apply for joint degree program now or later?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
madcherrylimas

apply for joint degree program now or later?

Postby madcherrylimas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:09 am

I'm applying to Northwestern and I'm interested in their LLM in International Human Rights. I am wondering, however, if I should only apply to their JD program, and apply for the LLM after my first year; I'm concerned that if I wouldn't get accepted into the LLM program, then I wouldn't get accepted into either. Or would I still be able to get into the JD program?

Hattori Hanzo

Re: apply for joint degree program now or later?

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:41 am

It varies by school so you should call and ask. I want to do a JD/MBA and decided to wait and apply during 1L because a) that limits the number of MBA applications that I send out to one and considerably reduces the amount of time, money and most of all anxiety b) I have heard in most cases already being in law school somewhat helps in getting into the 2nd program at the same U.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:58 am

I am waiting to apply to a JD/PHD because I want to take an elective or two in Philosophy first. Maybe then I can get a LOR from a professor which would increase my chances of getting accepted. It seems pretty reasonable that you would have a better chance of getting in once you've gotten good grades in your first semester.

madcherrylimas

Postby madcherrylimas » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:05 pm

that helps. thanks.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:27 pm

madcherrylimas wrote:I'm applying to Northwestern and I'm interested in their LLM in International Human Rights. I am wondering, however, if I should only apply to their JD program, and apply for the LLM after my first year; I'm concerned that if I wouldn't get accepted into the LLM program, then I wouldn't get accepted into either. Or would I still be able to get into the JD program?

it depends on how much you want to do the LLM... if you apply during 1L, you really only have 1 opportunity to get in since you're limiting yourself to 1 school... if you can live without the LLM, then it's fine to take that chance. A lot of schools evaluate the applications independently, so I'd just give them a call or do some research to see if that's the case (so you don't need to worry about getting rejected from both)

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:34 pm

check with the school. most schools require your first year grades before you can apply to a jd/llm program.

madcherrylimas

Postby madcherrylimas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:47 am

All right I'm going to call them to double check. I would like to do the LLM, but it's not the deal breaker for me.

Thanks.

madcherrylimas

Postby madcherrylimas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:06 pm

for the curious: they said if I get rejected from the JD-LLM I go straight to the JD applicant pile.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”