0 softs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rocaveli

0 softs

Postby rocaveli » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:22 pm

hey guys,

I have no clue what to put in the box marked "extracurriculars" or "awards" - i simply dont have any. I spend my time with friends; running, hiking, yoga, swimming, reading, philosophizing.. my gpa is 3.44, so no awards per-se.

I killed the LSAT but am somewhat worried about this lack of community involvement.

thoughts?

Kiersten1985

Re: 0 softs

Postby Kiersten1985 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:28 pm

I didn't have any community involvement or activities aside from work experience. Any of that?

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:10 pm

ECs are not that important, unless you don't have any. Then I think it does look pretty bad, especially since your GPA is low too. But a 180 looks different to a "low 170s" LSAT, so I think you are okay anyway, although you are going to have a hard time compiling a decent application. What are you going to write your PS about?

rocaveli

Postby rocaveli » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:33 pm

bump-biggity

any more thoughts?

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:36 pm

I don't have any softs either, but I worked all throughout college to support myself. Hopefully AdComms will take that into consideration in my apps.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:39 pm

Its not good, but not a deal breaker. LSAT should carry you a long way.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:47 pm

You weren't ever part of a club relating to those activities? No job?

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:57 pm

Ok, I have trouble interpreting extracurriculars :?

I was under impression that stuff like yoga, sky diving, swimming etc would be considered one especially if the person was heavily/somewhat involved in it (and any rewards/competitions are not necessary). Certain work experience could belong to extracurriculars as well.

From what I see now, extracurricular activities are clubs and volunteering exclusively. :shock:

Anyone care to explain, please?

rocaveli

Postby rocaveli » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:05 pm

did have a pt job junior year, no clubs. school schedule was hectic and i lived off campus - did not want an excuse to drive back there for "club meetings"

i'm not too worried, i consider myself a well-rounded person, but it's kinda stupid how they judge u on basis of what "clubs" or "organizations" u were part of.. as if it matters.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:07 pm

rocaveli wrote:hey guys,

I have no clue what to put in the box marked "extracurriculars" or "awards" - i simply dont have any. I spend my time with friends; running, hiking, yoga, swimming, reading, philosophizing.. my gpa is 3.44, so no awards per-se.

I killed the LSAT but am somewhat worried about this lack of community involvement.

thoughts?

only matters in a tie.

lsatbdog

Postby lsatbdog » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:10 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:Ok, I have trouble interpreting extracurriculars :?

I was under impression that stuff like yoga, sky diving, swimming etc would be considered one especially if the person was heavily/somewhat involved in it (and any rewards/competitions are not necessary). Certain work experience could belong to extracurriculars as well.

From what I see now, extracurricular activities are clubs and volunteering exclusively. :shock:

I don't think extracurricular activities are clubs (not sure how broadly you are defining this term) or volunteering exclusively. Political campaign involvment, varsity collegiate athletics, work (of basically any nature done during UG), honors societies, frats/sororities (again not sure if you count this as a "club) etc are all extracurriculars. Basically, I would consider an extracurricular to be anything that you had to devote some effort and time to and that wasn't solely recreational in nature, ie there was some tangible benefit to it or some barriers to entry, however low.

Further, things like speaking a foreign language, having a pilots liscense, etc are all "softs". I guess a good working definition of a soft is anything that you had to devote a decent amount of time and effort to that had some purpose other than just personal enjoyment and/or produced or did something for other people.

I'm not sure what specifically you are asking, but if you have a sky diving or rock climbing certification or teach a class on them something, I would think that could be a soft and would certainly list it. If you just like to go to the rec center two or three times a week and hit up the pool or rock wall, not so much.

To the OP, did you ever make the Dean's or President's list, or receive any scholarships? It would at least be something to put. Either way I wouldn't worry about it too much, since I doubt it makes too big a difference and even if it does...not much you can do now.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Providing an accurate answer to this depends in part on where you are applying.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:21 pm

lsatbdog wrote:

I don't think extracurricular activities are clubs (not sure how broadly you are defining this term) or volunteering exclusively. Political campaign involvment, varsity collegiate athletics, work (of basically any nature done during UG), honors societies, frats/sororities (again not sure if you count this as a "club) etc are all extracurriculars. Basically, I would consider an extracurricular to be anything that you had to devote some effort and time to and that wasn't solely recreational in nature, ie there was some tangible benefit to it or some barriers to entry, however low.

Further, things like speaking a foreign language, having a pilots liscense, etc are all "softs". I guess a good working definition of a soft is anything that you had to devote a decent amount of time and effort to that had some purpose other than just personal enjoyment and/or produced or did something for other people.

I'm not sure what specifically you are asking, but if you have a sky diving or rock climbing certification or teach a class on them something, I would think that could be a soft and would certainly list it. If you just like to go to the rec center two or three times a week and hit up the pool or rock wall, not so much.

To the OP, did you ever make the Dean's or President's list, or receive any scholarships? It would at least be something to put. Either way I wouldn't worry about it too much, since I doubt it makes too big a difference and even if it does...not much you can do now.

We agree on how we define extracurricular activities, though, I actually thought that even those activities that are exclusively for personal enjoyment, but require quite some time could be listed as well. In general, I think a person should use some common sense as to what is to be listed.

