Do schools average scores? = LSAT addendum advised?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CordeliusX

Do schools average scores? = LSAT addendum advised?

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:32 pm

My new december LSAT score came in and it's a bit higher, not lower, thankfully.

I can't figure out if it's assumed I will be sending an addendum in. I was panicky during the first LSAT and not feeling well physically. I performed below my PT average, and this second time around I barely prepared, felt better, and performed better. Is it worth mentioning that "officially" in an addendum?

On a related note, don't schools tend to take the highest score? Because this seems deeply related to that question. I can't figure out why to even bother sending an addendum unless they truly consider both scores and the average.

manbearwig

Re: Do schools average scores? = LSAT addendum advised?

Postby manbearwig » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:37 pm

I'd say almost all schools look at the higher score.

If you didn't significantly increase your score (say like 7 points or so), don't write an addendum.

If you did significantly increase your score and you don't have a valid reason for under-performing the first time (nervous =/= valid reason), don't write an addendum.

So, no, do not write an addendum.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:41 pm

manbearwig wrote:I'd say almost all schools look at the higher score.

If you didn't significantly increase your score (say like 7 points or so), don't write an addendum.

If you did significantly increase your score and you don't have a valid reason for under-performing the first time (nervous =/= valid reason), don't write an addendum.

Thanks for the comment. Well my increase was 5 points, and I read 3+ is significant... :?:

I do think that being ill deserves some mention, but you're right, anyone can be feeling under the weather. Still not sure here.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:44 pm

CordeliusX wrote:
manbearwig wrote:I'd say almost all schools look at the higher score.

Thanks for the comment. Well my increase was 5 points, and I read 3+ is significant... :?:

I do think that being ill deserves some mention, but you're right, anyone can be feeling under the weather. Still not sure here.

The problem is that law schools may then ask "why didn't you just cancel?" See if anyone else has some input, but I think unless you had the flu or something, it won't matter.

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:44 pm

Hey... I would suggest only submitting an addendum to schools that (say they) average, not to the ones that take the highest...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html

Great read!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”