Status Checker Addicts Welcome

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
omega_watts

Status Checker Addicts Welcome

Postby omega_watts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:41 am

I finished then submitted all of my apps by the day before Thanksgiving, and the suspense is starting to kill me. I applied to 20+ schools and have gotten admits from 3, but the silence from the rest is killing me softly.

...so every morning, and every evening (and sometimes midway through the day) I jump on the status checkers to see if there's been any movement.

I have a problem. Please tell me I'm not alone

Slimpee

Re: Status Checker Addicts Welcome

Postby Slimpee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:42 am

You're not alone.

I KNOW nothing has changed and I KNOW that i'll get emails...but I check religiously anyway...

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:48 am

i checked my status checker for depaul today and it says a decision has been mailed to me. I didn't get an email.

I think the most exciting part is that it would be the first school I'd be hearing back from. It means someone actually read my application contrary to the dreams I've had of them tossing it in the trash.

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:53 am

I check mine everyday at least twice...Since I started regularly checking the 6 schools I have that use them, there has been collectively 1 update. My Case app went from Complete to Under Review. I feel like a meth-head.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:54 am

I know ADCOMMs had the best of intentions when creating status checkers. but they are really the worst invention in the history of the internet age.

hank44

Postby hank44 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:54 am

Sadly I check a couple times a day...have them all bookmarked and just go through 'em all...its really the only time I've thought to use the "FML"...but its the most appropriate thing to say haha

Boro88

Postby Boro88 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:55 am

Hey, we are day twins. I also completed day before Thanksgiving. Have heard from two so far but the rest have been quiet. Really expected a lot more action after new year :( Status checkers have been disappointing.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:56 am

oberlin08 wrote:I know ADCOMMs had the best of intentions when creating status checkers. but they are really the worst invention in the history of the internet age.

IMO they should all send emails indicating a status change, so you don't have to check the checker constantly to know about a change.

nit00

Postby nit00 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:57 am

hank44 wrote:Sadly I check a couple times a day...have them all bookmarked and just go through 'em all...its really the only time I've thought to use the "FML"...but its the most appropriate thing to say haha

+1

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:58 am

Desert Fox wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:I know ADCOMMs had the best of intentions when creating status checkers. but they are really the worst invention in the history of the internet age.

IMO they should all send emails indicating a status change, so you don't have to check the checker constantly to know about a change.

It would also be nice if LSAC just hosted them on one central location on their website.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:59 am

Nah, they're genius. Now, instead of calling constantly and bothering the offices we can be left alone to check compulsively...

hank44

Postby hank44 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Slimpee wrote:

Nah, they're genius. Now, instead of calling constantly and bothering the offices we can be left alone to check compulsively...

+1

omega_watts

Postby omega_watts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:06 pm

What sucks for me is that I'm married w/kids and none of my SO's understand why I keep looking back at the family PC and nodding at it likes its talking to me.

By the way, trying to explain to someone who's not prelaw what the big deal about the whole app process while maintaining a healthy excited/not a spaz balance feels like trying to explain to a non gamer why you cant wait for the new Final Fantasy title to come out... theres no way to do it without sounding completely geeky.

*sigh

At least I have TLS... but that just makes me more of a geek.

monkeygirl

Postby monkeygirl » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:25 pm

I check daily--erm--two or three times per day. Each time I go through the list, I tell myself how dumb it is to be doing this sort of thing, that I'm only making it worse, etc.

Then I do it again. Sigh. I guess I belong here.

The funny thing is, the first schools to send me decisions were the few on my 18 school list that do not use status checkers.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:09 pm

hank44 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:

+1

I haven't called an admissions office once, and for the schools that dont have status checkers I also haven't called. I figure they will make a decision when they will make a decision and calling is just going to annoy people and in no way would help my cause. Futhermore, if there was some sort of problem with my application, e.g. I am missing my certification form, I assume that the office of admissions would contact me about it.

But having a status checker completely removes the aspect of not wanting to annoy someone on the other end of the line, and just offers me ample opportunity to say "FML" everytime I check it and it hasn't changed.

hank44

Postby hank44 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 pm

i agree BUT don't assume that schools will get in touch with you if you forgot something. Sure, they might but I'm pretty sure I read (on more than one app) that its up to you to make sure everything gets to them (obviously) and that some schools WONT contact you. Makes sense, I mean they cant/shouldnt contact every person that forgets stuff just to remind them

jeeli

Postby jeeli » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:13 pm

you know you have a problem when you check your status checkers more than you check facebook.... :shock:

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:14 pm

jeeli wrote:you know you have a problem when you check your status checkers more than you check facebook.... :shock:

You know you have a problem when something surpassing your facebook time is a big deal.

hank44

Postby hank44 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:15 pm

hahaha

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:15 pm

Does NYU not have an online status checker? I couldn't find one on their website, so maybe that's why I have not gotten an e-mail with that information.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:16 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Does NYU not have an online status checker? I couldn't find one on their website, so maybe that's why I have not gotten an e-mail with that information.

they do not have one

omega_watts

Postby omega_watts » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
jeeli wrote:you know you have a problem when you check your status checkers more than you check facebook.... :shock:

You know you have a problem when something surpassing your facebook time is a big deal.

I would pay between .99 and 2.99 for an iPhone app to check my status. If FB can have an app, why not LSAC?

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:22 pm

I check pretty often on certain schools, but it also terrifies me each time I check my number one (and slight reach) school. I'd really rather get dinged through the mail than through the status checker. Seems less impersonal.

lawgirl99

Postby lawgirl99 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:13 pm

I try to limit myself to one or two status checkers a day. Unfortunately my will power in this respect is not that strong...

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:14 pm

It's really sad. But I do it all the time, and I have to resist the urge to check through my entire list hourly. It's become almost an obsession. I think after my first acceptance I will be so much more calm and laid-back, but right now, I'm so worried about whether or not I'm marketable to law schools in the first place and I'm worrying about what will happen if I don't get accepted to any. Especially since I'm putting all my eggs into this law school basket. PLUS, school doesn't start for me until next week, so I've been pretty much sitting here with nothing to do but check the status of my applications compulsively. DARN NYU FOR NOT HAVING A STATUS CHECKER.

Guess I'll go back to the waiting game. :roll:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”