TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ATOIsp07

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:14 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:Who the f*** cares what race mods are of!!! Or should we have a percentage of each? In fact by doing so, we are discriminating those poor white kids who might be more fit to be a mod. :roll:

BTW, looks like his intention is to get Ken into this debate "to set a precedent". please, stop impelling Ken into this stuff, cool down. No one is insulting minorities. We are too cool for that 8) (Just kidding)

Ken asked for suggestions and, as a TLSer, I have just as much right as you do to offer suggestions that would approve the quality of TLS and its environment for its users. if you think having a precedent set to discourage racism, prejudice and discrimination is not worthy of a suggestion, then, quite frankly, i don't want to communicate with you.

Whether Ken wants to act upon the suggestions he's given, that's on him. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be disheartened if Ken decided to just somehow overlook my suggestions. But, believe it or not, my sentiments and suggestions have been shared by various TLSers (and yes, the majority of which are URMs). so, Ken , in ignoring my request, would be doing everyone on this site a disservice, especially URMs. This is what it is.

And, what if there were more than a few URM moderators? what's the issue with making sure URMs are represented as mods and not just users?

Apparently, as you've acknowledged, some TLS posters aren't "too cool" to bash minorities.

I can't believe this! I offer a suggestion for increased awareness of diversity and an effort to deter discrimination on TLS and I'm facing this backlash from TLSers. In a way, my case in point is proven.

This thread is not the place for this. You've made your suggestions known. Everybody, move on.

what's "this"? please explain Helmholtz because I've offered my suggestions, some users have questioned them, and now I'm defending them.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:18 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:Who the f*** cares what race mods are of!!! Or should we have a percentage of each? In fact by doing so, we are discriminating those poor white kids who might be more fit to be a mod. :roll:

BTW, looks like his intention is to get Ken into this debate "to set a precedent". please, stop impelling Ken into this stuff, cool down. No one is insulting minorities. We are too cool for that 8) (Just kidding)

Ken asked for suggestions and, as a TLSer, I have just as much right as you do to offer suggestions that would approve the quality of TLS and its environment for its users. if you think having a precedent set to discourage racism, prejudice and discrimination is not worthy of a suggestion, then, quite frankly, i don't want to communicate with you.

Whether Ken wants to act upon the suggestions he's given, that's on him. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be disheartened if Ken decided to just somehow overlook my suggestions. But, believe it or not, my sentiments and suggestions have been shared by various TLSers (and yes, the majority of which are URMs). so, Ken , in ignoring my request, would be doing everyone on this site a disservice, especially URMs. This is what it is.

And, what if there were more than a few URM moderators? what's the issue with making sure URMs are represented as mods and not just users?

Apparently, as you've acknowledged, some TLS posters aren't "too cool" to bash minorities.

I can't believe this! I offer a suggestion for increased awareness of diversity and an effort to deter discrimination on TLS and I'm facing this backlash from TLSers. In a way, my case in point is proven.

This thread is not the place for this. You've made your suggestions known. Everybody, move on.

what's "this"? please explain Helmholtz because I've offered my suggestions, some users have questioned them, and now I'm defending them.

This = arguing pointlessly about how racist/bigoted/prejudiced/elitist TLS is. You have made your complaints known and shouldn't be posting anymore ITT.

The purpose of this thread is to get some feedback from the users, don't spoil it.

js87

Postby js87 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Since this thread was derailed, I will reiterate my request from 3 pages ago.

Historical rankings on the 2011 rankings page so students can see trends in school ranking (ie: up-and-coming schools, t-14 fluctuations)

zapper

Postby zapper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 pm

zapper wrote:lots of stats and "make your own" graphs (a la LSN but better)

i second the suggestion for a "hall of fame" for really good, informative posts on perennial questions (count "thumbs up" votes on posts?)

more expertise from admissions professionals and lawyers

maybe a page that shows the latest threads in more than one category.

a smartphone app...

reiterating here too...

ihatelaw

Postby ihatelaw » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:24 am

Some of my suggestions already exist in the forums but I'm thinking more articles, organized sections of TLS dedicated to job hunts.

