Some advice please

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
soda mayor

Some advice please

Postby soda mayor » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Last edited by soda mayor on Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

rw2264

Re: Some advice please

Postby rw2264 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 am

disability law? the setting up on conservatorships and guardianships maybe. these wouldn't be hands on. so maybe rethink going to law school.

soda mayor

Postby soda mayor » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:02 am

well the job i currently have pays about 20k a year but that works for me because im still in college..i couldn't make a living doing this. Also, i don't necessarily need the hands on position I have. Working behind the scenes for a cause i believe in is satisfaction enough. Surely, there must be a field of law that could allow me to tackle this sort of work.

Any thoughts or suggestions are very appreciated.

Guys, this is one of those rare opportunities where a response to my post can be life changing!

see18

Postby see18 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:55 am

soda mayor wrote:well the job i currently have pays about 20k a year but that works for me because im still in college..i couldn't make a living doing this. Also, i don't necessarily need the hands on position I have. Working behind the scenes for a cause i believe in is satisfaction enough. Surely, there must be a field of law that could allow me to tackle this sort of work.

Any thoughts or suggestions are very appreciated.

Guys, this is one of those rare opportunities where a response to my post can be life changing!

I'm positive there is something you can do with a JD. A JD is such a useful degree for so many different fields, and legal guardianship work would just be one way to go. The health care system for the mentally ill in our country is appalling, so maybe health care law? I have similar numbers to you with a slightly lower gpa (164, 3.75), and so far I've got into 5 schools, one of which you applied to (Cardozo) so I'd branch out with those numbers maybe. You have very solid numbers, and I'm sure plenty of schools would be more than happy to have you. Also, if you don't necessarily want to practice law, I wouldn't worry so much about where you go, just who you meet, so maybe take a good scholarship offer over a slightly higher school with no money. The less debt you have, the more freedom you'll have to do what you want if it pays less.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:24 am

soda mayor wrote: What school would be best for this? Is there anywhere else I should be applying?

I'm not sure that you're going to find a school that specializes in disability law. As another poster suggests, health care law might be the closest category. With that in mind, I'm going to suggest the University of Maryland, which ranks third in USNWR's list of top 10 schools for healthcare law. (I have no idea how sound these specialty rankings are, but it's at least a place to start.) Maryland is a respected school and you have the numbers to get in.

Aside from the health care stuff, I suggest expanding your law school search beyond New York city. You have the numbers to get into several schools in the T50, including a few on the East Coast.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”