Is it really THAT impossible to get a job before 1L?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Borhas

Re: Is it really THAT impossible to get a job before 1L?

Postby Borhas » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:26 pm

thewolfandpeter wrote:
*I have to agree that if you are going for the intellectually stimulating major of your choice, at cheaper state school (like CSU Northridge or something) would suit your better --- but the lack of competition/reputation at a state school must hurt your chances at a top tier law school, and would be a slap in the face to those who had great SAT scores and great high school gpas

How exactly is it a slap in the face of anyone?

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:29 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Working in the non-profit sector, I have no problem whatsover living on my own. You don't need to make 50k+ to have an apartment, food, clothes, and even some money for going out, gifts, and charities on the side.

Cough cough you missed a car note. Besides I didn't even say 50K. But you do need a 35K pre tax salary to be certain you can take care of things unless you live somewhere like N. Dakota or Mississippi. Besides something tells me that you don't have significant educational debt (or significant debt of any other kind).

Lol, the median personal income for people above 18 in the US is $25,149. I think you might be a little out of touch with how the majority of people really live.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:32 pm

Trifles wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
Working in the non-profit sector, I have no problem whatsover living on my own. You don't need to make 50k+ to have an apartment, food, clothes, and even some money for going out, gifts, and charities on the side.

Cough cough you missed a car note. Besides I didn't even say 50K. But you do need a 35K pre tax salary to be certain you can take care of things unless you live somewhere like N. Dakota or Mississippi. Besides something tells me that you don't have significant educational debt (or significant debt of any other kind).

Lol, the median personal income for people above 18 in the US is $25,149. I think you might be a little out of touch with how the majority of people really live.

Trust me I'm not. I'm black and from the "hood". The issue is that you are a little out of touch with the fact that A. most people don't live well, if you want to get technical with the term most 2. Most people live under a massive amount of debt. and 3. Most people don't live in major metropolitan areas. Now if you are fine with living in a non metropolitan area and/or with a massive amount of debt (which most people do). Then making 25K a year pre tax is fine.

yo!

Postby yo! » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:04 am

thewolfandpeter wrote:
betasteve wrote:OP serves as proof of the douchbaggery of USC.

LOLLLLLL

I just never understood the purpose of a liberal arts major (excluding premed) unless you want the easiest way to a great gpa KNOWING you will some day go to law school. the B- curve (now a 3.0 curve) at usc b-school fucked a lot of us over

Primary school teachers are often liberal arts majors. Employment difficulty depends on where you live. I live basically at ground zero of the housing crisis and things are pretty rough. I am lucky enough to earn about 40k per year after graduating last June, but I got that job through connections rather than my shitty Social Science degree. Most of my friends are either collecting unemployment or working retail jobs. However, I have no regrets. I didn't go to school for vocational training. I studied something that I enjoyed and I wasn't particualrly concerned with my salary upon graduation.

EDIT: BTW, I went to a CSU and graduated with no debt, so atleast my useless degree was super cheap!

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:18 am

I've got a sick job at a pizza place and political science degree, about to turn 21. Enjoy your finance, I'm going to enjoy my time well spent between now and law school.

tintin

Postby tintin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:21 am

man im glad i didnt go to school with you...

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:22 am

I don't understand the attitude that people have about business majors being comparatively difficult. I have a business minor and have taken plenty of UG business classes, and they are generally less difficult than my average college class, including "easy" liberal arts classes.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:27 am

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:Campaigns love to hire young, energetic folks and are, by their very nature, time limited. Opportunities abound if you are creative, able to work hard, and willing to accept a lower starting salary.

I know a bunch of people who have gotten involved in politics and campaign politics, but they all knew someone who got them a job. I don't think it's the kind of thing you can just walk in to.

Having known hundreds of people in the field, I have to disagree with you. Many folks whom I know spent 1-3 months volunteering, got noticed, and then got hired full-time.

Doesn't that prove the point? You can't just get hired by the campaign, you have to build contacts.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:29 am

ITT: insults pretend to be questions, douchebags pretend to be curious

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:35 am

What is the point of this post?

