For the HLS Class of 2013 - Summer Travel Group?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GypsyGrL

For the HLS Class of 2013 - Summer Travel Group?

Postby GypsyGrL » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:12 pm

I've decided to use TLS as a forum to lament/seek solutions to a problem I am awesomely fortunate to have. I'm going to be quitting my job in late May and starting HLS in the fall, so this is my last summer to rock out and have fabulous adventures before having to work again for the rest of my life. I'm trying to plan a sweet trip overseas, but I've been out of UG for 2 and a half years and most of my friends have jobs the prevent them from being able to join me on an international expedition for more than a week or so. I know what a double standard this is, but I would probably be more open to traveling alone as a 20-something male than I am as a 20-something female so I'm trying to recruit others with similarly newfound freedom to join me. As I am about to be a poor student, I would be doing this on a budget - not thinking about luxury hotels and 5 course meals. I am totally geographically open, aside from not wanting to spend too much time in Spain after having lived there for a semester abroad.

I am NOT trying to put together a random group of TLSers because god knows that could be disastrous, BUT I am sort of taking a shot in the dark wondering if there are any other HLS 2013 kids out there in a similar boat who might want to chat at some point/plan to meet up on admitted students weekend and discuss potential travel plans. It could be a ridiculously fun way to get to know classmates to travel in a small group before starting school, plus, if we meet and decide that we all suck ass, there are no obligations whatsoever. I know this is pretty risky, but I play well with others and figure it's worth at least putting feelers out.

Thoughts from the HLS crowd??

8)

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

GypsyGrL

Re: For the HLS Class of 2013 - Summer Travel Group?

Postby GypsyGrL » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:32 am

Damn. Tough crowd.

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:37 am

Oh hey that sounds like a cool idea. I'm HLS 2013 too (probably). I'm trying to save up money to do something after Mayish maybe. I"ll have been out for 3 years.

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:37 am

I dont think i want to travel with anyone but it'd be interesting to hear what people plan to do.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:42 am

GypsyGrL wrote:
I am NOT trying to put together a random group of TLSers because god knows that could be disastrous, BUT I am sort of taking a shot in the dark wondering if there are any other HLS 2013 kids out there in a similar boat who might want to chat at some point/plan to meet up on admitted students weekend and discuss potential travel plans. It could be a ridiculously fun way to get to know classmates to travel in a small group before starting school, plus, if we meet and decide that we all suck ass, there are no obligations whatsoever. I know this is pretty risky, but I play well with others and figure it's worth at least putting feelers out.

Thoughts from the HLS crowd??

8)

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

My, aren't we discriminatory. Random group of TLSers v. Random group of future classmates you don't know. Seems like if could be disasterous either way.

GypsyGrL

Postby GypsyGrL » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:14 pm

Could be, but I figured we could try and mitigate that by meeting up at admitted students weekend and seeing whether we're still interested. I realize does make for an awkward situation to have to say no at that point but a lot of stuff can really come up to change peoples plans...enough that excuses/"no's" would be totally fine. Not something to take personally. I also realize I myself am oddly open to situations like this - didn't expect a lot of takers on this thread.

I'll probably just plan to book my friends for a week at a time when they can take vacation from work. I really would travel alone if I thought it was totally safe but I don't want to feel limited when I'm traveling by being a young girl alone. I want to experience everything I can wherever I go.

Watching "Taken" last weekend certainly didn't help, either. FML.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”