More information/sections fo the site dedicated to:
summer jobs
jobs post law school
clerkships
government employment
nonprofit work
non-law opportunities for JD holders
etc

I guess what I really had in mind was a collection of a lot of the information given out at different law schools to students. So all that great stuff CLS, NYU, HLS, etc have on their websites to help people with job hunts and becoming lawyers. Simple things like resume and cover letter writing, interview tips, etc. A lot of this exists in posts but I'd love to see it all collected in one spot so that TLS can be a sort of one stop resource for the things a law student needs to know. So if we're writing cover letters we can see links or examples from multiple schools, etc.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:31 am

HAMBONE wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
CE2JD wrote:We need an anonymous feature to discuss our grades in the Forum for Law Students.

+1

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:33 am

CE2JD wrote:
HAMBONE wrote:
CE2JD wrote:
CE2JD wrote:We need an anonymous feature to discuss our grades in the Forum for Law Students.

+1

Space_Cowboy

Postby Space_Cowboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:36 am

PhofiB

Postby PhofiB » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 am

I'm still new to all of this law school stuff (still an undergrad)... it's been hard getting legit info about admissions without having to dig for a while. Thank God for TLS. :D

Anyways, I'd personally like to see more info about all the LSAT prep companies out there. I know a lot of past threads talk about personal experiences, but I'd like a more condensed, critiqued version and a ranking if possible.

I'm trying to research and compare them to see which would work best for me, but it's been quite an irritating experience. I want to take a class... now I have to figure out which one :x

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:03 am

Am I the only one who's surprised at which threads end up getting caught up in the URM-AA debate? :shock:

What about a general FAQ sticked post in relevant forums? For instance, in the LSAT Prep and Discussion forum there are probably 10+ questions that get repeatedly asked... (do the scores actually come out early / how do we know / previous release dates / what does a curve mean / how much improvement can one expect from a diagnostic of 1xx) that, honestly, long-time TLSers probably get sick of answering but new users find really important...

rv11

Postby rv11 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:08 am

iPhone app

Ken

Postby Ken » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:09 am

Thanks everyone for the excellent posts. I particularly like some of the very recent ones just posted. All of them are appreciated and being listened to and will be implemented at some point in 2010. I have just hired a very talented TLS member to help me with everything and very soon we will be recruiting more TLS members to help write new content and organize much of the great content that is already on the forum.

TLS will add new moderators in a few months as our traffic continues to grow. Over the years TLS has had several talented moderators who are members of an under represented minority, but Lishi is currently the only active moderator presently a URM (once moderators enter their 3rd year of law school or become lawyers they often do not have much time for TLS and move on). For the next round of moderators, offering a diverse perspective is a big plus but the biggest criteria is how much members have contributed to TLS and how much time they can give to TLS.

Thank you again everyone for your suggestions, I feel that 2010 will be a great year for the TLS community to grow as I finally begin harnessing the collective genius of TLS members to help expand and better organize the site.

As an FYI, interviews with the Dean of Emory and Dean of Admissions for Boston University will be posted tomorrow.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 am

Ken wrote:Thanks everyone for the excellent posts. I particularly like some of the very recent ones just posted. All of them are appreciated and being listened to and will be implemented at some point in 2010. I have just hired a very talented TLS member to help me with everything and very soon we will be recruiting more TLS members to help write new content and organize much of the great content that is already on the forum.

TLS will add new moderators in a few months as our traffic continues to grow. Over the years TLS has had several talented moderators who are members of an under represented minority, but Lishi is currently the only active moderator presently a URM (once moderators enter their 3rd year of law school or become lawyers they often do not have much time for TLS and move on). For the next round of moderators, offering a diverse perspective is a big plus but the biggest criteria is how much members have contributed to TLS and how much time they can give to TLS.

Thank you again everyone for your suggestions, I feel that 2010 will be a great year for the TLS community to grow as I finally begin harnessing the collective genius of TLS members to help expand and better organize the site.

