TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Danteshek

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:14 am

Ken, I suggest you call my friend Jordan Goldman at Unigo.com. We went to college together. I'm sure he would have some great suggestions for your site.

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:17 am

Dear Ken and mods,
I think members should have the ability to not only close but to delete their accounts. I for one feel I have offered a good bit of useful information on here but I also know I have bs’d a lot on here as well-if ones chooses to delete their account all of their postings should be deleted as well. I don’t think you should be able to go back and delete individual post, but lets say three or four years from now one is seeking legal employment and TLS is searched by employers, should they be scrutinized based on post they made years ago? I probably wouldn’t delete my account but I think that is a fair option to have. If I generated my post and the content of my account it seems logical that I be able to close and delete it. This is my humble but I do feel strongly it is fair. I also understand that keeping post up holds people accountable and establishes some integrity in an anonymous environment. I am not talking about people shutting down their accounts every time they say something they regret but if one chooses to close their account for good it seems fair that they be aloud.

please give feedback as to the pros and cons of this

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:19 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken

Postby Ken » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:52 am

Interesting thoughts regarding deleting posts. Having some period (6 months or a year before they can be deleted) so as not to leave holes in the forum would allow this to be done relatively smoothly. Something to consider. Cons would be that old posts still do get read (mainly due to google searches) and they would be incomplete if a lot of posters deleted their accounts, but the pros you outlined of greater freedom may counter balance the cons.

On another note, here is the Emory interview I promised earlier:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/david-pa ... rview.html

And also the expanded UCLA profile:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/ucla-law-school.html

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:28 pm

I think that the 6 month to a year delay is fair. I also don't think that there will be alot of holes in the forum because I don't think a lot of people will delete, but thats just my humble.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:33 pm

anibulbul

Postby anibulbul » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:07 pm

I would like to see less bias towards Cali schools (and Berkeley in particular) on this website.

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:06 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Does this mean the forum is still using version 3.0.0? If that is the case, please update at least once this year. :?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:56 pm

paratactical wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
jayzon wrote:
Ken wrote:Interesting thoughts regarding deleting posts. Having some period (6 months or a year before they can be deleted) so as not to leave holes in the forum would allow this to be done relatively smoothly. Something to consider. Cons would be that old posts still do get read (mainly due to google searches) and they would be incomplete if a lot of posters deleted their accounts, but the pros you outlined of greater freedom may counter balance the cons.

Is it possible to keep the content of the post, while deleting its author? More pros; fewer cons.

I like this idea (provided the author has to proactively make the old posts anonymous).

Maybe upon deleting your account, your posts could be titled "deleted user".

it's an idea, but won't work because of other people quoting precisely like I've just done.

In any case, I don't get how can one trace someone down in several years. Most people just don't reveal enough info about themselves, others are hard to narrow down. and why are people that paranoid: if you know you're going to act like a jerk, don't reveal anything about yourself; if you act the way you are, what's the difference then.

I doubt it would even occur to someone to search TLS in 20 years when you run for a president in hope to find some traces, and, in fact, what provable traces can be found in any case. LOL, people cool down, no one is trying to track down your important persona.

Ken, in fact, I think it's horrible idea to let anyone delete their posts completely. It would leave way too many holes in the old threads which are, by the way, very useful, especially for newbies. The people who jerk around could be posting really valuable info, especially in the admission and prep forums. More so, those who spend the most time on the forum and post non-sense are usually the ones who've gathered the most info and post good really good stuff once in a while. So, no, I vote against: cons way outweight pros.

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:39 pm

It would leave no holes in the forum if the content was kept and titled deleted user, as for not deleting quotes that is a pretty simple fix just program the software to delete quote names as well-seems easy to me but I know little about softare and programming. It is not a terrible idea if one creates the post they have a right to delete it or atleast their name. I am not talking about acting like a jerk and then being paranoid I am simply saying if one wants to delete their account they should have that right, it seems obvious to me and I don't see anything horrible about it. Also I am just advocating this point I personaly don't want to delete my acount.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:07 pm

rocross1 wrote:It would leave no holes in the forum if the content was kept and titled deleted user, as for not deleting quotes that is a pretty simple fix just program the software to delete quote names as well-seems easy to me but I know little about softare and programming. It is not a terrible idea if one creates the post they have a right to delete it or atleast their name. I am not talking about acting like a jerk and then being paranoid I am simply saying if one wants to delete their account they should have that right, it seems obvious to me and I don't see anything horrible about it. Also I am just advocating this point I personaly don't want to delete my acount.

Well, I don't know much about software as well, but automatically replacing the name in the quotes upon termination of one's account doesn't seem like a viable option. The quotes is really associated with a combination of symbols and to have a software to differentiate what is the content of a post and what is the username itself sounds tough or at least an expensive thing to have. Only maybe if there is a program that can run forum's whole history and can replace certain word with the phase to be associated with deleted accounts. But looks like another issue again, because if one has say "Lincoln" login name, the system would replace any Lincoln word with the "deleted user" one. LOL I can imagine that.

My point is that even if there an option to replace usernames in quotes it would be too complicated and/or too expensive and, thus, not worth the hustle.

On a side note, I agree that the search function is terrible let alone the fact that I cannot search for PTs, Qs etc at all because "there are too many entries of that kind".

