TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:06 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:Something to wonder, are there any URM moderators?


There is at least one, yes.



who? i'd like to know all of them, if possible.


Most of our moderators do not go to T14 law school, some are LGBT and/or URM, they've come from a diverse set of backgrounds, and make up a pretty good spectrum of law school students' age range. The problem is not with the moderators, dude.


is this a fact or a desperate statement? i only see the same 10 moderators, and from the looks of their profiles, none of them are ethnic minorities. but you can keep telling yourself that.

and why won't you just accept the fact that moderators and Ken, as a whole, could do a better job of taking a stance against prejudice and snobbery. I'm not asking for a revolution. Hell, if Ken actually followed these threads, I'm sure he'd be shocked. Why can't he ever make a statement in these sort of threads when they get out of hand? Or, why not a moderator, instead of adding fuel to the fire as is done usually?

User avatar
Space_Cowboy
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:52 am

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby Space_Cowboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:11 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:is this a fact or a desperate statement? i only see the same 10 moderators, and from the looks of their profiles, none of them are ethnic minorities. but you can keep telling yourself that.

and why won't you just accept the fact that moderators and Ken, as a whole, could do a better job of taking a stance against prejudice and snobbery. I'm not asking for a revolution. Hell, if Ken actually followed these threads, I'm sure he'd be shocked. Why can't he ever make a statement in these sort of threads when they get out of hand? Or, why not a moderator, instead of adding fuel to the fire as is done usually?


You're in the wrong profession.

Also, per your previous post, finding undertones of racism based on a thread titles like "shouldn't GPA be the most important factors?," tells me you're overreacting more than a bit.

Sky'stheLimit
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:16 pm

LawandOrder wrote:Fix the completely nonfunctional search system



Second this

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:17 pm

Space_Cowboy wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:is this a fact or a desperate statement? i only see the same 10 moderators, and from the looks of their profiles, none of them are ethnic minorities. but you can keep telling yourself that.

and why won't you just accept the fact that moderators and Ken, as a whole, could do a better job of taking a stance against prejudice and snobbery. I'm not asking for a revolution. Hell, if Ken actually followed these threads, I'm sure he'd be shocked. Why can't he ever make a statement in these sort of threads when they get out of hand? Or, why not a moderator, instead of adding fuel to the fire as is done usually?


You're in the wrong profession.

Also, per your previous post, finding undertones of racism based on a thread titles like "shouldn't GPA be the most important factors?," tells me you're overreacting more than a bit.


Um, no! Wake up and stop being clueless!

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Satoren wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:Fix the completely nonfunctional search system



Second this


Have you been using the Advanced Forum Search or just the basic one to the upper left (that I never use)?

User avatar
echoi
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby echoi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:28 pm

Satoren wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:Fix the completely nonfunctional search system



Second this


+3

jelizabeth88
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby jelizabeth88 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:29 pm

First of all, this site is great, there really is nothing else like it for prospective law students. I think it'd be helpful to have some more salary information though and also information on different law specialties. For example, for environmental law it'd be nice to see some career paths, special programs at different schools, and in general just a little more info about what you're getting yourself into. Improving the search function would help as well so you could more easily find what past threads have said on the topic.

Thanks Ken & moderators!

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby paratactical » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:42 pm

.
Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheLuckyOne
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby TheLuckyOne » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:45 pm

ATOIsp07, just because a lot of people are against AA and find it .. ahem ..sort of... unfair, doesn't mean they are racists or behave in a derogatory manner towards URMs :roll:

I don't remember seeing threads where someone would blatantly bash races by virtue of being of a different color. Come on, dude, keep your insecurities to yourself and don't make a fuss out of a non-existent stuff.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby paratactical » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 pm

.
Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pattymac
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby pattymac » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:48 pm

t-shirts!!!!

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:49 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:ATOIsp07, just because a lot of people are against AA and find it .. ahem ..sort of... unfair, doesn't mean they are racists or behave in a derogatory manner towards URMs :roll:

I don't remember seeing threads where someone would blatantly bash races



racism doesn't need to be blatant. and, for the most part, it isn't. but some of the posts on this site have been blatantly prejudiced and have had undertones of racism. this is a fact!

but do you guys know why you win at the end, because Ken won't step up to the plate in regards to prejudice, racism on TLS. he can talk about obscure law schools and obscure admissions facts but he won't take a precedent. and to be honest, the mods won't either because of Ken's reluctance. hell, find an established moderator who is a URM!

and this is without discussing AA.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:49 pm

pattymac wrote:t-shirts!!!!


