3.45/177, any good for stanford? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EdmundBurke23

Bronze

3.45/177, any good for stanford?

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:48 am

I haven't taken the LSAT yet, so I don't expect that people are going to have only nice things to say. But can you guys help me on this please? When I check lawschoolpredictor, it has me as "consider," but I can't that many people on LSN that were admitted with similar stats (excluding URMs).

I have average softs:

Two years work experience, non-technical work.
Lots of extra curriculars during undergrad
Non-URM

I know that Stanford would be a complete reach if anything else. But I'd really appreciate anyone's honest assessment of my chances at Stanford if I do in fact achieve 177 on LSAT. I started studying early December and am currently scoring 164+ now, and will be sitting for the exam on June.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Re: 3.45/177, any good for stanford?

Post by of Benito Cereno » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:12 am

Stanford pretty much never ever ever ever ever takes a gpa that low. Stanford has a pretty low lsat range and its for a reason: over 170 they clearly don't really care very much about lsats and look at gpas. A 170/3.8 is thus waaaaaaaay better of than a 177/3.6 even.

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:23 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:Stanford pretty much never ever ever ever ever takes a gpa that low. Stanford has a pretty low lsat range and its for a reason: over 170 they clearly don't really care very much about lsats and look at gpas. A 170/3.8 is thus waaaaaaaay better of than a 177/3.6 even.

Not so fast - Stanford might be changing their index formula. This new approach might place more emphasis on LSAT scores, but who knows? Regardless, I think if you're not that desperate to attend Stanford, I suggest you ED one of CCN.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Anyone?

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:49 pm

With your GPA... worth applying (assuming you want to go), not worth counting on. You have a chance. But that's it... a chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:54 pm

First get that LSAT then we'll talk.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:55 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:I haven't taken the LSAT yet, so I don't expect that people are going to have only nice things to say. But can you guys help me on this please? When I check lawschoolpredictor, it has me as "consider," but I can't that many people on LSN that were admitted with similar stats (excluding URMs).

I know that Stanford would be a complete reach if anything else. But I'd really appreciate anyone's honest assessment of my chances at Stanford if I do in fact achieve 177 on LSAT. I started studying early December and am currently scoring 164+ now, and will be sitting for the exam on June.
So you haven't taken the LSAT, you are currently scoring 164 on PTs, but you want to go ahead and start gaming out a 177? Come back in June when you actually DO score a 177. For now, you are just blowing smoke. Plenty of TLSers who score 177-180 on PTs wind up with a 173-175 on the real thing.

But to answer your question, you would have a chance at Stanford with that score, but not a great one. Go to lawschoolpredictor.com to see what LSAT scores you will need at various schools.

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:05 pm

Ragged wrote:First get that LSAT then we'll talk.
WHOAAAAA... Did not see that he hasn't taken it yet. Ha...

Yea... when you pull a 177... yea...

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:09 pm

Thanks for the replies guys... as well as being only slightly harsh about not having taken the test yet. But for what it's worth, my past three PTs, were 167, 164, 166. I still have 42 or so more PTs to get through.

I honestly doubt I'll achieve 177, but am confident enough to get 170+ on testday. I just wanted to visualize how I'll end up escaping from this dreadful career that has very little to do with my personal interests and my major back in undergrad. I'd still appreciate honest responses.

Question in passing: Do you guys think that these scores will drop significantly once I get to solving the newer tests? I noticed that the curves on the newer versions of the exam are not as generous.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:10 pm

BruceBarr wrote:

But I wonder... how many people actually post on this website with a fake score to get the same honest answers that I've been seeking here.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:11 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote: Question in passing: Do you guys think that these scores will drop significantly once I get to solving the newer tests? I noticed that the curves on the newer versions of the exam are not as generous.
I did slightly better on the newer tests.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:13 pm

A current SLS student thankfully informed TLS in another thread that Stanford is not changing their formula: http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admission ... g-started/

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:14 pm

No good, sorry.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:17 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:

