2 Q's. Too Late to apply? Importants of custom PS. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wenevermind

New

2 Q's. Too Late to apply? Importants of custom PS.

Post by wenevermind » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:20 am

Stats are 3.17/171

Schools in question are T25's with emphasis on Cornell, GULC.

1. It took me a really long time to get everything in. % wise, how much are my chances decreased by applying this late?

2. It seems my fellow law school applicants have the strategy of tailoring thier PS for each school by adding a paragraph of bullshit at the end. How important/effective is this?

Thanx for your time.

rw2264

Bronze

Re: 2 Q's. Too Late to apply? Importants of custom PS.

Post by rw2264 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:32 am

wenevermind wrote:Stats are 3.17/171

1. It took me a really long time to get everything in. % wise, how much are my chances decreased by applying this late?

2. It seems my fellow law school applicants have the strategy of tailoring thier PS for each school by adding a paragraph of bullshit at the end. How important/effective is this?

Thanx for your time.
i don't think its all that important to add something about each school, unless you have a particular program in mind that really tailors to your experience or if you've visited and have some relevant anecdotes/specific information on the school. everybody adds that bullshit at the end and i think its just disingenuous and schools can see right through it. if you're applying obviously you're interested. i would just try to make your PS as well written and interesting as possible.

as far as chances being decreased, probably a little bit. but whatever. its worth it to have a better application.

Dignan

Silver

Re: 2 Q's. Too Late to apply? Importants of custom PS.

Post by Dignan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:53 am

wenevermind wrote:Stats are 3.17/171

Anywhere from 0% to maybe 10%, depending on the school. It's not that big of a deal.

Well, the dean of admissions at one of your target schools (Cornell) said in an interview that a "Why Cornell?" essay does not help. Cornell gives you three lines (yes, three lines) on the application to say why you want to attend Cornell. Use those lines. For your other apps, it's going to depend on the school and whether you have something genuine to say. Here's a quick tip: If you feel like you are adding a "paragraph of bullshit," then leave it out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”