GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GIANTS4242
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:29 pm

GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby GIANTS4242 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:31 pm

Please do not view my December 2009 LSAT score as an indicative measure of my future success in law school. I was working full time, taking an LSAT prep course and was offered an internship position which I accepted. Although I kept my LSAT studying my top priority, I eventually exhausted myself toward the end of November and became ill. A 149 is far below my February LSAT and especially well below my practice tests leading up to the December LSAT.

User avatar
Kiersten1985
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby Kiersten1985 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:35 pm

You need to rewrite this. It's choppy and not thought-out.

I would also lose the bit about keeping the LSAT your top priority. It doesn't make sense.

User avatar
soullogical
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:45 am

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby soullogical » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:38 pm

Man that's rough...

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:41 pm

GIANTS4242 wrote:Please do not view my December 2009 LSAT score as an indicative measure of my future success in law school. I was working full time, taking an LSAT prep course and was offered an internship position which I accepted. Although I kept my LSAT studying my top priority, I eventually exhausted myself toward the end of November and became ill. A 149 is far below my February LSAT and especially well below my practice tests leading up to the December LSAT.


Shortly before the December 2009 LSAT I fell ill. It was a mistake to take under those conditions. That score does not reflect my potential.

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby ogman05 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:43 pm

ouch. I dont even know what to say. How is there such a score disparity? That is a serious diffference.

roadkilllaw
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:07 am

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby roadkilllaw » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:You need to rewrite this. It's choppy and not thought-out.

I would also lose the bit about keeping the LSAT your top priority. It doesn't make sense.


+1000
You can't say that the LSAT was your top priority when there's such a huge score drop, that just reflects really poorly on you. Just explain that you had an internship and was ill but made a poor decision not to cancel.

GIANTS4242
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:29 pm

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby GIANTS4242 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:04 pm

I'm beyond the shock of the score difference, I think they will cut me some slack, I do want to write a million excuses I think the score difference speaks for itself.

sperry
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby sperry » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:03 pm

How the hell can you do that bad and not have known it? Makes me think you may have just won an absurd amount of coin flip guesses the first time you took it.

Sourpunch
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:23 am

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby Sourpunch » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Seriously, not cancelling December 09 is the biggest mistake of your life. Why would you keep the score when you must have known, coming out of the exam, that you fucked up?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Sourpunch wrote:Seriously, not cancelling December 09 is the biggest mistake of your life. Why would you keep the score when you must have known, coming out of the exam, that you fucked up?


Most schools in the 165 range only care about highest score so it won't be the worst mistake, unless he'll lead an easy life. But yea not canceling was stupid.

roadkilllaw
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:07 am

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby roadkilllaw » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:26 am

GIANTS4242 wrote:I'm beyond the shock of the score difference, I think they will cut me some slack, I do want to write a million excuses I think the score difference speaks for itself.


don't write a million excuses, but you do need to address the difference in a addendum since it's so significant. just say that "the dec score is not indicative of my abilities, as shown by my sept score" and give 1 good reason like illness, or family affliction- not the essay about how you were taking a prep course (makes you sound like an idiot) or how you got an internship (shows bad time management skills)

TaiRuiJin
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby TaiRuiJin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:30 am

Amen to Desert Fox's comment. Focus on illness, which was the most out of your control.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby ruleser » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:
GIANTS4242 wrote:Please do not view my December 2009 LSAT score as an indicative measure of my future success in law school. I was working full time, taking an LSAT prep course and was offered an internship position which I accepted. Although I kept my LSAT studying my top priority, I eventually exhausted myself toward the end of November and became ill. A 149 is far below my February LSAT and especially well below my practice tests leading up to the December LSAT.


Shortly before the December 2009 LSAT I fell ill. It was a mistake to take under those conditions. That score does not reflect my potential, as evidenced by my previous score.

But honestly, why not just go head on at it and use:

Version A
We're both thinking it. WTF? I know. What can I say? I was ill and shouldn't have taken it. I did rather well the first time and practiced above that range all along, I thought even as sick, feverish, and exhausted as I felt I could still push through it. It was a bad idea.
(though still, even with this, they'd be thinking what if you are sick for finals, will you fail out?)

So I recommend Version B:

So this chick with really, really... not just big tits, but really, really beautiful skin, and a softness about her, and the most amazing scent that I don't even think was perfume, sat down next to me. I knew as far as the test was concerned it was done. But I wasn't leaving come Hell or high water. Yes, my score blew, but: A) I knew I already had a decent one in tow, so no biggie, and, B) Bro, I got digits!!! Don't be a hater, just forget about the whole thing and let's talk about Feb 09.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:38 am

Honestly, I'd just make up something good.

SandyC877
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 am

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:39 am

stop making it a big deal. adcoms know 165 to a 149 isn't just a bad day or a bubbling error. Just explain you were sick and don't highlight your underperformance so much.

keep it short and sweet.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:41 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:Honestly, I'd just make up something good.


Honestly, I'd ding someone for being too stupid to not do the above. FWIW

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby sibley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:47 am

SandyC877 wrote:stop making it a big deal. adcoms know 165 to a 149 isn't just a bad day or a bubbling error. Just explain you were sick and don't highlight your underperformance so much.

keep it short and sweet.


+1. 'I was ill and should have cancelled the test.'

Maybe add the reason you didn't cancel was that you are the kind of person who follows through, and you'd been studying for a long time. Tell them you had a fever and were drugged up and it messed with your reasoning skills.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby ruleser » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:52 am

Just out of curiosity, what percentil is a 149? I guess that's about 49th, eh?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:13 am

Please view my February 2009 LSAT score as indicative of my potential for law school success. I was ill leading up to and during the December 2009 test.

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: GOT 165 feb 09 - got 149 Dec. 09 ADDENDUM PLZ READ

Postby superserial » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:41 am

"My roommate roofied my coffee."




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, BrittanyJeream, echonov, Lexaholik, sublime and 4 guests