Thank you for the clarification, BTW.

rocaveli

Postby rocaveli » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:23 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:Providing an accurate answer to this depends in part on where you are applying.

T14.

Lol@frat

I should rephrase my original post: I have no documented ECs, but plenty of softs - Im trilingual, have lived in 5 different countries, have three degrees (two in science, one econ), and am in general a cool dood.

jonas586

Postby jonas586 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:27 pm

Find a treadmill and jog for 26 miles; then you can say you're a marathon runner.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:27 pm

rocaveli wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Providing an accurate answer to this depends in part on where you are applying.

T14.

Lol@frat

I should rephrase my original post: I have no documented ECs, but plenty of softs - Im trilingual, have lived in 5 different countries, have three degrees (two in science, one econ), and am in general a cool dood.

....then you have great softs. please don't act like you're too dumb to realize that, its insulting to the rest of us.

what's a "documented EC" anyway? some of the clubs i put on my apps weren't even recognized clubs. we had meetings, applied for recognition multiple semesters and were denied because the administration hated us. wooo.

lsatbdog

Postby lsatbdog » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:30 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:
lsatbdog wrote:

We agree on how we define extracurricular activities, though, I actually thought that even those activities that are exclusively for personal enjoyment, but require quite some time could be listed as well. In general, I think a person should use some common sense as to what is to be listed.

Thank you for the clarification, BTW.

I think you actually could put things down that were down solely for personal enjoyment, but I would list them under an "interests" heading if you are submitting a resume to law school. Something like the fact that you run 40 miles a week or swim 5 days a week might go in here. Might seem like a semantic difference, but that does seem like kind of an important difference. I would think you would only include things like that if you didn't have some more tangible things, such as clubs/work/sports. Like you said, I think common sense dictates a lot of this.

Just my thoughts and my understanding, I could be wrong.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:32 pm

rocaveli wrote:

T14.

Lol@frat

I'm in the same boat, I have tons of work experience and "undocumented" ECs, but I feel it will take me quite some time to coherently and concisely put it on my application and I'm worried of how I am supposed to do it :?

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:33 pm

rocaveli wrote:

T14.

Lol@frat

I imagine having a blank EC field at Berkeley, Yale, and Stanford would be frowned upon. It sounds like you have some decent softs, though, so perhaps there is a way to convey those on the application form.

rocaveli

Postby rocaveli » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:35 pm

rw2264 wrote:....then you have great softs. please don't act like you're too dumb to realize that, its insulting to the rest of us.

what's a "documented EC" anyway? some of the clubs i put on my apps weren't even recognized clubs. we had meetings, applied for recognition multiple semesters and were denied because the administration hated us. wooo.

Sorry dude didn't mean to be insulting - "grass is always greener on the other side"; in no place is this dictum better demonstrated than TLS. you consider my softs great, but I'm insecure about not having been president of the knitting club for four years.. or taken part in model UN.. so on and so forth.

Peace and love (yeah i live in cali)

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:37 pm

rocaveli wrote:
Sorry dude didn't mean to be insulting - "grass is always greener on the other side"; in no place is this dictum better demonstrated than TLS. you consider my softs great, but I'm insecure about not having been president of the knitting club for four years.. or taken part in model UN.. so on and so forth.

Peace and love (yeah i live in cali)

:lol:

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:38 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
rocaveli wrote:

T14.

Lol@frat

I imagine having a blank EC field at Berkeley, Yale, and Stanford would be frowned upon. It sounds like you have some decent softs, though, so perhaps there is a way to convey those on the application form.

And of course UVA. I recently sat down for a heart to heart with members of the admissions committee, as we UVA students are wont to do, and they described how softs and the personal statement can make or break a person's application. A 3.4/159 can demonstrate the fit and strength of character that we Wahoos are known for while a 4.3/180 might lack the depth and interest in his fellow man that we demand of every applicant.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:42 pm

I think that the point of softs is to show that you characteristics of you as a person and to help adcoms guess at your future behavior as a law student and a lawyer. IMHO, listing 15 clubs in which you were a member is less valuable than having one sustained passion that you have pursued in a demonstrated way over time (for example, building boats).

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
rocaveli wrote:

T14.

Lol@frat

And of course UVA. I recently sat down for a heart to heart with members of the admissions committee, as we UVA students are wont to do, and they described how softs and the personal statement can make or break a person's application. A 3.4/159 can demonstrate the fit and strength of character that we Wahoos are known for while a 4.3/180 might lack the depth and interest in his fellow man that we demand of every applicant.

How many of 4.3/180s do you know to be rejected (I'm not talking about Yield Protect here) and 3.4/159s admittted instead at UVA? I personally haven't heard of a single case yet. It might be the case with the marginal numbers, not at the extremes IMO.

rocaveli

Postby rocaveli » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:44 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:I think that the point of softs is to show that you characteristics of you as a person and to help adcoms guess at your future behavior as a law student and a lawyer. IMHO, listing 15 clubs in which you were a member is less valuable than having one sustained passion that you have pursued in a demonstrated way over time (for example, building boats).

buying yatchs?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”