 am

When I was 18 and thought the world was made of rainbows and sunshine, I would have felt bad.

Nowadays....use any tool you can. Use that connection into the ground.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:27 am

Pearalegal wrote:There is absolutely no way to tell to what extent using your connections will have on your application.

Yes, I would feel bad. I'd feel less bad if people wanted to help me out for a "real," reason as opposed to me just being lucky to know someone through mommy or daddy or whatever.
Usually I try to do everything by the book, but this offer was completely unsolicited, and took me by surprise...I have been mulling it over and have yet to respond to his email

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:30 am

ec2xs wrote:When I was 18 and thought the world was made of rainbows and sunshine, I would have felt bad.

Nowadays....use any tool you can. Use that connection into the ground.

I would wager I am not the only person in the history of law school admissions to utilize this type of connection. But obviously it's different when its you...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:31 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:So I am applying to a well known law school (it will remain nameless) and I am a bit of a long shot there. I have a very strong connection to someone who knows a number of "select influential alums/donors" and he is willing to make a call in "strong support" of my application...I am also planning to visit the school this month. So can anyone weigh in as to how far this kind of connection can take me or is anyone else in a similar situation.

As a secondary matter, would you feel bad about utilizing these connections in order to gain admission?
my parents are immigrants -- i never have and never will be able to experience the feeling of "having connections" to anywhere outside of an old chinese restaurant where i get to ask for as many fortune cookies as i want (my limit is really 5)

lol, i wouldnt feel bad -- isnt this the real world? if it offends your own personal set of morals/tastes, then thats another thing...we all have our self-promises (some call them self-delusions), so it just depends on what yours are

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:32 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:So I am applying to a well known law school (it will remain nameless) and I am a bit of a long shot there. I have a very strong connection to someone who knows a number of "select influential alums/donors" and he is willing to make a call in "strong support" of my application...I am also planning to visit the school this month. So can anyone weigh in as to how far this kind of connection can take me or is anyone else in a similar situation.

It depends how much of a long shot and how big of donors we are are talking about? A couple of alums who each give 1000 a year? No benefit. Someone who gave a millions, or the Governor of Illinois then yea you are in.

Feelings are for proles.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:34 am

chicoalto0649 wrote: I would wager I am not the only person in the history of law school admissions to utilize this type of connection. But obviously it's different when its you...
Hey, if you want to use it, go for it! In no way was I saying I would judge others. I personally would just feel like I hadn't gotten in on my own merits, and that'd bug me.

An attorney I work with offered to talk to a school where he has some pull for me (its a reach), and I was ok with that, just because I knew I had earned his respect through my work ethic.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:36 am

Desert Fox wrote:

It depends how much of a long shot and how big of donors we are are talking about? A couple of alums who each give 1000 a year? No benefit. Someone who gave a millions, or the Governor of Illinois then yea you are in.

Feelings are for proles.
I am not a hail mary by any stretch....and their contributions are in excess of a 1000 a year. This I am certain of.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 am

There's no harm in doing so, as far as your chances go. And I've always been told "it's not what you know, it's who you know." I may not agree with it, but it seems to be true more times than not. I'd go for it.

As for my connections, the only "ins" I have are at Northern Illinois and Mercer, neither of which I am anywhere near considering, so I envy your situation (I guess).

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:42 am

PM'D

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:43 am

Someone who gave a millions, or the Governor of Illinois then yea you are in.
hmm, maybe not the ex-Governor of Illinois, though.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:45 am

bloodonthetracks wrote: hmm, maybe not the ex-Governor of Illinois, though.
I hear Jon Stewart pronouncing his name every time I think about that guy now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:45 am

bloodonthetracks wrote:
Someone who gave a millions, or the Governor of Illinois then yea you are in.
hmm, maybe not the ex-Governor of Illinois, though.

I was going to say that but totally forgot to.... blago ftl

zapper

New

Post by zapper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:54 am

it's not about how you get there, it's about what you do once you arrive

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:02 am

zapper wrote:it's not about how you get there, it's about what you do once you arrive

true too...

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:06 am

zapper wrote:it's not about how you get there, it's about what you do once you arrive
you talking about law school still?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:08 am

Pretty sure the only reason I was WL'ed @ Chicago, instead of rejected outright, is because BLSA members emailed Dean Perry on my behalf while my app was UR.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:28 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Pretty sure the only reason I was WL'ed @ Chicago, instead of rejected outright, is because BLSA members emailed Dean Perry on my behalf while my app was UR.

You got in at WUSTL?

What other schools do you think you have a good shot of attending? I know you have had an up and down cycle.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:29 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Pretty sure the only reason I was WL'ed @ Chicago, instead of rejected outright, is because BLSA members emailed Dean Perry on my behalf while my app was UR.

You got in at WUSTL?

What other schools do you think you have a good shot of attending? I know you have had an up and down cycle.
When on earth did he say anything about WUSTL? So confused.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:31 am

Pearalegal wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:

You got in at WUSTL?

Just following up on him from another thread or w.e....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:33 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:

You got in at WUSTL?

In at WUSTL, UVA, GULC, and William & Mary. But those were all LSAT-based decisions.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:34 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:

Ooooh.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:37 am

Halibut6 wrote:There's no harm in doing so, as far as your chances go. And I've always been told "it's not what you know, it's who you know." I may not agree with it, but it seems to be true more times than not. I'd go for it.

As for my connections, the only "ins" I have are at Northern Illinois and Mercer, neither of which I am anywhere near considering, so I envy your situation (I guess).
I found out that I actually have an adcomm connection at a law school (one that I didn't apply to, but am now being encouraged to). I was essentially told if I'm an auto-reject, it wouldn't matter, but if I'm borderline it would help. I'm guessing that's similar to the OP's situation. And yes, OP, use your connection. There is no harm in it, especially if you really want to go to the school.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:39 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:

Don't feel bad. You gotta use what you can. :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”