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:38 pm

jayzon wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:
rocross1 wrote:It would leave no holes in the forum if the content was kept and titled deleted user, as for not deleting quotes that is a pretty simple fix just program the software to delete quote names as well-seems easy to me but I know little about softare and programming. It is not a terrible idea if one creates the post they have a right to delete it or atleast their name. I am not talking about acting like a jerk and then being paranoid I am simply saying if one wants to delete their account they should have that right, it seems obvious to me and I don't see anything horrible about it. Also I am just advocating this point I personaly don't want to delete my acount.

Well, I don't know much about software as well, but automatically replacing the name in the quotes upon termination of one's account doesn't seem like a viable option. The quotes is really associated with a combination of symbols and to have a software to differentiate what is the content of a post and what is the username itself sounds tough or at least an expensive thing to have. Only maybe if there is a program that can run forum's whole history and can replace certain word with the phase to be associated with deleted accounts. But looks like another issue again, because if one has say "Lincoln" login name, the system would replace any Lincoln word with the "deleted user" one. LOL I can imagine that.

My point is that even if there an option to replace usernames in quotes it would be too complicated and/or too expensive and, thus, not worth the hustle.

On a side note, I agree that the search function is terrible let alone the fact that I cannot search for PTs, Qs etc at all because "there are too many entries of that kind".

The site is in PHP. Conceivably, one could write a program that auto-replaces the files within the database, like "Search and Replace" on Notepad or Word.

Someone might have already written one.

My point was that the problem would be with what to replace and what not to, however, as I said I'm not a programmer so my knowledge is extememly limited. If it's possible, I would say go for it. I'm against completely deleting posts. Though, half of the posts in the thread under "deleted user" could be tough to read as well.

Actually, now that I think about it, it should not be a problem for it to replace the following [ quote="Lincoln" ], but it wouldn't be able to replace things like: Lincoln, you're a complete jerk (which is not that important, in fact).

taytay

Postby taytay » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:53 pm

While I'm not a fan of the overall design (like the random mashup of photos) this is a law site and it gets the job done. I would however rearrange the navigation link bar at the top. The way they are currently arranged makes them look like Google ads and it was probably a dozen visits before I actually read them (I automatically mentally block out ads).

Also I would like to see a section dedicated to Canadian law students and because it is currently hard to get a good grasp of what's going in law schools up north (stats, jobs, etc.). So far the only other forum for Canadians that I have found is lawstudents.ca and it kinda sucks.

Overall this site is awesome though!

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:12 pm

jayzon wrote:
taytay wrote:I would however rearrange the navigation link bar at the top. The way they are currently arranged makes them look like Google ads and it was probably a dozen visits before I actually read them (I automatically mentally block out ads).

Holy shit. I've been here for almost a year, and never clicked those. Until this very moment, I still thought they were Google ads.

:lol:

Ken

Postby Ken » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:07 am

There is a ton of great content on the site that many forum members do not know about. I will tell my webmaster to change the font so members know to click on these articles and as a whole one of my goals for 2010 is for better integration between the forum (where most of the action is) and the static site, which has a huge amount of great content and only getting better as I will be adding a lot of content this year. Thanks for the suggestions, they are greatly appreciated and please keep them coming. Cheers,

Ken

skip james

Postby skip james » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:11 am

Ken wrote:There is a ton of great content on the site that many forum members do not know about.

this is true. to optimally use this site, I think a bit of digging is required. lots of good old posts. hidden gems, in my opinion.

asfasdagdsfawe

Postby asfasdagdsfawe » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:28 am

1. It would be great if there were some way of identifying, on a given thread which you have posted on, what pages your post(s) can be found on, as well as where they are quoted by others.

2. Larger maximum limit (or no limit) to number of options in polls.

christopher1108

Postby christopher1108 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:56 pm

I think I may be speaking for a number of people, but how about some more information on t3 and t4 schools. I know this is "top law schools", but there are many who come to this site for helpful information and insight who don't have a 170 and 3.8. Thanks

ahk!

Postby ahk! » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:03 pm

iphone app

parker09

Postby parker09 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:14 pm

this is a tiny, nitpicky remark, and there's a good chance i'm just being an idiot and overlooking something obvious but... i cannot find what dates the interviews with deans were conducted. it would be useful since, for example, the Dean Tom interview says something about how "apps are down this year," which is obviously not THIS year...

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:44 pm

I don't know if this is already possible or has been mentioned already, but I suggest a way to ignore and not see certain threads. Like some law schools I have no interest in and just don't want to see.

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:48 pm

jayzon wrote:
taytay wrote:I would however rearrange the navigation link bar at the top. The way they are currently arranged makes them look like Google ads and it was probably a dozen visits before I actually read them (I automatically mentally block out ads).

Holy shit. I've been here for almost a year, and never clicked those. Until this very moment, I still thought they were Google ads.

HOLY CRAP those arn't ads. Ken must just be banking it off the site search ads. Killer.

annapavlova

Postby annapavlova » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Somebody probably already brought this up but I don't want to read the whole thread (out of laziness, not because I have anything particularly important to do).

I'd like to see a one-stop database for transfer numbers and info. Sort of like LSN but TLS style. I know there aren't a LOT of people transferring on TLS, but for those who have, it gets cumbersome to try to search through all of the different threads about it, read different accounts with different advice, etc.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:53 pm

a "quick reply" feature on the forums

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”