As an FYI, interviews with the Dean of Emory and Dean of Admissions for Boston University will be posted tomorrow.

Sounds like 2010 will be a good year for TLS, thanks for all of your work Ken/Mods.

kimber1028

Postby kimber1028 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 pm

zapper wrote:a smartphone app...

This. An iPhone app would absolutely make my day.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:56 pm

kimber1028 wrote:

Blackberry. Iphone is the worst phone of all time.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:22 pm

paratactical wrote:
Inygma wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:

Ahem

For phone capabilities, I'd argue it is still better than an Iphone. I'm biased though because I owned the original iphone, after going to a Blackberry, I'd never turn back.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:25 pm

I'd like health insurance with my TLS membership.

Thanks!

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:02 pm

I concur with various suggestions offered ITT and I also have some of my own unique suggestions:

1. Better search functionality is definitely a good idea.

2. An anonymous function in the law school students forum dedicated to the purpose of discussing grades is a very, extraordinarily good idea.

3. I would love to see a TLS marketplace where I could sell my used E&Es and other things, purchase supplements at bargain prices, and others could use for the purpose of selling/buying their LSAT prep materials.

4. I think a TLS outline bank is an awesome idea; I would also like to suggest a case brief bank, as the canned briefs on lexis aren't typically satisfactory and I personally would contribute a ton of information, as would, I am sure, many others.

5. While I realize that it is typically a violation of a school's honor code to procure outside assistance on legal writing assignments, I think that if TLS had a store of a couple sample memos and research papers written by some of our more successful members, it would be helpful. While I realize that many people might not want to contribute, I think this would be a very helpful feature.

6. I also second the idea of gathering an archive of how students placed in clerkships, big law, and internships in a similar, and probably far more advanced, version of LSN.

7. This is just an aside, but I'd like it if the site were more aesthetically pleasing; in addition, I would like to be able to log in from the home page.

8. I am all for a thread ranking system, I think it would be a useful feature if it were not abused (I think there would have to be a way for mods to see who was voting what in order to prevent people from doing this; that being said, I am not technologically savvy enough to know if what I just recommended is even possible).

9. In fact, it would be nice to have a forum with all of the helpful threads centralized; I know Lishi's thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26949 does a pretty good job, but, I think that if there were just a forum that centralized all of the advice threads and separated them by topic material, it would be stellar.

Okay, that's all I can think of off of the top of my head; I'll return if I think of anything else. Thanks for all your great work Ken, this is by far and away my favorite website and I would have been lost without it (it's been extraordinarily helpful thus far in law school, almost more so than it was during the application process).

Cheers!

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:49 pm

I would like a way to eliminate threads from the "View your posts" feature. Sometimes I lose interest in a thread (i.e. once I'm rejected somewhere and no longer wish to see "U of X 2010!!!!!!") and would like to scratch it from the list.

kimber1028

Postby kimber1028 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:06 pm

Inygma wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:

I don't have the phone. I did get the free iPod touch from BARBRI, though, and I like that quite a bit.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:13 pm

No need for a browser specific website, merely a mobile version that works on all mobile platforms. Whoever Ken paid for the forum probably already has code written for it.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:21 pm

I haven't read this whole thread so sorry if this is redundant...but I would love it if TLS stats could be organized by application year (or at least have the option to sort them this way). In scrolling through admitted students, I have to click on them to see whether they are applying in this cycle or whether they were 2 years ago, etc.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:22 pm

ccs1702 wrote:I would like a way to eliminate threads from the "View your posts" feature. Sometimes I lose interest in a thread (i.e. once I'm rejected somewhere and no longer wish to see "U of X 2010!!!!!!") and would like to scratch it from the list.

+10000000000000

Now that I am rejected from UCLA, I don't like seeing it at the top of my list everytime I check my posts. Also, the bored forum game is always at the top and is getting annoying haha.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:23 pm

kimber1028 wrote:
Inygma wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:

I don't have the phone. I did get the free iPod touch from BARBRI, though, and I like that quite a bit.

The apps for iphone are great. The iphone, as a phone, is horrid.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”