+1!

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby paratactical » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:51 pm

.
Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:52 pm

paratactical wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:hell, find an established moderator who is a URM!


Have you ever considered that, perhaps, any URM mods might not want to go around announcing their URM-ness?



maybe. but if that's the case, what does that say about the state of affairs with TLS in general?

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby paratactical » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:53 pm

.
Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:54 pm

paratactical wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
paratactical wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:hell, find an established moderator who is a URM!


Have you ever considered that, perhaps, any URM mods might not want to go around announcing their URM-ness?



maybe. but if that's the case, what does that say about the state of affairs with TLS in general?


Or maybe it speaks more to the fact that everybody knows what law schools they go to and most people prefer not to be known in their law school classes as that URM mod from TLS.


we'll never know now, will we?

User avatar
TheLuckyOne
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby TheLuckyOne » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:55 pm

paratactical wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:ATOIsp07, just because a lot of people are against AA and find it .. ahem ..sort of... unfair, doesn't mean they are racists or behave in a derogatory manner towards URMs :roll:

I don't remember seeing threads where someone would blatantly bash races


To his credit, there have been a few posters (mostly trolls and flames) that have been blatantly racist, homophobic or otherwise nasty human beings. Thankfully, we've got a team of dedicated (even if some of them are assholes) mods that handles those posters swiftly with a banstick.


Could be, but I was talking not about trolls (who actually bash not ONLY URMs; most of the time the subject of their interest is by no means URMs or AA), but about normal posters and mods who presumably allow unacceptable claims and/or add to it.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:58 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:
paratactical wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:ATOIsp07, just because a lot of people are against AA and find it .. ahem ..sort of... unfair, doesn't mean they are racists or behave in a derogatory manner towards URMs :roll:

I don't remember seeing threads where someone would blatantly bash races


To his credit, there have been a few posters (mostly trolls and flames) that have been blatantly racist, homophobic or otherwise nasty human beings. Thankfully, we've got a team of dedicated (even if some of them are assholes) mods that handles those posters swiftly with a banstick.


Could be, but I was talking not about trolls (who actually bash not ONLY URMs; most of the time the subject of their interest is by no means URMs or AA), but about normal posters and mods who presumably allow unacceptable claims and/or add to it.


now you're just being ignorant. you honestly haven't seen it or maybe you're looking the other way. but i guess that's why you're the "luckyone", right? either way, you're wrong. simply put. wake up!

User avatar
TheLuckyOne
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby TheLuckyOne » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:02 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
paratactical wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
paratactical wrote:Have you ever considered that, perhaps, any URM mods might not want to go around announcing their URM-ness?



maybe. but if that's the case, what does that say about the state of affairs with TLS in general?


Or maybe it speaks more to the fact that everybody knows what law schools they go to and most people prefer not to be known in their law school classes as that URM mod from TLS.


we'll never know now, will we?


Who the f*** cares what race mods are!!! Or should we have a percentage of each? In fact by doing so, we are discriminating those poor white kids who might be more fit to be a mod. :roll:

BTW, looks like his intention is to get Ken into this debate "to set a precedent". please, stop impelling Ken into this stuff, cool down. No one is insulting minorities. We are too cool for that 8) (Just kidding)

ATOIsp07 wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:
paratactical wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:ATOIsp07, just because a lot of people are against AA and find it .. ahem ..sort of... unfair, doesn't mean they are racists or behave in a derogatory manner towards URMs :roll:

I don't remember seeing threads where someone would blatantly bash races


To his credit, there have been a few posters (mostly trolls and flames) that have been blatantly racist, homophobic or otherwise nasty human beings. Thankfully, we've got a team of dedicated (even if some of them are assholes) mods that handles those posters swiftly with a banstick.


Could be, but I was talking not about trolls (who actually bash not ONLY URMs; most of the time the subject of their interest is by no means URMs or AA), but about normal posters and mods who presumably allow unacceptable claims and/or add to it.


now you're just being ignorant. you honestly haven't seen it or maybe you're looking the other way. but i guess that's why you're the "luckyone", right? either way, you're wrong. simply put. wake up!


I don't know what you're talking about. I had tons of minority friends most of whom were black, however, what I noticed is that a lot of times they were trying to separate themselves from the white folks, and it seemed very intentional. As if they were trying to show/prove they were in fact different. I could be wrong, though, but that's my personal observation.

User avatar
zapper
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby zapper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:07 pm

lots of stats and "make your own" graphs (a la LSN but better)

i second the suggestion for a "hall of fame" for really good, informative posts on perennial questions (count "thumbs up" votes on posts?)

more expertise from admissions professionals and lawyers

maybe a page that shows the latest threads in more than one category.

a smartphone app...

