SMU and biglaw Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
texaspecial88

Bronze

SMU and biglaw

Post by texaspecial88 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:41 pm

Assuming you want to practice in Dallas, how hard is it to get into biglaw from SMU. I know SMU places great in Dallas, but what percent of grads have biglaw opportunities?

thanks

chadwick218

Silver

Re: SMU and biglaw

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:47 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:Assuming you want to practice in Dallas, how hard is it to get into biglaw from SMU. I know SMU places great in Dallas, but what percent of grads have biglaw opportunities?

thanks
I've spent some time reviewing the website for each individual NALP 250 firm headquartered in Dallas, and it appears as though the vast majority of new associates graduated cum laude. I have a pdf here somewhere that shows biglaw placement by school.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:55 pm

SMU dominates the Dallas legal scene.

Assuming you do well at SMU, you will do fine for Dallas Biglaw.

texaspecial88

Bronze

Post by texaspecial88 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:56 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
texaspecial88 wrote:Assuming you want to practice in Dallas, how hard is it to get into biglaw from SMU. I know SMU places great in Dallas, but what percent of grads have biglaw opportunities?

thanks
I've spent some time reviewing the website for each individual NALP 250 firm headquartered in Dallas, and it appears as though the vast majority of new associates graduated cum laude. I have a pdf here somewhere that shows biglaw placement by school.
And cum laude is like top 10%? top 25%?

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:02 pm

texaspecial88 wrote: And cum laude is like top 10%? top 25%?
According to the 2009-2010 NALP Directory of Law Schools, cum laude at SMU is for the top 35%.

http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/index.asp

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:04 pm

Also, poster above me, I really like your avatar.

I wish it really was Thirteen above me.

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:14 pm

so top 35% at SMU = good shot at BigLaw? or was that back in the day?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:48 pm

adrib wrote:so top 35% at SMU = good shot at BigLaw? or was that back in the day?
Yes, but other factors such as prior experience and personality, as with any other school, become increasingly more important. The top 35% never really was a guarantee.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:33 pm

betasteve wrote:
adrib wrote:so top 35% at SMU = good shot at BigLaw? or was that back in the day?
SMU 1L here... 35% is back in the day
You could probably get a mid to slightly larger firm that pays below market (160) but above 100 at 35%, though...

They are predicting only 5% of 1Ls to get biglaw firm jobs over the summer.
Those are still pretty numbers compared to the rest of the world.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:50 pm

betasteve wrote:
keg411 wrote:
betasteve wrote:
SMU 1L here... 35% is back in the day
You could probably get a mid to slightly larger firm that pays below market (160) but above 100 at 35%, though...

They are predicting only 5% of 1Ls to get biglaw firm jobs over the summer.
Those are still pretty numbers compared to the rest of the world.
They are also statements made by a 1L... so take them with a grain of salt. ;)

SMU 2L here; those numbers sound spot on for my 1L year.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:35 am

I would imagine top 10% these days to have a shot at biglaw. I wouldn't choose SMU if biglaw is your thing- chances aren't good enough in my book.

Yimbeezy

Bronze

Post by Yimbeezy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:45 pm

betasteve wrote:
nealric wrote:I would imagine top 10% these days to have a shot at biglaw. I wouldn't choose SMU if biglaw is your thing- chances aren't good enough in my book.
This is substantiated and well founded advice; thanks for the massive contribution of your analysis to the thread.
Thanks to your analysis of his analysis, the thread is now truly great.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:16 pm

This is substantiated and well founded advice; thanks for the massive contribution of your analysis to the thread.

You are welcome. Thank you for your own substantiated and well founded sarcasm. You have truly made this board a better place.
--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:42 pm

nealric wrote:I would imagine top 10% these days to have a shot at biglaw. I wouldn't choose SMU if biglaw is your thing- chances aren't good enough in my book.
I disagree. I think the market is going to turn around and SMU will be back at its pre-recession numbers in a year or two. Where would you choose if not SMU? UH? UT would be a no brainer; but if an applicant is wanting biglaw and looking at SMU, we can assume he/she didn't get into UT.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:58 pm

I disagree. I think the market is going to turn around and SMU will be back at its pre-recession numbers in a year or two. Where would you choose if not SMU? UH? UT would be a no brainer; but if an applicant is wanting biglaw and looking at SMU, we can assume he/she didn't get into UT.
They could be weighing UT vs. SMU with $$$. And there is no way to know where things will be in a year two. The consensus is that it won't be at pre-recession numbers though. Hopefully the consensus is wrong, but I wouldn't bank money on it.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:22 pm

betasteve wrote:This is substantiated and well founded advice; thanks for the massive contribution of your analysis to the thread.

Hey, on a different note, at the ASD, SMU was bragging about stupidly high post-graduate employment numbers for their recent class. Are they really that good, or is there a little inflation going on there?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:29 pm

kalvano wrote:
betasteve wrote:This is substantiated and well founded advice; thanks for the massive contribution of your analysis to the thread.

Hey, on a different note, at the ASD, SMU was bragging about stupidly high post-graduate employment numbers for their recent class. Are they really that good, or is there a little inflation going on there?
they placed the 28th most in the top 250 firms from the class of 2009. I think if you add in their federal clerkships it brings it to jus about 25%

So take that for what you will.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:24 pm

nealric wrote:
They could be weighing UT vs. SMU with $$$. And there is no way to know where things will be in a year two. The consensus is that it won't be at pre-recession numbers though. Hopefully the consensus is wrong, but I wouldn't bank money on it.
The consensus? Who is forming this consensus? Other 0L's? You're right that there's no way to know exactly where the numbers will be in two years, but I think it's a safe bet that SMU will rebound just as well as any other lawschool.

As far as UT vs. SMU with $$$, you may be right; but unless it was a full ride to SMU, it'd be hard to turn down UT. They really do dominate every other school in Texas.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”