Please help me: question about Diversity Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jasonmars

New

Please help me: question about Diversity

Post by jasonmars » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:38 pm

Hello,

first time poster here..

I see a lot of threads about diversity statements and there doesn't seem to be a consensus - just wanted to pick your brains one more time for further thought:

1) How long should a DS be?
2) If a school does not specifically say to submit a DS, can I still submit one anyways?

Thanks all for your help !

ExcitedBlutterance

Bronze

Re: Please help me: question about Diversity

Post by ExcitedBlutterance » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:55 pm

1) It should be just long enough to say the following: "Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

IHaveDietMoxie

Bronze

Post by IHaveDietMoxie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:42 pm

ExcitedBlutterance wrote:1) It should be just long enough to say the following: "Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."
this is a quality answer

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:08 pm

1 full page
Only if it is stellar.

jasonmars

New

Post by jasonmars » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:50 pm

thanks guys.

Just wanted to extend this thread a bit longer...

2) If a school does not specifically say to submit a DS, can I still submit one anyways?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ExcitedBlutterance

Bronze

Post by ExcitedBlutterance » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:23 pm

IHaveDietMoxie wrote:
ExcitedBlutterance wrote:1) It should be just long enough to say the following: "Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."
this is a quality answer
:D

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:27 pm

jasonmars wrote:thanks guys.

Just wanted to extend this thread a bit longer...

With few exceptions, yes. (UChicago hates unsolicited materials, for example.)

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:29 pm

if you are stretching to try to write about why you are diverse: 1page
if you have a great story, i don't see why you can't go to the second page. but don't go over 2 pages

i submitted my diversity statement with every application, regardless of if they asked for it.

laureng05

New

Post by laureng05 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:32 pm

on a related note, will it hurt me if i don't write a diversity statement? i'm an upper middle class, white female, and while i'm sure i could BS something about how since i'm older (27), that makes me diverse, but i'm not sure i could be all that convincing. thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:24 pm

laureng05 wrote:on a related note, will it hurt me if i don't write a diversity statement? i'm an upper middle class, white female, and while i'm sure i could BS something about how since i'm older (27), that makes me diverse, but i'm not sure i could be all that convincing. thoughts?
If you can come up with something legitimate enough for 1 page, then do it. Personally I don't see why peaople would not JUMP at the chance to try to tell more about themselves in applying to school. But if the fact that you are 27 is literally all you've got, then don't bother. But I'm 27, and I have some great professional work stories and stories from extracurricular activities and charity events that i can tell. That's what I would have used if I were not URM.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:01 pm

laureng05 wrote:on a related note, will it hurt me if i don't write a diversity statement? i'm an upper middle class, white female, and while i'm sure i could BS something about how since i'm older (27), that makes me diverse, but i'm not sure i could be all that convincing. thoughts?
So when adcomms are evaluating diversity statements from single mothers who worked their way through school, or from folks who grew up in tough neighborhoods or overcame severe physical disabilities, how will that make your diversity statement look by comparison?

Also consider that 27 isn't that old for a law school applicant. There are a lot of applicants who are your age or older.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:10 pm

If one is required, there should be length guidelines on the application.

If it's not required, I would only write one if I had something compelling to say. It doesn't sound like you do (not trying to sound harsh... that's just how I read your post) so I wouldn't send one in.

lawoftheland

New

Post by lawoftheland » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:11 pm

This is directly from an assistant director of admissions during an open house event, "no matter who you are, it's a good idea to include a diversity statement.... even if you don't think you're diverse, there must be something about you that makes you diverse."

And it went on like this.... I got the sense that this (and most likely most adcomms) want to believe they're attracting and admitting the most spectacularly diverse group of applicants possible. Don't let your audience down... submit that DS. ;)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”