Desperate Need of Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ps494

Bronze

Desperate Need of Advice

Post by ps494 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:02 pm

I have taken the LSAT twice, and both times I scored way below my average. As a result, I'm taking it a third time in February.

Right now I'm debating whether or not to apply this cycle (before my February results) to one school that I think I have a very good shot of getting in to with my current score. This school was supposed to be my safety. If I get my February score back and decide that I want to reapply to that same school again next cycle for some possible scholarships, will that school be reluctant to accept me? I could see how they would not want to accept an applicant that they offered admission to once already, because I may screw their stats up again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Re: Desperate Need of Advice

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:09 pm

"If I get my February score back and decide that I want to reapply to that same school again next cycle for some possible scholarships, will that school be reluctant to accept me?"

If you can wait until next cycle, why not just study hard for the June test and apply next cycle?

Edit: and even if you don't do so well, you can get the benefit of EA

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 pm

If you feel like you can spare the time, I agree with nycparalegal: study hard and take the June LSAT.

I think it would be better for you to apply next cycle anyway, since the Feb. exam is so late in the game. You might as well give yourself ample time so that you can perform at your best.

politics

New

Post by politics » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:16 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:If you feel like you can spare the time, I agree with nycparalegal: study hard and take the June LSAT.

I think it would be better for you to apply next cycle anyway, since the Feb. exam is so late in the game. You might as well give yourself ample time so that you can perform at your best.

+1

I am in the same situation and plan on prepping again this semester. At the end of the day my 160 is something I cannot live with.

itsfine

Bronze

Post by itsfine » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:17 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
If you can wait until next cycle, why not just study hard for the June test and apply next cycle?

yep

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:22 pm

I see your point, but I think holding off until June would be unnecessary. I already have the ability to get the score I want, and its just a matter of pulling through on test day. It's not as if I didn't study hard enough.

For example, lets say that your average is between a 170 and 175 but on test day you scored a 167. Why would you prep for another 6 months?

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Regardless of when you take the exam, I think you have more to gain by waiting to apply. If you take the Feb. exam, and score as well as you're hoping, you'll be submitting apps at the deadline. Get everything together at your leisure, and apply early next cycle -- your chances will be much better.

Also, it's important to realize that many find it very difficult to bring their test-day scores up to par with their practice tests. Not to be pessimistic, but I wouldn't bank too much on a yet-to-be-achieved LSAT score.

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:30 pm

Does anyone know if you are more likely to get scholarships if you apply in September as opposed to January, or do schools hold off on making scholarship decisions until February?

Also I think I'm going to take your advice. By waiting until next cycle, I can pull my G.P.A up from a 3.55 to a around a 3.63.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Wait...your still in school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:57 pm

nycparalegal wrote:Wait...your still in school?
Yes I am, why?

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:01 pm

Then waiting for next cycle shouldn't be too bad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”