155 & 2.87 what are my chances at T2 and T3?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BoilerUp

155 & 2.87 what are my chances at T2 and T3?

Postby BoilerUp » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:51 pm

My Freshman year is the reason for my low GPA. My parents had recently finalized their divorce and my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. I struggled to deal with all of this while at a large school away from home. After receiving such poor grades for the first time I decided it was time to take back control of my life. Since that time I have made the deans list of academic honors (3.5 or higher) 4 out of the past 5 semesters and have become very involved in several on campus organizations. My list of schools are:

1.IU-Indianapolis
2.Case Western
3.Akron
4.Cleveland State
5.Michigan State

Also, I have an $8,000 scholarship offer from Florida Coastal in Jacksonville, I know it is T4 but just throwing it out there.

General Tso

Re: 155 & 2.87 what are my chances at T2 and T3?

Postby General Tso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:53 pm

I would not attend any of those schools except case. I think you should retake the LSAT and reapply next year.

BoilerUp

Postby BoilerUp » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:55 pm

One last thing, IU-Indianapolis is my first choice because I would love to work and live there and don't mind so much that it is a regional school only.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:00 pm

1.IU-Indianapolis - WL/Out
2.Case Western - Out
3.Akron - WL/In
4.Cleveland State - WL/In
5.Michigan State - Out

I would definitely retake if I were you. You have a chance at IU-Indy & Akron, but they are both pretty small chances.

Also, I have an $8,000 scholarship offer from Florida Coastal in Jacksonville, I know it is T4 but just throwing it out there.

Do not go there, seriously.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:03 pm

BoilerUp wrote:My Freshman year is the reason for my low GPA. My parents had recently finalized their divorce and my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. I struggled to deal with all of this while at a large school away from home. After receiving such poor grades for the first time I decided it was time to take back control of my life. Since that time I have made the deans list of academic honors (3.5 or higher) 4 out of the past 5 semesters and have become very involved in several on campus organizations. My list of schools are:

1.IU-Indianapolis
2.Case Western
3.Akron
4.Cleveland State
5.Michigan State

Make sure to make note of it in an addendum. It won't completely solve your GPA issue, but it will help to mitigate it to an extent. Also, make sure it doesn't come across as an excuse. Keep it very matter of fact. Your grade trend going upward will be a plus.

I honestly think this is a tough cycle to predict... sort of splitter-like. Case Western will probably be the biggest reach, out of the ones you have here. But I wouldn't call it entirely out of the question (I can't ever do that... given I got into two T-25s with a comparable LSAT as a non-URM). I genuinely think you have a shot, anyway, at all of these. Some are better shots than others, obviously, but I'd send an app to all of them.

I would apply to a lot more schools though. I don't think 5 is enough, especially given the unknown numbers scenario.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”