Is it really THAT impossible to get a job before 1L?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thewolfandpeter

Re: Is it really THAT impossible to get a job before 1L?

Postby thewolfandpeter » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:58 am

betasteve wrote:
thewolfandpeter wrote:
betasteve wrote:OP serves as proof of the douchbaggery of USC.

LOLLLLLL

I just never understood the purpose of a liberal arts major (excluding premed) unless you want the easiest way to a great gpa KNOWING you will some day go to law school. the B- curve (now a 3.0 curve) at usc b-school fucked a lot of us over

You know math technically is a liberal arts major?

My mistake, I didnt actually mean all liberal arts majors...just the ones that obviously sound pretty useless IMO...econ is great, as is math. The smartest i-banker I know is a math major...plenty of econ majors have solid job offers too

thewolfandpeter

Postby thewolfandpeter » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:01 am

Halibut6 wrote:I don't understand the attitude that people have about business majors being comparatively difficult. I have a business minor and have taken plenty of UG business classes, and they are generally less difficult than my average college class, including "easy" liberal arts classes.

The business curve is a pain, the top students are equally smart and a 93% or higher has gotten curved to a B+ in several of my classes son. Way easier to ace my intro LAS GE and writing classes, no curve or it gets curved up

thewolfandpeter

Postby thewolfandpeter » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:03 am

forza wrote:
thewolfandpeter wrote:the lack of competition/reputation at a state school must hurt your chances at a top tier law school

You'd think Mr. Big Shot with a B.S. in business from USC would understand the law school admissions process a little better than this.

3.9/180 English major from CS-Northridge wins over 3.4/180 business major from USC practically every time, all else equal.

I understand this, the 3.9 170 beats the 3.4 170 every time. This was not my point at all...LAS major is fine if you are CERTAIN you want to enter law school as a senior in highschool...too early to 100% commit to a career...and other than that a big pain ITE

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:05 am

Is this a flame or another "my major is better" circle jerk?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:34 am

Credit wrote:OP has offended my classics degree. It feels worthless. :cry:

It's a little sad that usefulness in the job market has become the only metric on which the "worth" of fields of study is based.

Many of use chose our majors knowing full well that any life course for us would involve graduate studies of some sort. It is a pain that we can't get some menial job to fill a year, but it's not as though we ever expected to get a BA in awesome stuff and then build a career on that.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:07 am

WeaponX wrote:
I would much rather earn 50k a couple of years and jump to 110k+...maybe even 130k (I'll forget about the 160k's for right now)....as a starting salary for a legal position, regardless of hours worked. I really dont want to stay in the slave factory we call Corporate America forever.

Money hungry and materialistic--everything that's wrong with America and the world. Great news that I'll be attending law school with tons of people like this.

Money makes the world go around. That and bombs - remember who invented the Internet.

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:41 pm

People in this thread are acting like engineering majors arn't out of work right now, which is blatantly untrue. I only know 3 people who graduated with a masters in engineering since the economy asploded, but all three of them have been out of work for over 6 months. One of them told me he wished he had taken a liberal arts major instead of the supposedly safe engineering degree, so at least he would have skills that might apply to other fields.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Trifles wrote:People in this thread are acting like engineering majors arn't out of work right now, which is blatantly untrue. I only know 3 people who graduated with a masters in engineering since the economy asploded, but all three of them have been out of work for over 6 months. One of them told me he wished he had taken a liberal arts major instead of the supposedly safe engineering degree, so at least he would have skills that might apply to other fields.

Obviously this is anecdotal but most of the people I know graduating in engineering have jobs lined (undergrad, none of the grad students I know right now are graduating and granted most people I know are going straight to grad school)

I know one guy going to Bungie, two to Google, one to Beckman Coulter (with a 2.7 and no connections no less), I know someone going to JP Morgan with an analyst position, One person going to Proctor and Gamble and I personally turned down an offer to work with Rockwell Collins doing RF (to go to law school) . All of the people have about 3-3.5 GPAs, the guy going to Bungie has a 3.65 I think.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:39 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
thewolfandpeter wrote:...there's no way you can compete with the business...majors to land a real job...

AHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

+100

God, the level of arrogance displayed by the OP is something that I would expect from the engineers (whose pride and bragging about the worth of their major is backed by hard numbers), rather than a guy whose major's average starting salary is around 46K and even less if he is business administration ($44K).

Credit

Postby Credit » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:55 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Credit wrote:OP has offended my classics degree. It feels worthless. :cry:

It's a little sad that usefulness in the job market has become the only metric on which the "worth" of fields of study is based.

Many of use chose our majors knowing full well that any life course for us would involve graduate studies of some sort. It is a pain that we can't get some menial job to fill a year, but it's not as though we ever expected to get a BA in awesome stuff and then build a career on that.

+1. By the time I settled on my major I knew I was going to pursue law

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:10 pm

thewolfandpeter wrote:it was your choice to major in classics or some other BS like basket-weaving and slide into your 3.7+, and there's no way you can compete with the business or accounting majors to land a real job.

Basket-weaving, classics. Practically the same thing.

fphoenix85

Postby fphoenix85 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:15 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
deathviaboredom wrote:
thewolfandpeter wrote:

LOLLLLLL

I just never understood the purpose of a liberal arts major (excluding premed) unless you want the easiest way to a great gpa KNOWING you will some day go to law school. the B- curve (now a 3.0 curve) at usc b-school fucked a lot of us over

I'm sorry hon, but FINANCE, ACCOUNTING, and the like, are just as much BS.

The following are real majors:

1. Math (In the following order: theoretical, applied)
2. Physics (theoretical)
3. Engineering. (In the following order: aeronautical, electrical, chemical, mechanical, civil)
4. Other sciences EXCEPT geology, oceanography, environmental science, and the like.

Everything else is bullshit.

Love,

DvB

PS: You, OP, are a douchebag.

Lol, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.. Geology classes can be extremely difficult(know from experience). Econ majors are extremely valued for their analytical abilty. There is nothing BS about accounting. I also dont understand why you are putting applied math below theoretical math( 2 very different thing) and seperating applied physics from theoretical(applied is more like engineering, while theoretical is stuff like astrophysics where the usefulness is debateable.)

I agree, it's kind of rash to discount majors that you probably don't have any experience with. Accounting/finance prepares you for "real work" in a way that pure math (that's generally what the major's called fwiw, not "theoretical") and other more "intense" majors don't. By the way, to excel in finance you have to be insanely smart, most recently-minted finance PhD's would blow math PhD's out of the water (this coming from someone with two math degrees) and could likely get close to 180 on the LSAT if they wanted. There are very smart, motivated people in every major, so it's kind of dumb to hype up things like business or hard sciences or whatever as the only "real" or "useful" ones.
Last edited by fphoenix85 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:17 pm

people really need to stop jerking off their UNDERGRADUATE majors around here

redsox

Postby redsox » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:13 pm

thewolfandpeter wrote:

LOLLLLLL

Econ? Math?

zanyventer

Postby zanyventer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:22 pm

government major with a 60k+ job here... in business.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Definitely not going to read through all the replies on this post but to make a comment about engineers ... I attend a decent sized HBCU (I'm an engineering major) and I know quite a few (at least 10) people who just graduated in December and are making 70k+ entry level so I think the job market as a whole has a lot to do with location, industry and your personal qualifications. And although getting a B.A. is not for me I think many people should have had better plans for what to do with their degrees rather than wait for graduation and see who throws you some scraps. And if I repeated what any of the above posters have said please forgive me.

fangonk

Postby fangonk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:40 pm

This a seriously schizophrenic thread. Granted its late at night, but I have no idea what anyone is debating here. Its too bad because I think the original premise concerning the prospects of landing some sort of (presumably law related) job or internship before applying for law school is an interesting one.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”