Does Applying for FAFSA Effect One's Chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
clint4law

Does Applying for FAFSA Effect One's Chances?

Postby clint4law » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:07 pm

I applied to several schools in September and did not plan on applying for FAFSA. In the past month, I've experienced a significant change in my financial situation and may end up applying afterall. My question is do I need to inform these schools that I now seek to apply for FAFSA? If so, can any offers I already received be retracted?

FreshPrince

Re: Does Applying for FAFSA Effect One's Chances?

Postby FreshPrince » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:13 pm

You should fill out and submit the FASFA regardless of whether you think you need financial aid or not. You never know what you might qualify for.

As for the schools you've already applied to, unless they specifically said "tell us if you intend to fill out the FASFA" I wouldn't think they care if you do or not. When you fill out the FASFA, it will ask for school codes of the institutions you wish for your information to be sent to. Those schools will automatically receive notification that you have filled out the FASFA and what you are expected to contribute towards your tuition.

Trifles

Postby Trifles » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Basically every single applicant applies for some sort of loan through fafsa, it will not hurt you to apply. You couldn't have even filled out the fafsa form until yesterday, so don't worry about it, unless you specifically said you would not apply for financial aid.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:40 am

Trifles wrote:Basically every single applicant applies for some sort of loan through fafsa, it will not hurt you to apply. You couldn't have even filled out the fafsa form until yesterday, so don't worry about it, unless you specifically said you would not apply for financial aid.

yes, i explicitly stated that i would not be applying.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:16 pm

bump

lawimbecile

Postby lawimbecile » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:18 pm

Does applying for FAFSA effect one's chances?
No.

Does applying for FAFSA affect one's chances?
No.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”