Do I have to tell Fordham where else I'm applying? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rw2264

Bronze

Do I have to tell Fordham where else I'm applying?

Post by rw2264 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:23 pm

i'm applying to fordham but most of the schools i'm applying to are significantly better than fordham... do i really have to tell them? can't i just say cardozo and GWU, which i do plan to apply to? i don't want them to not let me in because i'm using them as a sort of safety.

superserial

Bronze

Re: Do I have to tell Fordham where else I'm applying?

Post by superserial » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:25 pm

I only filled out as many spaces as there were on the application, and I tried to use schools that were arguably Fordham's peer institutions. I wouldn't lie, but I guess you could and say that you were going to apply to the schools you listed but you changed your mind.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:26 pm

+1. Most people don't have a finalized list at the time they apply. Fordham knows this, and expects that your list may change. I wouldn't lie, but I don't think I listed every school I wound up applying to.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:36 pm

If Fordham is truly a safety for you, this will be evident from your application materials. I'm sure that the admissions staff at Fordham is well aware that pretty much all applicants with a 17x are viable candidates at NYU and Columbia, and would likely attend those schools over Fordham if accepted. In other words, by filling out the application honestly, you aren't telling Fordham anything they didn't likely already know, but should you omit this information, you run the risk of appearing dishonest.

This information is more likely used for marketing purposes than for selection of candidates: I don't understand why posters on TLS bring this issue up so frequently.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:43 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:If Fordham is truly a safety for you, this will be evident from your application materials. I'm sure that the admissions staff at Fordham is well aware that pretty much all applicants with a 17x are viable candidates at NYU and Columbia, and would likely attend those schools over Fordham if accepted. In other words, by filling out the application honestly, you aren't telling Fordham anything they didn't likely already know, but should you omit this information, you run the risk of appearing dishonest.

This information is more likely used for marketing purposes than for selection of candidates: I don't understand why posters on TLS bring this issue up so frequently.

your handle is so clever. <4

also, not planning on lying. i am applying to 1 school that is fordham's peer and then some reachy targets? targety reaches? (basically #s 20-30 don't appeal to me at all.) something like that.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Just tell them, they don't care. Believe it or not, they are able to poach T14 candidates quite often.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”