Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ali & ali
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 pm

Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby ali & ali » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:05 am

Ok, so far I've been accepted to an assortment of T14 schools including Harvard. If I were just planning to practice in New York or DC, I would probably not have a problem choosing a lower ranked school with money attached. The thing is, I have no idea where I want to practice, and I'm even thinking about practicing abroad. Is the Harvard name really worth tens of thousands of dollars in debt? I want a very portable degree (in and outside of the legal field, as well as abroad)...would places like Columbia, NYU and Duke have that kind of reach? Would Yale even have as wide an international reach as Harvard? Thanks for any help!

SandyC877
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 am

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:06 am

ali & ali wrote:Ok, so far I've been accepted to an assortment of T14 schools including Harvard. If I were just planning to practice in New York or DC, I would probably not have a problem choosing a lower ranked school with money attached. The thing is, I have no idea where I want to practice, and I'm even thinking about practicing abroad. Is the Harvard name really worth tens of thousands of dollars in debt? I want a very portable degree (in and outside of the legal field, as well as abroad)...would places like Columbia, NYU and Duke have that kind of reach? Would Yale even have as wide an international reach as Harvard? Thanks for any help!


Stop worrying about the chump change of the future. Harvard meets both of your criteria.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:09 am

Go to Harvard.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby kazu » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:17 am

Go to Harvard. Unless you got into Yale.... then you'll have to think about it more, I feel that the Harvard name is much more acknowledged internationally than Yale, but Yale is probably better if you want to go into academia, etc. But if it's Harvard v lower-ranked school with $$, I think Harvard wins every time.

Credit
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby Credit » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:35 am

Harvard, all the way. It's worth every penny.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:38 am

i think if you can swing at least a half-scholarship from the venerable People's College of Law, it could be close. But otherwise, I'd probably end up at Harvard.

SandyC877
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 am

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:43 am

talibkweli wrote:i think if you can swing at least a half-scholarship from the venerable People's College of Law, it could be close. But otherwise, I'd probably end up at Harvard.


Oh shit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_College_of_Law

According to Wikipedia, LA Mayor is an alumni and failed his 4 attempts at passing the CA bar. That's some shit.

ali & ali
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby ali & ali » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:46 am

Thanks for the responses, guys. I guess the only (potential) decision would be between Harvard and Yale...but I'll cross that bridge when (and if) I come to it. Hilarious about the LA mayor by the way :lol:

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby kurama20 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:47 am

What kind of money are you talking about at the lower schools? Do you mean a full ride at CLS? Then I would definitely go with CLS. Do you mean a full ride at MBVP? Then I would have to think long and hard about my goals.

ali & ali
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby ali & ali » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:53 am

I'm talking a potential half ride at Columbia or potential full ride at Duke. What would your goals be to make you choose CLS with money over Harvard, kurama?

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby 02082010 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:55 am

ali & ali wrote:I'm talking a potential half ride at Columbia or potential full ride at Duke. What would your goals be to make you choose CLS with money over Harvard, kurama?


NYC (elite) biglaw and that's it.

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby kurama20 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:58 am

ali & ali wrote:I'm talking a potential half ride at Columbia or potential full ride at Duke. What would your goals be to make you choose CLS with money over Harvard, kurama?


That's the thing it's all about what you want. The answer to this question really will vary from individual to individual. For me I would take Harvard over Duke, CLS too if it's just a half scholly. But if I was a person who wanted say NYC biglaw and that's it I would take CLS (that's about it though). if you want to clerk or do PI, or just want biglaw in Cali are all things that will affect the answer to this question. I suggest looking into whatever it is that you are interested in and then determining what schools will get you there, and just how much debt means to you.

ali & ali
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby ali & ali » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:00 am

Personally, the national and international portability of the Harvard brand might make up for the debt, although I HATE owing money.

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby kurama20 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:01 am

ali & ali wrote:Personally, the national and international portability of the Harvard brand might make up for the debt, although I HATE owing money.



You need to sit on this then. But from what you're saying I would say Harvard.

charlym
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:38 am

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby charlym » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:02 am

ali & ali wrote:I'm talking a potential half ride at Columbia or potential full ride at Duke. What would your goals be to make you choose CLS with money over Harvard, kurama?


Take the potential half-ride from CLS... It would be nice to have someone else from Lebanon with me next year!

User avatar
sayan
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:05 am

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby sayan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 am

Put in perspective, an extra 80-100k for Harvard spread over a career of 30 years is miniscule. Harvard opens up opportunities more readily than CLS or any other outside SY.

generals10
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:52 am

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby generals10 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:16 am

I am in the same boat as you. Something else to consider is to look at the LRAP programs of each school. Extra debt is scary, but less so when most people are going to graduate with a six-figure firm job, a fifth or so of the class clerks (and then presumably makes good money in their next job), and the rest have a safety net of sorts provided they get some kind of employment (I don't think Harvard's LIPP even requires you to be working in law, per se). Columbia's is also fairly good I think; the programs tend to get less cushy as you go down the rankings. The financial aid websites should have calculators or scenarios that show what you would actually have to repay given different earnings scenarios. One more factor to keep in mind that potentially mitigates some of the huge money gap.

That being said, I still have no idea what I'm going to do.