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:09 pm

Separation is just a defensive reaction to discrimination. Anyway, pretty pointless to talk about here. Drop it.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:10 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:Who the f*** cares what race mods are of!!! Or should we have a percentage of each? In fact by doing so, we are discriminating those poor white kids who might be more fit to be a mod. :roll:

BTW, looks like his intention is to get Ken into this debate "to set a precedent". please, stop impelling Ken into this stuff, cool down. No one is insulting minorities. We are too cool for that 8) (Just kidding)



Ken asked for suggestions and, as a TLSer, I have just as much right as you do to offer suggestions that would approve the quality of TLS and its environment for its users. if you think having a precedent set to discourage racism, prejudice and discrimination is not worthy of a suggestion, then, quite frankly, i don't want to communicate with you.

Whether Ken wants to act upon the suggestions he's given, that's on him. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be disheartened if Ken decided to just somehow overlook my suggestions. But, believe it or not, my sentiments and suggestions have been shared by various TLSers (and yes, the majority of which are URMs). so, Ken , in ignoring my request, would be doing everyone on this site a disservice, especially URMs. This is what it is.

And, what if there were more than a few URM moderators? what's the issue with making sure URMs are represented as mods and not just users?

Apparently, as you've acknowledged, some TLS posters aren't "too cool" to bash minorities.

I can't believe this! I offer a suggestion for increased awareness of diversity and an effort to deter discrimination on TLS and I'm facing this backlash from TLSers. In a way, my case in point is proven.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:12 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:Who the f*** cares what race mods are of!!! Or should we have a percentage of each? In fact by doing so, we are discriminating those poor white kids who might be more fit to be a mod. :roll:

BTW, looks like his intention is to get Ken into this debate "to set a precedent". please, stop impelling Ken into this stuff, cool down. No one is insulting minorities. We are too cool for that 8) (Just kidding)



Ken asked for suggestions and, as a TLSer, I have just as much right as you do to offer suggestions that would approve the quality of TLS and its environment for its users. if you think having a precedent set to discourage racism, prejudice and discrimination is not worthy of a suggestion, then, quite frankly, i don't want to communicate with you.

Whether Ken wants to act upon the suggestions he's given, that's on him. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be disheartened if Ken decided to just somehow overlook my suggestions. But, believe it or not, my sentiments and suggestions have been shared by various TLSers (and yes, the majority of which are URMs). so, Ken , in ignoring my request, would be doing everyone on this site a disservice, especially URMs. This is what it is.

And, what if there were more than a few URM moderators? what's the issue with making sure URMs are represented as mods and not just users?

Apparently, as you've acknowledged, some TLS posters aren't "too cool" to bash minorities.

I can't believe this! I offer a suggestion for increased awareness of diversity and an effort to deter discrimination on TLS and I'm facing this backlash from TLSers. In a way, my case in point is proven.


This thread is not the place for this. You've made your suggestions known. Everybody, move on.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: TLS improvements in 2010 - what would you like

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:13 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:Who the f*** cares what race mods are of!!! Or should we have a percentage of each? In fact by doing so, we are discriminating those poor white kids who might be more fit to be a mod. :roll:

BTW, looks like his intention is to get Ken into this debate "to set a precedent". please, stop impelling Ken into this stuff, cool down. No one is insulting minorities. We are too cool for that 8) (Just kidding)



Ken asked for suggestions and, as a TLSer, I have just as much right as you do to offer suggestions that would approve the quality of TLS and its environment for its users. if you think having a precedent set to discourage racism, prejudice and discrimination is not worthy of a suggestion, then, quite frankly, i don't want to communicate with you.

Whether Ken wants to act upon the suggestions he's given, that's on him. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be disheartened if Ken decided to just somehow overlook my suggestions. But, believe it or not, my sentiments and suggestions have been shared by various TLSers (and yes, the majority of which are URMs). so, Ken , in ignoring my request, would be doing everyone on this site a disservice, especially URMs. This is what it is.

And, what if there were more than a few URM moderators? what's the issue with making sure URMs are represented as mods and not just users?

Apparently, as you've acknowledged, some TLS posters aren't "too cool" to bash minorities.

I can't believe this! I offer a suggestion for increased awareness of diversity and an effort to deter discrimination on TLS and I'm facing this backlash from TLSers. In a way, my case in point is proven.


Not so. But you could just go away and do us all a service that way.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests