any risk in having an LSN profile?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bloodonthetracks

any risk in having an LSN profile?

Postby bloodonthetracks » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:36 pm

call me paranoid, but posting one's stats, completion/decision dates, etc. seems to entail the risk that adcomms will recognize one, see where one is applying, and factor this into the decision. this assumes that adcomms look at LSN and afford any weight to it. but there must be something else to worry about, right?

please confirm or allay my fears.

Lonagan

Re: any risk in having an LSN profile?

Postby Lonagan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:38 pm

I seem to recall Dean Pless from UIUC saying that he has looked at the site (I don't recall if he said that he uses it in decisions) , and said he believed others do as well.

I don't think it is a huge gamble. I made a profile, and even if there is a small risk I rationalize it as paying in karma to a resource that has been very helpful to me.

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:38 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:call me paranoid, but posting one's stats, completion/decision dates, etc. seems to entail the risk that adcomms will recognize one, see where one is applying, and factor this into the decision. this assumes that adcomms look at LSN and afford any weight to it. but there must be something else to worry about, right?

the paranoid ones will say yes, i will say probably not.

besides, just don't put stupid shit on it. use an unidentifiable name if you're paranoid.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:41 pm

Here's an idea.

Create your profile. Make it non-public (will not appear in searches). You can still share the link with anyone that you'd like to specifically share that information with. Make it public and appearing in searches after your cycle is over.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:43 pm

mikeyp wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:call me paranoid, but posting one's stats, completion/decision dates, etc. seems to entail the risk that adcomms will recognize one, see where one is applying, and factor this into the decision. this assumes that adcomms look at LSN and afford any weight to it. but there must be something else to worry about, right?

the paranoid ones will say yes, i will say probably not.

besides, just don't put stupid shit on it. use an unidentifiable name if you're paranoid.

i realize that it's not smart to put "Joe Schmohawk -- University of Alabama, 2009" on your profile. but if you put your sent/complete/UR/decision dates and your stats on your profile--i.e., what most people do--adcomms can CERTAINLY identify you.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:44 pm

I have a LSN profile that I update constantly. It's private, however, and I will make it public once my cycle is winding down. You could do the same. Give back to next year's applicants without risking your own cycle.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sun May 10, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sourpunch

Postby Sourpunch » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:50 pm

Why would they care? You think X school really believes that you're only applying to it? Nobody cares.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:52 pm

or..... you could just not reveal your true identity on LSN?

i don't think an adcomm would see that a 167/3.6 applied to theirs and every other law school in the country, then go back to their admissions files to find all the people with those numbers and weed them out

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:54 pm

Sourpunch wrote:Why would they care? You think X school really believes that you're only applying to it? Nobody cares.

My original post is more a hypothetical question than a practical question. If I don't want to have a profile on LSN, I don't have to make one. No shit.

Crocodile Duck

Postby Crocodile Duck » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:02 pm

I do think it is a bit risky...

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Crocodile Duck wrote:I do think it is a bit risky...

you bumped a 3-year old thread. are you new to the internet or something?

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Crowing wrote:
Crocodile Duck wrote:I do think it is a bit risky...

you bumped a 3-year old thread. are you new to the internet or something?

haha I was about to give the most enraged reply too. Glad I stayed in and read to the end to see that you already chastised him.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:13 pm

Massive risk.

Or, opportunity? Pretend that your cycle is epic...

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Even if admissions officers had the time to investigate whether a LSN profile belongs to one of their applicants (I don't think they do), it would be incredibly hard to definitively tie the average profile to any particular person.

That's not to say that there's not virtue inherent in refraining from posting personal information on the internet.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 pm

LexLeon wrote:Even if admissions officers had the time to investigate whether a LSN profile belongs to one of their applicants (I don't think they do), it would be incredibly hard to definitively tie the average profile to any particular person.

That's not to say that there's not virtue inherent in refraining from posting personal information on the internet.

Well, if you used accurate numbers, it would probably take 16 seconds.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:57 pm

manofjustice wrote:
LexLeon wrote:Even if admissions officers had the time to investigate whether a LSN profile belongs to one of their applicants (I don't think they do), it would be incredibly hard to definitively tie the average profile to any particular person.

Well, if you used accurate numbers, it would probably take 16 seconds.

Probably more like 17.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:01 am

I've found some of my classmates on there. Just don't make your name super obvious and you will be fine.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:11 pm

nebula666 wrote:I've found some of my classmates on there. Just don't make your name super obvious and you will be fine.

What's the problem with people find your LSN? The only downside, assuming you don't post something racist or something on there, is schools might YP you if you do the ranking preference thing.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”