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby capitalacq » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:56 am

ali & ali wrote:Ok, so far I've been accepted to an assortment of T14 schools including Harvard. If I were just planning to practice in New York or DC, I would probably not have a problem choosing a lower ranked school with money attached. The thing is, I have no idea where I want to practice, and I'm even thinking about practicing abroad. Is the Harvard name really worth tens of thousands of dollars in debt? I want a very portable degree (in and outside of the legal field, as well as abroad)...would places like Columbia, NYU and Duke have that kind of reach? Would Yale even have as wide an international reach as Harvard? Thanks for any help!

I have to agree with the others-- if you want to practice abroad, Harvard has the most name recognition (although Columbia will do you well too)... If you get the half-ride at Columbia, just visit both schools and choose the one you'd be more comfortable at

jackgrf
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby jackgrf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:43 am

probably harvard. it's immune

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby rundoxierun » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:47 am

ali & ali wrote:I'm talking a potential half ride at Columbia or potential full ride at Duke. What would your goals be to make you choose CLS with money over Harvard, kurama?


You people are crazy.. take the full ride to Duke.. a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.. and, in this case, Duke is a very pretty bird.

annabell
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby annabell » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:05 pm

What exactly are the opportunities that Harvard and Yale open up that other schools don't? Everyone talks about the greater opportunities but doesn't mention what they are. If Duke or Penn or Columbia offers a clinical very similar to one you'd want at Harvard, is there anything other than the name/prestige/alumni network that is to your benefit?

Also, what if a student is worried that they wouldn't be top 1/2 of the class at Harvard, but is more confident they could succeed academically at Duke or NYU working the same amount? Are those legitimate concerns to be taken into account (*and I know that you shouldn't go to a lower ranked school assuming you will do ridiculously well academically because that's a huge risk)?

Personally, I'm in a similar position (maybe lesser so, I mean I haven't gotten into Columbia...) of choosing between Harvard or T10 w/ $$$ so this thread is really helpful ali & ali.

gocubs2010
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:43 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby gocubs2010 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 pm

charlym wrote:
ali & ali wrote:I'm talking a potential half ride at Columbia or potential full ride at Duke. What would your goals be to make you choose CLS with money over Harvard, kurama?


Take the potential half-ride from CLS... It would be nice to have someone else from Lebanon with me next year!



would Lebanese be considered URM? I'm only 25% Lebanese myself, and american, but hell if it would give me a boost to admission, perhaps I should indicate it. I absolutely love the food though. I probably gained 10 pounds over the last couple weeks eating Kibbe all the time. I don't get it as often as I used to, so it's kind of neat to see people on here familiar with the food.

back to the topic at hand:

there is no chance in hell that I would get into any of those schools, but if it were me, I would go to harvard.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:53 pm

annabell wrote:What exactly are the opportunities that Harvard and Yale open up that other schools don't? Everyone talks about the greater opportunities but doesn't mention what they are. If Duke or Penn or Columbia offers a clinical very similar to one you'd want at Harvard, is there anything other than the name/prestige/alumni network that is to your benefit?

Also, what if a student is worried that they wouldn't be top 1/2 of the class at Harvard, but is more confident they could succeed academically at Duke or NYU working the same amount? Are those legitimate concerns to be taken into account (*and I know that you shouldn't go to a lower ranked school assuming you will do ridiculously well academically because that's a huge risk)?

Personally, I'm in a similar position (maybe lesser so, I mean I haven't gotten into Columbia...) of choosing between Harvard or T10 w/ $$$ so this thread is really helpful ali & ali.


Well, the thing is that HLS has eliminated letter grades and also mandatory low passes, so instead of needing to be top 1/2, you just have to avoid perhaps bottom 5-10% at Harvard. Also it seems that just cause you have HLS stats does not mean you are guaranteed to do better than many students at say Columbia/Duke/NYU... the line is just too fine between T14 applicants nowadays.

These facts combined with the options (both domestic and internationally) that Harvard affords make me lean in that direction given that I'm probably going to be facing a similar choice.

User avatar
The Brainalist
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby The Brainalist » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:04 pm

I find it odd that people think a person who has no idea what they want to do or where they want to live should take out the most amount of loans. That sounds like a disaster.

This person should 1) figure out if they want to even go to law school and why, and 2) if she can't figure that out then avoid dropping 200k on her education if at all possible. The lack of debt will provide far more freedom than a slightly better school.

I do think people here over-guess how much better it is at harvard in this economy than at Columbia. There is really no data on how they've done yet. The grades thing sounds nice, but Berkeley has the same thing and it doesn't make 100% of the people in their class safe from failure. If Harvard's employment numbers end up being 99% for the class of 2009 and CCN's are 60% or 80%, I'll be a believer, but I'm not going to bet full tuition on Harvard until I see that statistic. I seriously am not putting down a deposit until I see some real numbers.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Harvard or a Lower-Ranked School with $$

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:12 pm

gocubs2010 wrote:
charlym wrote:
ali & ali wrote:I'm talking a potential half ride at Columbia or potential full ride at Duke. What would your goals be to make you choose CLS with money over Harvard, kurama?


Take the potential half-ride from CLS... It would be nice to have someone else from Lebanon with me next year!



would Lebanese be considered URM? I'm only 25% Lebanese myself, and american, but hell if it would give me a boost to admission, perhaps I should indicate it. I absolutely love the food though. I probably gained 10 pounds over the last couple weeks eating Kibbe all the time. I don't get it as often as I used to, so it's kind of neat to see people on here familiar with the food.

back to the topic at hand:

there is no chance in hell that I would get into any of those schools, but if it were me, I would go to harvard.


Middle Eastern, including Lebanese, is considered white, so no URM consideration there...




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ConLaw2017 and 5 guests