Send 2 or 3 LORs to Harvard? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Send 2 or 3 LORs to Harvard?

Post by bloodonthetracks » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:14 pm

I followed the instructions and sent two LORS: one from a prof, another from my current boss. Now I'm thinking I should send a third LOR (from a professor). Does Harvard really just want two recs?

BenJ

Silver

Re: Send 2 or 3 LORs to Harvard?

Post by BenJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:29 pm

They recommend that you send only two LORs with the awareness that a third recommender is unlikely to have anything particularly new or different to say about you. But only you can tell us if your other professor actually does have more to say that your first professor and boss would not.

Also, this late in the cycle they may not have the luxury of time to read a third recommendation anyway. Personally, I'd hold off and only submit it if I ended up on the waitlist (and only then if the professor reassures you that it's glowing).

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:40 pm

I had the same dilemma yesterday. I ended up going with 2, but I think I can still send a third. My third recommendation is from my employer (the 2 I sent were from professors), so I feel like it adds a different perspective, but they seem to prefer only 2, although different parts of their website sent different messages about that. Do you think it's worth sending a third if it's from an employer and the other 2 are from professors, or in another case where there are different perspectives?

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:50 pm

democrattotheend wrote:I had the same dilemma yesterday. I ended up going with 2, but I think I can still send a third. My third recommendation is from my employer (the 2 I sent were from professors), so I feel like it adds a different perspective, but they seem to prefer only 2, although different parts of their website sent different messages about that. Do you think it's worth sending a third if it's from an employer and the other 2 are from professors, or in another case where there are different perspectives?
i agree with you that the website almost contradicts the app instructions

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:38 pm

anyone else with an opinion?

s419

New

Post by s419 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:00 pm

I sent three (2 profs, 1 professional) and was accepted in November.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”