But I wonder... how many people actually post on this website with a fake score to get the same honest answers that I've been seeking here.
not sure i understand your question

are you asking how many ppl post a fake higher LSAT score they are PRACTICING at and then follow that up w/ a lower game day LSAT score that is either 1) another fake score they came up w/ to make themselves look worse? or 2) the real score they decided to not lie about and let it make them look worse?

id say very few to none lol -- but i may have just misread your statement haha

to answer your question, Stanford is pretty notorious for being hard to guess one's admission chances, but it does love GPA...a 3.45 kinda shuts you out, unless you write a great PS or something

i would say bad chances, but not non-existent..and that's WITH a 177
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:18 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:A current SLS student thankfully informed TLS in another thread that Stanford is not changing their formula: http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admission ... g-started/
I guess this'll make things even more difficult for me to get Stanford. I guess not being able to cure cancer does have its downfalls when you don't have an extra high GPA....

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:19 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys... as well as being only slightly harsh about not having taken the test yet. But for what it's worth, my past three PTs, were 167, 164, 166. I still have 42 or so more PTs to get through.

I honestly doubt I'll achieve 177, but am confident enough to get 170+ on testday. I just wanted to visualize how I'll end up escaping from this dreadful career that has very little to do with my personal interests and my major back in undergrad. I'd still appreciate honest responses.

Question in passing: Do you guys think that these scores will drop significantly once I get to solving the newer tests? I noticed that the curves on the newer versions of the exam are not as generous.

Thanks!
lolwut? why are you going into law?

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:20 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:
BruceBarr wrote:

are you asking how many ppl post a fake higher LSAT score they are PRACTICING at and then follow that up w/ a lower game day LSAT score that is either 1) another fake score they came up w/ to make themselves look worse? or 2) the real score they decided to not lie about and let it make them look worse?

to answer your question, Stanford is pretty notorious for being hard to guess one's admission chances, but it does love GPA...a 3.45 kinda shuts you out, unless you write a great PS or something

Your response likens that of an LSAT stimulus; I don't know, maybe it's because I'm not in the mood the look into it.

But I think a lot of people lie about being in a particular application cycle when they haven't even taken the LSAT yet. I was actually tempted to do this, but thought that people would see right through me anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:22 pm

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

Your response likens that of an LSAT stimulus; I don't know, maybe it's because I'm not in the mood the look into it.

But I think a lot of people lie about being in a particular application cycle when they haven't even taken the LSAT yet. I was actually tempted to do this, but thought that people would see right through me anyway.
oh okay so i got your question right.

the gist of it was then..no, i think in the specific situation you lined out and asked about, few to no people lie about their practice scores as being high and then follow it up w/ a lower (false or true) game day score lol...makes no sense

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:23 pm

existenz wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:I haven't taken the LSAT yet, so I don't expect that people are going to have only nice things to say. But can you guys help me on this please? When I check lawschoolpredictor, it has me as "consider," but I can't that many people on LSN that were admitted with similar stats (excluding URMs).

So you haven't taken the LSAT, you are currently scoring 164 on PTs, but you want to go ahead and start gaming out a 177? Come back in June when you actually DO score a 177. For now, you are just blowing smoke. Plenty of TLSers who score 177-180 on PTs wind up with a 173-175 on the real thing.

But to answer your question, you would have a chance at Stanford with that score, but not a great one. Go to lawschoolpredictor.com to see what LSAT scores you will need at various schools.
plenty who score 177-180 on PTs score much lower than 173-175.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys... as well as being only slightly harsh about not having taken the test yet. But for what it's worth, my past three PTs, were 167, 164, 166. I still have 42 or so more PTs to get through.

Thanks!
lolwut? why are you going into law?
I direct and teach an English program in a foreign country. Not at a school or academy, but it's a publicly offered service throughout the city. It's not that challenging once you've done it for some time. But that's not even the problem - there's just no room for advancement here. But more than anything else, my parents are gonna pay 50K a year for my law school tuition anyway, so why the fuck not? The worst case scenaior is for me to end up back in the exact same spot with another degree... lol.

edit: and both of my parents have legal careers (well, more or less my mom, she's just a pseudo-paralegal of some sort in this country. father's an attorney).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”