Are you wondering if it's hard to get a job ITE before law school or are you making fun of people who have a liberal arts degree?

forza

Postby forza » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:41 am

thewolfandpeter wrote:the lack of competition/reputation at a state school must hurt your chances at a top tier law school

You'd think Mr. Big Shot with a B.S. in business from USC would understand the law school admissions process a little better than this.

3.9/180 English major from CS-Northridge wins over 3.4/180 business major from USC practically every time, all else equal.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:53 am

i graduated from an ivy league school with a 3.4. i have internship experience, worked my way through college, and graduated in 3 years. i was a history major, granted, but i've worked in marketing and as a legal intern, and i've also tutored on the side for 5 years. i have been unemployed since may. shoot me in the face.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:54 am

NayBoer wrote:ITT: insults pretend to be questions, douchebags pretend to be curious

+1

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:58 am

Dont insult all Liberal Arts majors.. Im an Econ major at a state school and most of the Econ grads I know are doing just fine.

redsox

Postby redsox » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:03 am

tkgrrett wrote:Dont insult all Liberal Arts majors.. Im an Econ major at a state school and most of the Econ grads I know are doing just fine.

Econ > Business

deathviaboredom

Postby deathviaboredom » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:10 am

thewolfandpeter wrote:

LOLLLLLL

I just never understood the purpose of a liberal arts major (excluding premed) unless you want the easiest way to a great gpa KNOWING you will some day go to law school. the B- curve (now a 3.0 curve) at usc b-school fucked a lot of us over

I'm sorry hon, but FINANCE, ACCOUNTING, and the like, are just as much BS.

The following are real majors:

1. Math (In the following order: theoretical, applied)
2. Physics (theoretical)
3. Engineering. (In the following order: aeronautical, electrical, chemical, mechanical, civil)
4. Other sciences EXCEPT geology, oceanography, environmental science, and the like.

Everything else is bullshit.

Love,

DvB

PS: You, OP, are a douchebag.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:17 am

deathviaboredom wrote:
thewolfandpeter wrote:

LOLLLLLL

2. Physics (theoretical)
3. Engineering. (In the following order: aeronautical, electrical, chemical, mechanical, civil)
4. Other sciences EXCEPT geology, oceanography, environmental science, and the like.

Love,

DvB

I might have to put chemical above electrical on this one (it might just be that I suck at chemistry but it always seemed harder but thats coming from someone that is EE. Also, I wouldn't put civil on a list that didn't have BioE or BME before it) I can't really speak to the difficulty of AE since I only know like 2 people that are...

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:22 am

deathviaboredom wrote:
thewolfandpeter wrote:

LOLLLLLL

2. Physics (theoretical)

Love,

DvB

Lol, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.. Geology classes can be extremely difficult(know from experience). Econ majors are extremely valued for their analytical abilty. There is nothing BS about accounting. I also dont understand why you are putting applied math below theoretical math( 2 very different thing) and seperating applied physics from theoretical(applied is more like engineering, while theoretical is stuff like astrophysics where the usefulness is debateable.)

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:31 am

Wow, OP. You're a tool. You clearly can't tell the difference between fluency in Attic Greek and underwater basket weaving. Way to go.

biggamejames

Postby biggamejames » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:42 am

macattaq wrote:Wow, OP. You're a tool. You clearly can't tell the difference between fluency in Attic Greek and underwater basket weaving. Way to go.

Classics FTW :mrgreen:

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:33 am

Last edited by Panther7 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:34 am

thewolfandpeter wrote:...there's no way you can compete with the business...majors to land a real job...

AHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Credit

Postby Credit » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:36 am

OP has offended my classics degree. It feels worthless. :cry:

WeaponX

Postby WeaponX » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:52 am

I would much rather earn 50k a couple of years and jump to 110k+...maybe even 130k (I'll forget about the 160k's for right now)....as a starting salary for a legal position, regardless of hours worked. I really dont want to stay in the slave factory we call Corporate America forever.

Money hungry and materialistic--everything that's wrong with America and the world. Great news that I'll be attending law school with tons of people like this.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:55 am

Graduated poli sci from a state school with a 3.2. Back in 2007 I had about 7 paralegal offers to choose from. Back in 2007...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”