Should I have been accepted at more places by now?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Puffy

Should I have been accepted at more places by now?

Postby Puffy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:36 pm

I have a 172 LSAT and 3.63 LSAT UG GPA. I applied mid November and most of my applications went complete by the end of Nov.

So far I've only heard from GULC, where I am in, although I was fairly sure I would be in at places like Cornell and Duke, if not Michigan. UCLA and USC haven't even accepted me yet. Should I start worrying?

Dignan

Re: Should I have been accepted at more places by now?

Postby Dignan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:43 pm

Puffy wrote:I have a 172 LSAT and 3.63 LSAT UG GPA. I applied mid November and most of my applications went complete by the end of Nov.

So far I've only heard from GULC, where I am in, although I was fairly sure I would be in at places like Cornell and Duke, if not Michigan. UCLA and USC haven't even accepted me yet. Should I start worrying?

I wouldn't worry at all. Many schools, especially those with ED applicants, do not even turn their attention to RD applications until the first of December. And they usually review the apps in chronological order, meaning that they've got to get through all the September and October apps before they even look at yours. If it's February 4th and you still haven't heard anything, then I would start to worry. But January 4th? There's no cause for concern.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:45 pm

No. I went complete mid december, and only heard back from Duke. You should be in at all or almost all schools you mentioned. Don't worry.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Puffy wrote:I have a 172 LSAT and 3.63 LSAT UG GPA. I applied mid November and most of my applications went complete by the end of Nov.

Numbers in profile. Have heard decisions from three schools out of my fourteen (haven't heard a word from UCLA or Duke yet) and applied to almost all of them in early October.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Ok sounds reassuring. I guess I have one more month before I can start panicking.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm in the same boat too.

superserial

Postby superserial » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:17 pm

last cycle I only heard from GULC before Jan 1st. only CLS in Jan. don't worry.

superserial

Postby superserial » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Dignan wrote:

I wouldn't worry at all. Many schools, especially those with ED applicants, do not even turn their attention to RD applications until the first of December. And they usually review the apps in chronological order, meaning that they've got to get through all the September and October apps before they even look at yours. If it's February 4th and you still haven't heard anything, then I would start to worry. But January 4th? There's no cause for concern.

I wouldn't worry on Feb 4th either. Chicago did a big round of decisions around Feb 20th last year... I think Penn and Mich did, as well.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:11 pm

superserial wrote:
Dignan wrote:

I wouldn't worry on Feb 4th either. Chicago did a big round of decisions around Feb 20th last year... I think Penn and Mich did, as well.

I know that schools issue big rounds of decisions in February and even March, but most (though admittedly not all) of the schools will have dealt with mid-November applications by the end of January. Most of those late February acceptances on LSN are for applicants who applied after Thanksgiving. The OP says that he applied everywhere by mid November. If I were him/her and I had not heard from anybody by February 4, I would at least start to be a little concerned.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”