TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Trifles

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby Trifles » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:54 pm

I want more smilies!

asfasdagdsfawe

Postby asfasdagdsfawe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:54 pm

Trifles wrote:
jayzon wrote:
taytay wrote:I would however rearrange the navigation link bar at the top. The way they are currently arranged makes them look like Google ads and it was probably a dozen visits before I actually read them (I automatically mentally block out ads).

Holy shit. I've been here for almost a year, and never clicked those. Until this very moment, I still thought they were Google ads.

HOLY CRAP those arn't ads. Ken must just be banking it off the site search ads. Killer.

I've also always thought those were ads. Wow, I'm impressed by my ad-ignoring skills.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:32 pm

don't know if this has been brought up yet, but what about an in-thread post search, where I can type in my name, or anyone elses, and see what page i or they posted in that thread only.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:47 pm

Said this earlier in the thread, but will reiterate--My #1 TLS pet peeve is not being able to delete threads from "View your posts." I've lost interest in some of them, and some of the "In at X!!" threads make me feel sad because X dinged me.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:52 pm

ccs1702 wrote:Said this earlier in the thread, but will reiterate--My #1 TLS pet peeve is not being able to delete threads from "View your posts." I've lost interest in some of them, and some of the "In at X!!" threads make me feel sad because X dinged me.

Or when mods (Hawkeye) create and lock a post you didnt make in a thread (Banter) just so you have to see it EVERYDAY even though you hate that thread.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hugoboss

Postby hugoboss » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:50 pm

when users sign up, make it easy for them to post their numbers. auto- promt them.
a week / month after if not filled in, message them asking them to do so. this would help significantly.
when somebody says in at gwu with 105k, i have no idea what their numbers are.
- thanks for all you do - great website.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:30 pm

hugoboss wrote:when users sign up, make it easy for them to post their numbers. auto- promt them.
a week / month after if not filled in, message them asking them to do so. this would help significantly.

A lot of people don't want to post their numbers.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:42 pm

hugoboss wrote:when users sign up, make it easy for them to post their numbers. auto- promt them.

You don't have your numbers posted in your profile, you fail at implementing your own suggestion.

billyez

Postby billyez » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:47 pm

To that person's credit, they could just be a lurker who created a profile to simply make the recommendation. There are lots of people who probably lurk the forums and look at numbers to get a better feeling for their cycle rather than participate in the forums themselves.

Pankun

Postby Pankun » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:15 pm

I don't know if this has been said earlier, but I think it would be cool if users would be allowed to "watch" certain threads and get email notifications if someone has posted in that thread. In that case, we don't have to keep coming back to see if someone has said anything.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Pankun wrote:I don't know if this has been said earlier, but I think it would be cool if users would be allowed to "watch" certain threads and get email notifications if someone has posted in that thread. In that case, we don't have to keep coming back to see if someone has said anything.

"Subscribe topic" in upper lefthand side.

eshort

Postby eshort » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:22 am

I apologize if some of this is out of place, but I only read to page ~3 of this thread.

• I absolutely agree with a Marketplace forum. I felt awkward posting materials for sale in the LSAT Prep forum and they got easily buried in more relevant posts.
  • Please do not remove the "View User's Posts" option. While I have not used it much on this forum, I feel like it IS a crucial component to a forum. People on here are generating an online identity and should not be able to have it all hidden; more accountability, please!
  • The TLS content is in a mishmash. Some reorganization would be great (especially in the articles section). Also, there are some issues with the layout which contribute to the confused feeling of the site (at least for me) and make the content much less accessible.
  • I am pretty sure there is phpBB functionality to allow for use to pick different themes for the look of the forum and adding a couple options would be great.
  • Consider a paid account option (not requirement, please don't flip out). A few bucks one time/annually for no ads and to support TLS would be nice.
  • I saw at least one person requesting more of a push to get user's numbers and totally agree.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:27 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:29 am

paratactical wrote:
I was with you until these.

1) There aren't any ads now, why pay for the privilege of what we've already got?

2) Whether or not you post your numbers should be at your discretion.

but then we would have no real way of judging someone's worth..

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:04 pm

eshort

Postby eshort » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:09 pm

paratactical wrote:
eshort wrote:I apologize if some of this is out of place, but I only read to page ~3 of this thread.

• Consider a paid account option (not requirement, please don't flip out). A few bucks one time/annually for no ads and to support TLS would be nice.
  • I saw at least one person requesting more of a push to get user's numbers and totally agree.

1) There aren't any ads now, why pay for the privilege of what we've already got?

There are ads on TLS, just not the forum.

Also, there could be other benefits given to paid account holders (not sure what these would be, but I have seen them on other forums).

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:48 pm

eshort wrote:
paratactical wrote:
eshort wrote:I apologize if some of this is out of place, but I only read to page ~3 of this thread.

There are ads on TLS, just not the forum.

Also, there could be other benefits given to paid account holders (not sure what these would be, but I have seen them on other forums).

Paids accounts would be a pretty bad idea imo. It would just introduce a lot of security issues. Also, Ken would have to give the mods a lot less free reign, because they would be dealing with paying customers.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:54 pm

How about a "live chat" function?
Last edited by PDaddy on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:01 pm

I've brought this up in other topics, but never here.

I think there should be an anonymous post feature in the forum for law school students. Regardless of how I did first semester, I would be eager to share with other people here what did and did not work for me in terms of study habits, exam strategies, etc. However, given that I see at least a dozen TLSers on a regular basis in law school, I can't post anything relating to my grades here because I don't want to share that information with people I know in real life.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:24 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I've brought this up in other topics, but never here.

I think there should be an anonymous post feature in the forum for law school students. Regardless of how I did first semester, I would be eager to share with other people here what did and did not work for me in terms of study habits, exam strategies, etc. However, given that I see at least a dozen TLSers on a regular basis in law school, I can't post anything relating to my grades here because I don't want to share that information with people I know in real life.

Don't worry, I won't tell. :wink:

While I could support this, the employment forum is often enough trouble to mod since some people use anonymity as an excuse to be (even more of) a douchebag.

That's true, it would probably be overused. Maybe a rule that anonymous posting could only be used for the discussion of grades, and any anonymous posts not relating to grades would be outed.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:55 pm

The ability to embed videos.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”