Fee waiver inquiries?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
njskatchmo
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: Fee waiver inquiries?

Postby njskatchmo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 pm

.
Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rw2264
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:59 am

Re: Fee waiver inquiries?

Postby rw2264 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:51 pm

so far my requests have been denied by:
USC
GWU
Michigan
Northwestern
Berkeley

have begun sending screenshots of my financial aid info from spring 09 (graduated may). wooo to this cycle making me unable to pay my rent

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Fee waiver inquiries?

Postby MissLucky » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:09 pm

rw2264 wrote:so far my requests have been denied by:
USC
GWU
Michigan
Northwestern
Berkeley

have begun sending screenshots of my financial aid info from spring 09 (graduated may). wooo to this cycle making me unable to pay my rent


damn. sorry.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: Fee waiver inquiries?

Postby democrattotheend » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:37 pm

sibley wrote:I also had a 170. I didn't include my GPA but I attached a screenshot of my senior year's financial aid.

berkeley
upenn - uhhh I forgot to ask them. crap.
michigan
duke
NW - only unsolicited
cornell - said they'd send one monday (closed)
GULC
GWU - doesn't offer merit-based fee waivers
fordham - waiting
UCLA - didn't bother asking, just applied regularly (they have a form on their website to request one)
USC - waiting


Are you sure about GW? Damn, I was hoping they would give me one.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: Fee waiver inquiries?

Postby democrattotheend » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:38 pm

njskatchmo wrote:Soliciting fee waivers only got me michigan, cornell, and UCLA. (173/3.6)


Any advice for how to solicit them? I have similar numbers and want to ask a few schools but I feel tacky. Any advice for how to do it?

gobears09
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: Fee waiver inquiries?

Postby gobears09 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:42 pm

I called USC today and they told me they are sending out another round of merit-based waivers later this week and that they don't respond to requests.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Fee waiver inquiries?

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:29 am

democrattotheend wrote:
sibley wrote:I also had a 170. I didn't include my GPA but I attached a screenshot of my senior year's financial aid.

berkeley
upenn - uhhh I forgot to ask them. crap.
michigan
duke
NW - only unsolicited
cornell - said they'd send one monday (closed)
GULC
GWU - doesn't offer merit-based fee waivers
fordham - waiting
UCLA - didn't bother asking, just applied regularly (they have a form on their website to request one)
USC - waiting


Are you sure about GW? Damn, I was hoping they would give me one.

I got one, but everyone else on TLS seems to have been told that they are not offered.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Fee waiver inquiries?

Postby eandy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:38 pm

When I asked American I got an email back about how its not fair to give people who request them waivers. haha

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fee waiver inquiries?

Postby sibley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:38 pm

eandy wrote:When I asked American I got an email back about how its not fair to give people who request them waivers. haha


+1. And so I'm not applying. They gave me a shoddy undergrad financial aid package, anyway.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Fee waiver inquiries?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:30 pm

eandy wrote:When I asked American I got an email back about how its not fair to give people who request them waivers. haha



That's stupid.

Some schools told me they reserve requested fee waiver's for in-state students only. I kind of get that.

But of course it's fair to give someone who asks a fee waiver, if they are deserving. Anyone can ask.

User avatar
rw2264
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:59 am

Re: Fee waiver inquiries?

Postby rw2264 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:37 pm

so far

(blank = no response)
rw2264 wrote:[strike]berkeley[/strike]
upenn
michigan
[strike]duke[/strike] said they use CRS and implied i might still get one
NW CRS
cornell sent me some automated message about need based waivers; will email again
GULC
[strike]GWU[/strike] don't give merit based
fordham need-based.
UCLA unsolicited, actually.
[strike]USC[/strike]




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], crookedsmile, LewD33 and 6 guests